Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:00 PM

89 posts, read 689,526 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where the hell I can find a 1 br, no more than $1000 a month place to rent in the Middlesex, Union, or Somerset county area that does not require a credit check?

Or if they DO require one, does any one know where I can rent a place that doesn't discriminate against people with bad credit???

My boyfriend and I have to be out of our present apartment by Nov 1st (our house is being foreclosed on and we were informed of this a few weeks ago. It is NOT our house, it's our landlords who we were renting from month to month) We both have steady full time jobs and can afford our bills and rent just fine.

We both have lousy credit mostly from old credit card debts when we were young stupid 18 year olds.

We have the money to put down for a security but we can't find a place that will even consider us because of our credit! Even the few private renter's I've spoken with won't work with us.

I need a place to live. There is nowhere for us to go and we're running out of time. If anyone has any suggestions I would be extremely appreciative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 07:12 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,707 times
How bad is your credit?
Would you be able to get a letter of reference from your landlord?
Can you come up with more money for a security deposit in lieu of good credit?

I'm asking this because when my husband and I went to rent our current place, our credit was pretty much in the toilet - as in, my scores were in the mid 500's, and hubbys was in the mid-400's, because he was a victim of ID theft, though we didn't know it at the time.

You might be able to work out a deal with a private renter who might be willing to rent a place to you if you are able to come up with more security. That's what ended up happening with us. And you know what? We've never been late with the rent, and now that we're looking for a house, my landlord is more than happy to give us back 2 out of 3 months of security we put down to use towards our downpayment.

Now - as for your credit... I'm going to DM you with a site that can -really- help you. Remember those scores I told you about up there? Well, in 2 1/2 years, my mid-scores are in the 680's, and hubby's is in the 660's. Not perfect, but certainly not as much of a credit risk we once were. And it's not a credit counselling service - it's a forum that teaches folks how to repair their credit on their own. You'd be surprised as to what you can have taken off your credit report...

Old 10-10-2008, 07:36 PM

667 posts, read 1,847,841 times
You might try Hightstown, NJ. It's also called East Windsor. It is on the edge of Mercer County. I think the landlords must be very understanding here because we have a large immigrant population and I think probably some immigrants might not have documentation, so could they have a credit rating? (Maybe they could; I don't really know how it works. I am guesing a lot of people work under the radar.) But perhaps the landlords are more understanding than typical, just an idea. Maybe someone here knows more?

I would try looking in the condominium complexes, because there are investors who own a lot of condos in the complexes and rent them out. Again, mostly to immigrants. I might be completely wrong about this; someone correct me if I am. But it is a nice safe area, and the immigrants are very nice and law abiding. You might go on Craig's list and see what's available and try calling. Just be honest, I guess.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:38 PM

667 posts, read 1,847,841 times
Also--rents are very low!

Old 10-10-2008, 07:47 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
You may also want to try Elizabeth. Lots of 2 family homes. Ride around some of the better areas and you'll see signs posted. Elmora, Elmora Hills & Bayway areas are the ones I know of. Worth a try.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:05 PM

208 posts, read 852,783 times
I know of one apt unit in East Brunswick (Middlesex County) that does not require credit check. They have a one bedroom available for 800.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:33 PM

89 posts, read 689,526 times
monacl:
Thank you for the advice. I'm not sure how bad it is, I just know that I have a few small debts in collections right now and it's not pretty.

Right now we have enough for our price range to offer a security deposit on the spot. Perhaps I should have mentioned that to the renter i met with today. We may be able to scrounge up some more to add on, but I still want to be able to make the 1st months rent by Nov 1st. Time constraints have really screwed me.

I will Def. check out that link to see what I can do for my credit in the meantime.

Jllian Mason:
Where is this apt complex in east brunswick? I'm from around there, so i know the area pretty well. Do they allow small pets? eek! That's something I forgot to mention, I have a small dog (under 15lbs)

Yet another issue with most apartment complexes....no pets!

Hrjersey: I have been looking in Elizabeth. I don't live near there right now so it's hard to get up there. I think it's worth a try. the last place I saw on Craigslist and emailed about turned out to be a scam! Plus i hear some pretty nasty things about Apt. Buildings in Elizabeth (poorly maintained, huge rent increases, bugs, etc.) Perhaps a drive through might be the best approach for Elizabeth.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:38 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,707 times
How old are the debts?
Are you being contacted by collectors?
Have you been late on anything in the last few years?

Newer charge offs and collections are going to have more of an impact on your credit score than something that is much older. Pull your ficos. Your scores might not be as bad as you think.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:27 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,288,927 times
I don't know if this is a case of where you should rent as opposed to who you should rent from. More to the point, like you said, you have to start looking at some 2 families, multi-families, etc. You should also look the bad credit right in the mouth. Bring it up, face it, explain it. Offer to show paycheck stubs, or a tax return, etc. Get a letter of recommendation from your current landlord.

Not that there is any resemblence of a pattern, however, whenever I've bought multi-units or similar types, I have found some nice older couples who don't seem to be as thorough on the application process. If you have a job, prove it, paycheck stubs, tax returns, etc. -- you might find someone who will work with you. Offer to pay some extra security if you can.

I would concentrate on the situation that can fit your needs. Find a neighborhood you like, and then start looking for the situation. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
Great advice from eanj! Be upfront. A lot more people than you might think are dealing with the same issues. Just make sure you get references from your past landlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey