Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Lie so many other non-taxed and taxed organization, thats impossible. There are candidates that support the official views of the church, and others who do not. Of course they will support the candidate who reinforces their views.

What does it matter if a church does this? It is, imho, completely unrelated to tax exempt status. Crossing the line into taxing churches also gets into dangerous territory... whats the criteria to determine a loss of tax exempt status? How can we tax churches and claim the freedom of religion?

Very, very dangerous territory.
because according to 501c3 - they can't.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
That is exactly correct. I work for a 501c3 (tax-exempt, not-for-profit organization).....no candidate support announced and/or advertised here.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
They aren't supporting a candidate, they are supporting an ideology. Also, what does it matter effectively.

It happens, they work their way around the specific legal requirements that need to be met, and push their support. You have to deal with that.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:05 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Well said Mike.
It was Mike. Hey, I'm at Mass every Sunday, every Holy Day and I'm very involved in my Church.... but I don't want my Church in my government, and I don't want my government in my Church.

If that can not be respected.... Here is the 800# for the IRS......

Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Lie so many other non-taxed and taxed organization, thats impossible. There are candidates that support the official views of the church, and others who do not. Of course they will support the candidate who reinforces their views.

What does it matter if a church does this? It is, imho, completely unrelated to tax exempt status. Crossing the line into taxing churches also gets into dangerous territory... whats the criteria to determine a loss of tax exempt status? How can we tax churches and claim the freedom of religion?

Very, very dangerous territory.

You may have candidates who are more in line with certain ideals and beliefs of one Church or another, but if you are going to get into ENDORSING candidates and trying to create public policy - then you should not be tax exempt anymore IMO.

Look, I'm Catholic. I'm not a "I go when it's Christmas or my kid needs to be baptized" Catholic. It's really part of who I am. My Church would never assume to tell me (or anyone else) who to vote for. They may say that we should really be thoughtful in making our choice, but that's different.

Now, what candidate is more in line with the teachings of my Church? NEITHER.

While many think that the abortion issue is the litmus test, it's not. The actual stance of my Church would also be anti-death penalty, anti-war, and would have considerable attention given to helping the impoverished and those in need. One is not given more weight than the other.

NONE of the candidates could conform completely to my Churches ideals, and I don't look to them to do so. I know that they are playing in a different sandbox and the rules are different.

that's why Church/State should be separate.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:21 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
You may have candidates who are more in line with certain ideals and beliefs of one Church or another, but if you are going to get into ENDORSING candidates and trying to create public policy - then you should not be tax exempt anymore IMO.

Look, I'm Catholic. I'm not a "I go when it's Christmas or my kid needs to be baptized" Catholic. It's really part of who I am. My Church would never assume to tell me (or anyone else) who to vote for. They may say that we should really be thoughtful in making our choice, but that's different.

Now, what candidate is more in line with the teachings of my Church? NEITHER.

While many think that the abortion issue is the litmus test, it's not. The actual stance of my Church would also be anti-death penalty, anti-war, and would have considerable attention given to helping the impoverished and those in need. One is not given more weight than the other.

NONE of the candidates could conform completely to my Churches ideals, and I don't look to them to do so. I know that they are playing in a different sandbox and the rules are different.

that's why Church/State should be separate.
You'd walk out of the sermon weekly at San Albino Church in Mesilla NM, when a certain Father preaches each week. I am NOT like you, I only attend church when my mom comes here to visit, and I drive her to church. Every time I've been there, the same Father intersperses politics into his sermon. Invariably, his remarks are unflattering towards Democrats, especially those who are for abortion (which is to say, nearly all).

Old 10-08-2008, 09:24 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
if you are going to get into ENDORSING candidates and trying to create public policy - then you should not be tax exempt anymore IMO.
Again, I'm going to pose the question - why? The same stats from the same survey about the church not being involved in government DECIDEDLY doesn't want the government getting involved in churches. Taking a comment from a pastor regarding statements which could be construed as specific endorsements (but aren't necessarily, read the texts of the statements made), and making a judgment call based on these statements is....

Dangerous territory.

Where can the line be drawn? If a church recommends voting with the candidate who opposes abortion, does that mean they have endorsed McCain, or that they are anti-abortion (I don't like the term pro-life, personally).

If a church recommends voting with your heart and your bible, could that be construed as endorsement?

If a government entity wants to step in and make these judgment calls, doesn't that more blatantly violate the separation of church and state by empowering elected and unelected officials to make judgment calls as to who gets to call themselves a church?

Its a bad, bad thing for the gov to get involved, imho.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
You'd walk out of the sermon weekly at San Albino Church in Mesilla NM, when a certain Father preaches each week. I am NOT like you, I only attend church when my mom comes here to visit, and I drive her to church. Every time I've been there, the same Father intersperses politics into his sermon. Invariably, his remarks are unflattering towards Democrats, especially those who are for abortion (which is to say, nearly all).
Mike, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it were not for the Franciscans I am sure I'd not be Catholic anymore!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Again, I'm going to pose the question - why? The same stats from the same survey about the church not being involved in government DECIDEDLY doesn't want the government getting involved in churches. Taking a comment from a pastor regarding statements which could be construed as specific endorsements (but aren't necessarily, read the texts of the statements made), and making a judgment call based on these statements is....

Dangerous territory.

Where can the line be drawn? If a church recommends voting with the candidate who opposes abortion, does that mean they have endorsed McCain, or that they are anti-abortion (I don't like the term pro-life, personally).

If a church recommends voting with your heart and your bible, could that be construed as endorsement?

If a government entity wants to step in and make these judgment calls, doesn't that more blatantly violate the separation of church and state by empowering elected and unelected officials to make judgment calls as to who gets to call themselves a church?

Its a bad, bad thing for the gov to get involved, imho.
this particular church i'm referring to wants you to vote for McCain. Not an ideology, not with your heart and bible, but for the "right".

Old 10-08-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
this particular church i'm referring to wants you to vote for McCain. Not an ideology, not with your heart and bible, but for the "right".
There is a BIG difference from telling someone to vote with their heart, or even the Bible (which is VERY subjective), than telling someone vote for THIS candidate.

I don't know why it's dangerous - Church/State are SUPPOSED to be separate under our Constitution and they should be. If they decide to throw their hat into the political arena, then you are no longer following the rules and you pay the price for it. Simple principal.

I think it is far more dangerous to allow Churches to play in politics. I really don't like that. Trust me, one of the reasons I'm so not "Right Wing" is because of the way they love to thrust their religion and beliefs on others. Sickens me frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey