U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:55 AM

89 posts, read 468,809 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of places in NJ or even NYC to sell used clothes. I am not talking consignment (where they pay you when the item is sold). I know Beacon's Closet and Buffalo Exchange in NYC do this, but I keep on hearing about the snotty staff that never wants to buy any of your clothes because they are too cool for life hipsters. I am not necessarily looking to make cash, I'd accept store credit, since I don't mind buying thrift. I recently lost a lot of weight, and I'm moving so might as well get rid of the clutter, and I don't know what to do with so many of my larger sized clothes. Any suggestions? I know many thrift stores in NJ but none that buy clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 11:03 AM

5,343 posts, read 9,149,268 times
Why don't you do it yourself on E-bay, you'd probably make more $ than going through consignment.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:56 PM

I was thinking that but most of my items won't raise a great amount of money when you break down the cost of listing and such. I need new clothes anyway, so I figured taking them to a sell/buy thrift store would be good since I could get rid of some things while getting some new items as well. Like i said, I lost a lot of weight rendering most of my clothes useless! I don't have any high price designer items,or anything like that. Just a lot of barely worn clothes that simply don't fit anymore. I've had bad luck selling on Ebay in the past (for clothing anyway). I tried selling a pair of Brand new, never worn Tiffany's earings on Ebay (they retailed at $300) and ended up getting a max bid of a whopping $75! good thing I had a reserve. I ended up selling them to a used designer accessories dealer on the internet and got more than half of what they are worth.

I may end up just taking them to Brooklyn to those stores I've read about, since I am turning up no buy/sell thrift shops in NJ whatsoever on my internet searches.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:26 PM

5,343 posts, read 9,149,268 times
Good point...what size? Maybe someone on the board could be interested!

I know a friend used to use a consignment shop in the Red Bank area, but I have NO idea where it was and I'm not intouch w/ her anymore.

All the shops I know are for kids.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:05 PM

Mostly size 12 womens, size 13/14 juniors. I'm a 26 year old woman who still insists on shopping in the Junior's section from time to time to save some cash. Plus I can't seem to accept myself as a real adult just yet! I don't think I ever will as long as i live!

Old 10-13-2008, 02:37 PM

112 posts, read 212,163 times
So sell them in a bundle on Ebay. The ones you can't sell, freecycle.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM

1,578 posts, read 3,707,194 times
What happened to giving it to goodwill for the people less fortunate!

Old 10-13-2008, 02:48 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,227,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
What happened to giving it to goodwill for the people less fortunate!
I love Goodwill and donate their regularly, but....
maybe the OP could really use the money, just like the less fortunate you speak of? Just a thought.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:54 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,227,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhiskey View Post
Anyone know of places in NJ or even NYC to sell used clothes. I am not talking consignment (where they pay you when the item is sold). I know Beacon's Closet and Buffalo Exchange in NYC do this, but I keep on hearing about the snotty staff that never wants to buy any of your clothes because they are too cool for life hipsters. I am not necessarily looking to make cash, I'd accept store credit, since I don't mind buying thrift. I recently lost a lot of weight, and I'm moving so might as well get rid of the clutter, and I don't know what to do with so many of my larger sized clothes. Any suggestions? I know many thrift stores in NJ but none that buy clothing.
JWhiskey,
I don't know where you live but there is a Platos Closet in Maple Shade, NJ and one in Deptford, NJ.
They give you cash on the spot for clothes up to large Jr. sizes, which you mentioned you shop for. Other than that, I don't think any places in NJ give you cash for used adult clothing.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:15 PM

I've definitely given my fair share of free clothes to the less fortunate over the years. I have never ever tried to sell my used clothes before, but NOW I am in a financial situation that does not allow me to spend a lot of money on clothes, and as I mentioned before, I lost a lot of weight and currently only have 1 pair of jeans, and maybe 2 pairs of slacks for work that fit me! I'm swimming in my old dresses and winter coats. My shoe size has even gone down! That being said, I figured I could satisfy both my urge to de-clutter and to get some clothes that fit both cheaply and efficiantly if I were to go the buy/sell thrift store route.

I just found out about that Plato's Closet place. I live in Hillsborough right now, and wil probably be moving to Union county by nov, so I'm nowhere near either of the stores, but honestly it may be worth the trip.

I'm considering the NYC stores as well, although I keep on hearing that it depends on the mood of the buyer looking through your old clothes if you're going to be fairly compensated for them. yikes!

Oh and thanks for reminding me of free Cycle. I'm defnintely going to try them too! I'm sure there's someone I could make a trade with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey