Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:16 PM

6 posts, read 33,013 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Freehold, NJ from Brooklyn and really are unfamiliar with the area. Can anyone advise us as to what it really is like living in Freehold?
Would you call it a community feeling? is it a nice place to live, and raise our kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 09:21 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,571,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brklyn2nj View Post
We are planning to move to Freehold, NJ from Brooklyn and really are unfamiliar with the area. Can anyone advise us as to what it really is like living in Freehold?
Would you call it a community feeling? is it a nice place to live, and raise our kids?
Freehold Township or Freehold Boro?

Old 02-14-2007, 02:59 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,015,028 times
I like Freehold. I never lived in Freehold, but I worked, shopped, and dined there for a few years. The township (vs. the boro) is really nice, lovely homes and very clean. The mall is a little small (as per NJ standards) but it's good. The boro has some nice restaurants, and has a nice walkable feel. Some people are uncomfortable w/ the number of foreigners living in the boro, but being that you are from a metro area, you may not even notice. I can't think of any reasons why it wouldn't be a nice place to have a family. The only downside to Freehold is the fact that Rt. 9 runs through it, and Rt. 9 has terrible traffic.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Freehold Township or Freehold Boro?
We are not sure, I think the Boro...What is the difference?
Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Would you know: Which is a "better" place for a young family: Freehold, Manalapan or Monmouth Heights? We are looking for a safe place for our kids, good schools, good sport programs and nice community feeling.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I like Freehold. I never lived in Freehold, but I worked, shopped, and dined there for a few years. The township (vs. the boro) is really nice, lovely homes and very clean. The mall is a little small (as per NJ standards) but it's good. The boro has some nice restaurants, and has a nice walkable feel. Some people are uncomfortable w/ the number of foreigners living in the boro, but being that you are from a metro area, you may not even notice. I can't think of any reasons why it wouldn't be a nice place to have a family. The only downside to Freehold is the fact that Rt. 9 runs through it, and Rt. 9 has terrible traffic.
You are the second person who has mentioned a large influx of foreigners in Freehold. What exactly does that mean for the overall feel of the town?

Would you happen to know which is a "better" place to raise our young children? We want good schools, good sports and community facilities. We just want to move somewhere with nice families with young kids like us. Somewhere where we can be involved in community and church activities and make some nice friends.
Would you suggest Manalapn or monmouth heights?

Thank you so much for your help.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:38 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,571,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brklyn2nj View Post
We are not sure, I think the Boro...What is the difference?
Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Would you know: Which is a "better" place for a young family: Freehold, Manalapan or Monmouth Heights? We are looking for a safe place for our kids, good schools, good sport programs and nice community feeling.
The difference between the Boro and the Township are wide. Freehold Boro is the Monmouth County seat. It is aprox 2 square miles and is surrounded by Freehold Township which is aprox 40 miles square. The poulation in the Boro is about 12,000 people the Township is about 35,000. The Boro has a mixed ethnic makeup. Many of the immigrant/migrant workers in the area live in the Boro so that translates to a large number of hispanics living there. The Township has a predominately white population. The Boro has many individual older homes on smaller lots with some being over 100 years old. The Township has mostly development style homes with many being built in the 80s' and many newer developments with what people around here describe as McMansions, that have prices of 750K to over 1 million dollars. Most homes in the Township are on at least 1/2 acre lots or more. Manlapan homes are very similar to those in Freehold Township. The grammer schools are individual to each town. The high school system is regional and is comprised of (Freehold Township, Freehold Boro, Manalapan, Marlboro, Colts Neck and Howell Township). All of the high schools have specialized learning centers, they are: Business Administration at Marlboro; Humanities at Howell; Contemporary Global Issues at Freehold Township; Medical Sciences, Computer Sciences and Culinary at Freehold; Science and Engineering at Manalapan, Law, Public Service and R.O.T.C. at Colts Neck. If your child is interested in one of these programs and is accepted then that is the high school they would go to. If they don't specialize then they go to the high school they are districted to. Freehold Township and Manalapan are very similar (home prices and property taxes are a bit higher in Manalapan). Monmouth Heights is a development in Manalapan. Freehold Township owns 31% percent of the land in the town and it is designated as open space and there is a great park system in the Township. The area has a great sports program in the schools (all the towns in the district) and many right now are preparing for state playoffs. There are also numerous travel teams (all sports) in the area and are very competitive. Many have been national champs in various sports and age groups. I'm sure your kids would have no problem in finding a program they would fit into. Since I don't think you are blindly moving into the area my advice is to drive around and form opinions for yourself. If your from Brooklyn you must know someone that has moved into the area. "Western Monmouth County is a big destination for the Brooklyn / Staten Island crowd." Anyway I can go on and on giving you numbers and stats that would make your head spin. If you need any specific questions answered p.m. me and I'll see if I can help. Good luck in your search and I'm sure you won't be disapointed.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:31 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,277,958 times
everyone from bklyn and SI has moved to western monmouth as well as us but we moved out of manalapan for our own reasons..You cant go wrong with any of these towns and freehold Twp is nice...very overcroweded the whole area with the influx...prices are still high for what your going to find, a BI-LEVEL in manalapan is about 480k monmouth heights is in FREEHOLD, MANALAPAN, AND MARLBORO....same builder just different locations...Pls feel free to PM me if you need assistance

Old 02-19-2007, 01:27 AM

7 posts, read 87,285 times
But seriously if you had a choice between Freehold & Manalapan - are the schools really that much better in Manalapan?...and is the commute to midtown NYC a killer? realistically, what can I expect? and what's the best way to go?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:48 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,739,983 times
I lived in Freehold and Colts Neck. The commute is a nightmare any way you slice it. I don't care if you drive, take the bus, or drive to a train station. Rts. 9 and 18 are horrible. Sorry, it's the truth.

Before I had kids, I commuted to Newark from Freehold Twp. That was 6 1/2 years ago and my drive was 1 1/2 hrs. each way. Remember, that was Newark, not NY and traffic is much worse now than it was 6 or 7 years ago.

My children and I didn't see my husband in the morning, and never got to eat together as a family. It's a nice place to live, but please weigh what's important to you!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:23 AM

17 posts, read 73,298 times
I'd go Manalapan - for schools and better bang for the buck as well as commute. Look for www.njtransit.com and also the www.seastreak.com for more transportation options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey