Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:21 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times

Advertisements

Ive posted a similar thread in the NYC forum, but decided to put one in here too to get answers from different states.

I work in a grocery store down here, and today I had a woman from somewhere up ya'lls way ( NY, NJ, or PA...couldnt get a good handle on her accent).

She was shocked that our store had baggers, and that our baggers tried to take her groceries out for her once the transaction was finished.

Do grocery stores in New Jersey typically not have baggers or offer carryout service?

Her surprise really piqued my curiousity. So...why was she so surprised?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:34 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times
Well, let me explain the latest trend in grocery stores in NJ. SELF CHECKOUT. You scan, you bag... you pay. I refuse to use them on principal. People need jobs and I'm not going to pay and then essentially DO the work for the store. Momma didn't raise no fool and I think jobs are sacred.

That said... SOME of the stores I go to have baggers. It depends on how busy the store is at the moment.

Carrying to car... not happening unless you ask. But many WILL do this for you if you ask. I did when I had a high risk pregnancy and couldn't lift. Just an FYI at that time the 2 stores that were the KINDEST to me were the Shop Rite in Hasbrouck Heights (now moved to Lodi) and the Shop-Rite in Nutley. They were VERY helpful. I'm not too close to either anymore, but I go there if in the area because I DO remember.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Well...just goes to show everywhere is different. We are required to at least attempt to take EVERY customer out. We get chewed out if we don't.

And...my store doesnt have any self-checkouts! lol Some other one's like Bi-Lo do though.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:37 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
I have always enjoyed the experience at "Publix" when we go to FL a few times a year. A nice change. Here, I just want to get in an out ASAP.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,312 times
When I shopped in the food store in NJ they would have baggers on the weekend. They never take it to your car.

I am in Myrtle Beach, and we do have baggers, but they don't take it to your car.

I miss Shop Rite so much! I really don't like any of the food stores here.

When we lst. moved here, my son 7 at the time, went to the food store. The bagger was baggin our stuff and talking to my son. When we left the store my son ask me why was that guy talking to me! I told him that is how people are here, they talk to you -

Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 AM

370 posts, read 1,370,152 times
The stores by me tend to get really busy for short period of times so what they do in down times is close some lanes and make those check out people bag for the open lanes. I have never seen anyone carry the bags out though.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:50 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,888 times
I live in Southern NJ and I've never had help taking my groceries to the car. As for baggers, some stores have them on busy days - like weekends, but it's not an everyday thing at most grocery stores.

That's okay with me, though. I prefer to bag my own (baggers never bag my groceries the way I like).

Old 10-16-2008, 08:05 AM

89 posts, read 689,772 times
I usually go to the Stop and Shop chain, and they do have baggers on busier days. I generally bring my own bags to get the 5 cents per bag discount, and they offer to help. BUt honestly most of the time I like to do it myself since the last time a bagger packed my groceries, the handles on one of my bags broke because he made it too heavy! That's just me though....

I have NEVER had anyone carry my groceries out for me, but I see it as pointless since I've got the cart. Thats what it's for right? I'm sure they wouldn't be opposed to carrying them if asked, and that it's part of the policy, but it probably never happens.

EEEPNJ: I also boycot the self checkout! MY step mother and father both put food on the table from working at grocery stores. Everyone has to start somewhere,so those register jobs are Oh so important.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:20 AM

517 posts, read 1,964,246 times
Kind of strange, isn't it.... self checkout is promoted in NJ in grocery stores, yet we're not allowed to pump our own gas! Most stores around me in central NJ do not have baggers... some of them do, at times,but it's not consistent. At Wegmans, however, the cashiers do the bagging as they go. The counters have an opening next to the scanner with a place for the empty bags to hang which get filled immediately by the cashier after the scanning. Then they either place the bag in your cart, hand it to you, or place it on the other counter behind them for you to take. Because there is a gap in the counter they cannot slide the groceries down to the end. I like this since nothing gets squashed (even though I always put the heaviest stuff on the belt first).

Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhiskey View Post
I usually go to the Stop and Shop chain, and they do have baggers on busier days. I generally bring my own bags to get the 5 cents per bag discount, and they offer to help. BUt honestly most of the time I like to do it myself since the last time a bagger packed my groceries, the handles on one of my bags broke because he made it too heavy! That's just me though....

I have NEVER had anyone carry my groceries out for me, but I see it as pointless since I've got the cart. Thats what it's for right? I'm sure they wouldn't be opposed to carrying them if asked, and that it's part of the policy, but it probably never happens.

EEEPNJ: I also boycot the self checkout! MY step mother and father both put food on the table from working at grocery stores. Everyone has to start somewhere,so those register jobs are Oh so important.
Couldn't agree more! I'd rep you if I could.

I have NO desire to pump my own gas either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey