Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 09:19 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Oh please guys... let's hear from someone on the board who is NOT white tell us about some of the obvious racism they have experienced in their lives. I think we'd have to be living in a bubble to think that they have not experienced that.

I don't approve of racism from anyone group toward any other... so it's not a question of who is right and wrong to me. It's wrong. Period.
all i keep thinking when i read this thread is..."awww, the poor maligned white people, what a shame they can't speak their racist talk out loud. They have it SOOOO tough".

folks, newsflash - it's ALL WRONG and it's NOT OK for someone, BLACK OR WHITE, to spew racist rhetoric. and, as far as whites not "allowed" to speak...ever hear of the KKK?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:22 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
The point is someone who is white and is openly racist is taken to task for it yet on the other side of the coin many people of color are just as blatanly racist and no one says a word..it's ok, it's come to the point where I should be ashamed because I'm white, continuely apologising for stuff that happened 200 yaers before I was born.. I'm sick of it, sick of politically correct, sick to death of the word diversity
If everyone could JUST GET OVER IT!! Live your life, be a good neighbor, take care of YOUR children we would be fine...If only we could live the words of John Lennon's song Imagine we would have a much better world...alas I took those rose colored glasses off years ago
I agree 100%. Great post Kate.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:22 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Oh please guys... let's hear from someone on the board who is NOT white tell us about some of the obvious racism they have experienced in their lives. I think we'd have to be living in a bubble to think that they have not experienced that.
So racism against white people isn't as bad as when its against another arbitrary grouping of people? Its not a big deal because 150 years ago some wealthy people owned slaves, and they were of the same color of skin? Isn't that the same thing? Blaming an entire race of people for 150 year old hate?

What about blaming the African people who captured their warring tribesmen, and sold them to the Europeans? Should I blame all of the English living today for the terrible atrocities committed in Ireland? Should all of the English immediately feel bad, and take a brow-beating and nasty commentary because of it?

The whole thing is silly. Like kate, if it doesn't have to do with my portfolio, I cringe when I hear "diversity". And f being PC. Never was, never will be. And yet, my muslim cube-neighbor, puerto-rican coworker, black coworker, japanese coworker, philipino coworker, chinese boss, etc, etc, etc.

Its only an issue if you make it an issue.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:24 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
all i keep thinking when i read this thread is..."awww, the poor maligned white people, what a shame they can't speak their racist talk out loud. They have it SOOOO tough".

folks, newsflash - it's ALL WRONG and it's NOT OK for someone, BLACK OR WHITE, to spew racist rhetoric. and, as far as whites not "allowed" to speak...ever hear of the KKK?
Again the KKK was long before I became an adult..yeah they are still around but not pulling the crap they did years ago which was wrong wrong wrong

Ever hear of The Black Panthers..Black Power, how many white cops they could kill?? Angela Davis, Joanann Chesimard???

Old 10-17-2008, 09:28 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:

Tahiti, the KK is not a group that I encounter on a day to day basis (in fact, I have never encountered the KKK). Since 99% of us are from NJ, I'd be willing to bet that not many here have encountered the KKK.

The fact is, we all hear loud, blatant racist comments from non-whites all the time. Regular people on the street, not maligned organizations of the past. Heck, it's in lyrics to music as well.

Racist comments are unacceptable from ANYBODY of any color. But when people of color spew racist comments, and we all turn the other cheek, it breeds a general environment that divides us all emotionally, in some way, deep within.

Honestly, I think as a whole, white people have done their part to overcome racism.

Coincidentally, I have 2 close friends who are black and 2 close friends who are Hispanic who I know for a fact would agree with me.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:30 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,612 times
I am so tempted to rile things up even more on this thread but I must resist my urges. I'll admit that there are times when in frustration I may say things that are not appropiate nor right about ethnicity, skin color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender or whatever my infuriated brain can think, it's not an excuse but simple human behavior. Now, my personal interaction w/ any of the previously mentioned groups is in the total opposite as to my temporaly insanity tirades. Is it two faced/hypocrite? Well IMO, No. Why? Well, because one thing is to think it, the other is to act on it.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Again the KKK was long before I became an adult..yeah they are still around but not pulling the crap they did years ago which was wrong wrong wrong

Ever hear of The Black Panthers..Black Power, how many white cops they could kill?? Angela Davis, Joanann Chesimard???
And these groups were around before *I* was born. ANYONE who incites hate for hate's sake IS WRONG - how many times does it have to be said? i'm with whoever said "it's an issue if you make it an issue" - and it seems WHITE PEOPLE, at least in this thread, are making it an issue. "Why can't I speak hatefully if THEY can speak hatefully? WAAAAAA!"

and I've NEVER apologized for something that happened 150 yrs ago. c'mon.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:33 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
And these groups were around before *I* was born. ANYONE who incites hate for hate's sake IS WRONG - how many times does it have to be said? i'm with whoever said "it's an issue if you make it an issue" - and it seems WHITE PEOPLE, at least in this thread, are making it an issue. "Why can't I speak hatefully if THEY can speak hatefully? WAAAAAA!"

and I've NEVER apologized for something that happened 150 yrs ago. c'mon.
No, we're not "wishing that we can speak hatefully"....we are WISHING THAT PEOPLE OF COLOR would STOP speaking hatefully. Huuuuge difference.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
No, we're not "wishing that we can speak hatefully"....we are WISHING THAT PEOPLE OF COLOR would STOP speaking hatefully. Huuuuge difference.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Somebody gets it

Old 10-17-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Tahiti, the KK is not a group that I encounter on a day to day basis (in fact, I have never encountered the KKK). Since 99% of us are from NJ, I'd be willing to bet that not many here have encountered the KKK.

The fact is, we all hear loud, blatant racist comments from non-whites all the time. Regular people on the street, not maligned organizations of the past. Heck, it's in lyrics to music as well.

Racist comments are unacceptable from ANYBODY of any color. But when people of color spew racist comments, and we all turn the other cheek, it breeds a general environment that divides us all emotionally, in some way, deep within.

Honestly, I think as a whole, white people have done their part to overcome racism.

Coincidentally, I have 2 close friends who are black and 2 close friends who are Hispanic who I know for a fact would agree with me.
So, since we don't encounter the KKK on a daily basis they don't "count"? I will agree that racism is unacceptable, period. But your posts are coming off whiny, I'm sorry, that's how I see it.

Bottom line, the only thing you can control is yourself and you (generic you) need set a good example for others. For every racist black I can find a racist white person. You seem to want to plant the seed that more blacks are overtly racist than whites, and I simply don't believe it. Ugliness comes in all sizes, shapes and colors.

If you don't agree with me, what's the solution to fix it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey