Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 04:44 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times

Advertisements

I know it's easy to blame the cops. Why chase after a hunk of metal?

It's not the property they're chasing after and it takes a lot to pursue in a vehicle chase. A cop can't do it on his own. I understand why they pursued, especially being rush hour.

They weren't wanting to get the car back, it has nothing to do with that. It is the fact that a criminal now has a 2,000 lb weapon. The call for a chase has to come from higher up than the patrolman.

This doesn't excuse what happened and sometimes the call made is poor judgement, however, they do study these situations and weigh the circumstances very heavily before making the call.

My heart goes out to these parents, especially this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 07:26 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
What a complete waste. I know what your all going to say, that I am a cop basher but why the hell were they chasing this guy in a squeezy , busy, area for a lousy car!!! I mean could they just sit back and wait. The cops were all so gung ho to get this car and what happened as usually SOMEONE crashed and got innocently killed a ten year old girl!!! My gripe is the cops could have just sat back and took an unmarked car quietly followed and noone would have gotton killed. That poor mother must be heartbroken seeing her daughter killed!!! How terrible and for what a USED CAR!!!!! The police should hold restraint when they are in situations like this. This is such a busy crowded area, they know better. Yes I do blame the cops for this girls death. I know I am going to get crap on this but if they did not chase this jerk this kid would be alive!!

These cops are so borded that they are gung ho to get something like this. I mean this area is so crowded, what were they thinking. They have nothing better to do and there are so many of them they are like pent up steroid heads waiting to pounce! Couldn't the cops see how dangerous this situation really is. New Milford and Bergenfield are overcrowded and loaded with cars and people. What poor judgement of the officers!!! And for a car!!! Pathetic, if I was that poor mom, I would sue the cops for murder!!

Now I know I am going to get crap for all the cops and cop lovers but this is my opinion and I think they could have used much better judgement . This is not Idaho with tons of open road and no cars or people!!!! How disguisting. They need to all be drug tested regular for steroids!!! Jerks! And to top its off this was RUSH HOUR!!!! Really poor poor judgement. Shame on you cops for killing an innocent child for a car.
With all the tracking technology we have today the need for a "high speed chase" is just not defendable. Other countries don't allow it like our neighbor to the north !!!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:31 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
the simple reason thay have to chase this a$$hole is because its their job. It they allow anyone to steal cars(committing a crime) and won't do anything about it they are not doing their job. Whats next? House burglary and robbery? Why risk it?? Just let em go..

That's a fantastic outlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I know it's easy to blame the cops. Why chase after a hunk of metal?

It's not the property they're chasing after and it takes a lot to pursue in a vehicle chase. A cop can't do it on his own. I understand why they pursued, especially being rush hour.

They weren't wanting to get the car back, it has nothing to do with that. It is the fact that a criminal now has a 2,000 lb weapon. The call for a chase has to come from higher up than the patrolman.

This doesn't excuse what happened and sometimes the call made is poor judgement, however, they do study these situations and weigh the circumstances very heavily before making the call.

My heart goes out to these parents, especially this time of year.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:44 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
the simple reason thay have to chase this a$$hole is because its their job. It they allow anyone to steal cars(committing a crime) and won't do anything about it they are not doing their job. Whats next? House burglary and robbery? Why risk it?? Just let em go..

That's a fantastic outlook
You are also right. It is their job. They have to weight out the crime and the risk to the public before pursuit.

I can understand people's outrage on this one though, especially if they don't understand the why's behind it. It can seem really senseless. This is where it is a benefit to police to explain their positions in these circumstances.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
grand auto theft. what if it was your car?
where is the line. is there a line. what is appopriate police behavior. is there such a thing as crime.
is there such a thing as appopriate police intervention. i dont see it being posted on CDF.
all actions by law enforcement are inappropriate????. that would be something a felon would post on CDF.
why chase a bank robber its just a bag with lots of paper in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey