Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:18 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Any time I've seen anyone from HR see a multi-page resume, I've seen them file it in the electronic equivalent of the circular file.

They look through so many resumes that they want the information clear, concise, and to the point. Additional information, work history, experiences, etc, will all come out in the interview process.
But doesnt HR receive all resumes in electronic format anyway - if not all almost 99% of it. I agree information has to be clear, concise and to the point - but that can be done on a 1+ page resume. I work in IT and it is impossible to put things on 1 page because every project is different from other. I have often got interviews because of things I had done on a project 4 years ago. If I had made a 1-pg concise resume probably that wouldnt have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 01:21 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,057,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
I disagree!!

there won't be an interview if his resume does not stand out from others. it has to have the key details highlighted on the very first page and then the remaining material on the rest of pages.
For only 5 years of experience???? I'm sorry, but if it crossed my desk, I would think this person was full of themself and wouldn't even read it.

The cover letter should present some key highlights and the resume should state the basics along with any outstanding accomplishments. Make your resume match as closely with the job posting as possible, without lying and make sure to list outstanding accomplishments that will make you stand out.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
But doesnt HR receive all resumes in electronic format anyway - if not all almost 99% of it. I agree information has to be clear, concise and to the point - but that can be done on a 1+ page resume. I work in IT and it is impossible to put things on 1 page because every project is different from other. I have often got interviews because of things I had done on a project 4 years ago. If I had made a 1-pg concise resume probably that wouldnt have happened.
The OP was asking about a resume for 5 years of experience. As your experience grows, it is perfectly understandable that your resume would too.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:24 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
For only 5 years of experience???? I'm sorry, but if it crossed my desk, I would think this person was full of themself and wouldn't even read it.

The cover letter should present some key highlights and the resume should state the basics along with any outstanding accomplishments. Make your resume match as closely with the job posting as possible, without lying and make sure to list outstanding accomplishments that will make you stand out.
Definitely not full of myself, but I have had three very different job responsibilities that were all different. I just want to make sure the reader knows what I did from start to finish, not just my daily duties.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post

number of years of experience has nothing to do with the length of resume. one could work in the same job profile for 5 years and have limited content to write on the resume; where as in the same time someone could have changed 3 jobs and worked on three very different projects with lots to great material to write on the resume.

also, tailoring the resume is a must - so is tailoring the cover letter! i can't imagine someone using the same copy to apply for different positions.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:32 PM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,177 times
sometimes I wonder if people post stuff here just for the helluva or to simply disagree....sortakinda like devil's advocate. There's no need to make this thread into another endless debate.

Plain and simple answer: Tailor your resume to the job, highlight key words, if that takes 1 page, 2 pages, 3 pages it doesn't matter. What matters is the opportunity to be seen and noticed to get your foot on the door.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
also, tailoring the resume is a must - so is tailoring the cover letter! i can't imagine someone using the same copy to apply for different positions.
let me add, tailoring the cover letter is far more important that tailoring the resume. i know a bunch of recruiters who wouldnt even open the resume attachment unless they liked the cover letter.

cover letter is the first thing they read about you. if that isnt impressive, it is not going any further.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Definitely not full of myself, but I have had three very different job responsibilities that were all different. I just want to make sure the reader knows what I did from start to finish, not just my daily duties.
I'm sure you're not, but that's how it comes across. Focus on the important aspects of each role rather than every little detail.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:40 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
Ok guys, I am revising it now (needed a break). Would any of you like to see it once I am done? Cu has already looked it over and I am wanting more eyes to look at it.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:17 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
I'm apparently good at getting interviews but suck at getting hired. (been at the same job 13 years, have been looking for another for the last 8) But I would LOVE to see someone elses resume if for nothing more than to help my own. lol. I know, selfish. Hell I'll send you one of mine too, why not.
RobRiguez 'at' hotmail 'dot' com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey