Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:35 PM

253 posts, read 997,063 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Oakview section of Bloomfield (right next to Brookdale section) for the past 26 years. Coming from Caldwell, people thought we were nuts, and we were told horror stories back then about the school system.

Let me tell you........ our Oakview neighborhood looks pretty much the same as when we moved here with the exception of improvements. I can say the same for Brookdale, these neighborhoods don't change. As for the schools, I agree with BrookdaleResident - it's the family that makes the difference. Both children went through the school system, although one started at St. Thomas. I don't have any regrets. Yes, the school system is diverse, but I feel that prepared them for the real world. The high school offers classes for all levels of students, for those that want to take college level classes, and for those that are not college bound, they can explore career choices and get training through work-study programs. There's a level for everyone.

If you want Montclair but don't want to spend the $$, Brookdale is a good choice. If you are concerned about schools, explore alternatives: Lacodaire Academy and Montclair Kimberly Academy, both private schools in Montclair.

Yes, taxes just went up by about $700 per property in this neck of the woods.

I like the fact that we can get to Montclair for small town shopping or to Clifton for some larger stores, never having to get onto the highway. NY is close by, if that's of interest to you. All in all, lots to consider.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
The Brookdale section is still nice. The rest of Bloomfield started going downhill about 15 years ago. The South end that boarders East Orange, Newark and Belleville is quite scary these days.
haha. yea there's alot of scary minorities roaming through Bloomfield these days.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:49 PM

821 posts, read 2,038,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
haha. yea there's alot of scary minorities roaming through Bloomfield these days.
wow that sounds a little racist don't you think....

Old 10-30-2008, 10:25 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
wow that sounds a little racist don't you think....
it was humor not seriously written. I think people should stop being so paranoid. There are 5 threads on the front page alone regarding Quality of Bloomfield. It seems people like this town because it's affordable diverse convenient and whatever other reason, so why question so many things? Whiteflight was the result of a few blacks moving in few by few somehow magically pushing the whites out. That was in the old days it's a whole new world today.

I don't think Newark area is that bad. It's never safe to walk out late at night anywhere unless ur a tall scary looking guy like me maybe. The real dangerous areas are central/south/irvington where even thugs are scared to walk outside in their neighborhood late. Police stay on top of things I think Bloomfield is safe. Look on city-data, how many murders does it have? 2? The population is 60,000 that's alot. And I don't think eastorange is a dangerzone people make it out to be.

oh School systems if anything I think is the most important concern. I happend to like middleclass towns like Bloomfield education is down to earth, challenging yet feasible for the kids to get good grades. Don't know specifically bloomfield but I came from a similar school and so did my cousins, they're now studying at MarylandU, Villanova, and Rutgers

Old 10-30-2008, 11:21 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,382 times
It might have been a joke... but thats what some people are believing (by reading some of these posts) that when Bloomfield was mostly italians it was a great town but now that there is some diversity in the town - its gone "down hill". I agree no matter where you live you need to be careful and watch out. things happen everywhere and at any time.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 9,443 times
I've lived in the Oakview section for about 24 years and to this day think it is a great neighborhood. Let me point out some of the great things about Oakview.

*There is a decamp bus that takes you directly into NYC and shuttle access to and from the Grove st train station that connects you to the Newark path station.

*Route 3 and Garden State Parkway a mile away, which gives you immediate access to practically every major highway/interstate in NJ.

*Firestation 1/4 mile away.

*Many police officers live in the immediate area. Always a police presence, whether it be NJSP, Essex county, or Bloomfield. The entrance for NJSP is in the Oakview section, Essex county sheriffs are always around because of Brookdale Park, and Bloomfield has always patrolled the area regularly. Very safe neighborhood IMO.

*A 5 minute ride can bring you to Clifton Commons, StyerTowne Shopping center, department stores, great restaurants, and grocery markets.

*Brookdale park was recently renovated with a new soccer/football field, running track, tennis court, kiddie playground and even a dog playground. Yantecaw Park and Vassar field deserve an honorable mention as well.

*Very family and neighborhood oriented.

Everyone on this forum seems to live a very sheltered life and are quick to point out negatives about a town based on one section alone. Yes, the southern border near Newark isn't desireable like the Oakview/Brookdale section, but no way do I feel unsafe in those parts. You also have to consider a lot of those areas are also going through redevelopment.

FYI: I went to college in Newark and work in downtown Jersey City. If you have any type of brains in your head it is easy to feel and BE safe even in the roughest neighborhoods.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:07 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
I think it is interesting that the people who "rah rah" for Bloomfield all seem to live in the Oakview/Brookdale section. That is, if course, the "nice" end of town and a great area to live. The south end has definitely gone downhill. I lived in Bloomfield for over 20 years (on the south end), left about 12 years ago. When I go back to visit relatives, I can see the blatant change. Many of the areas that were quite nice 15 years ago, are "run down" looking these days. The parts that border East Orange and Newark are downright scary. I wonder if the the "Brookdale" people would like to sell and re-buy on Abington Avenue, Willow Street or West Street. Not trying to knock anyone, just trying to point out that Bloomfield consists of a lot more than just the Oakview/Brookdale section.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:00 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I think it is interesting that the people who "rah rah" for Bloomfield all seem to live in the Oakview/Brookdale section. That is, if course, the "nice" end of town and a great area to live. The south end has definitely gone downhill. I lived in Bloomfield for over 20 years (on the south end), left about 12 years ago. When I go back to visit relatives, I can see the blatant change. Many of the areas that were quite nice 15 years ago, are "run down" looking these days. The parts that border East Orange and Newark are downright scary. I wonder if the the "Brookdale" people would like to sell and re-buy on Abington Avenue, Willow Street or West Street. Not trying to knock anyone, just trying to point out that Bloomfield consists of a lot more than just the Oakview/Brookdale section.
I used to know two losers who ran and owned Josie's House of Taralles! The one kid was named Vinny. BOy these were the two biggest losers you ever met. Does the name ring a bell???

Old 11-04-2008, 01:04 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I used to know two losers who ran and owned Josie's House of Taralles! The one kid was named Vinny. BOy these were the two biggest losers you ever met. Does the name ring a bell???
Oh yeah. They are the biggest losers in the world. I'll DM you with the details of what I know.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,830 times
Smile interesting...

i'm not a blogger and joined simply to see what goes on here. i find it interesting that we are willing to put stock in something a total stranger tells us. they know nothing about us, our values, our personality type, income, etc. the simple question of is something bad or good leaves room for so much intepretation.

cars are stolen, people are mugged, dogs are taken and restaurants close down everywhere...even in the best of towns.

it should go without saying that if one is looking for a "reasonable" place to live then the county should not border manhattan. if you can't afford to pay $500K+ for a house you can't do it. comparing bloomfield to upper montclair and caldwell is silly and probably frustrating.

in this economy crime is up everywhere. do your due diligence (home work) which means you cannot do your research from your computer. drive around. i will say this. i grew up in south orange. i bought in bloomfield 10 years ago b/c if you think bloomfield's taxes are high don't look at my home town and others like it. you don't move to towns like south orange and montclair for low taxes.

given that i will say that towns take a long time to regentrify. it doesn't happen overnight. bloomfield's watsessing heights section is vacant with respect to businesses due to this process. no town is perfect. i love my town! i call it "the new montclair" and people laugh and then they ask me what's for sale over there. i live right on the border and my neighbors are great. the nyc train and bus is 3 blocks away. i walk to the post office, park, the groomer, the bodega, cvs and great mexican food and chinese. glen ridge is across the street and the new yorkers and twenty somethings are coming along with the ladies (and men) in the baby carriages. for the money--it is secret! when the new stores move it will be too late.

just my two cents...i love bloomfield...and south orange too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey