Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:59 PM

12 posts, read 35,611 times

Advertisements

More info on my situation - the house does not have granite. It has corian countertops. The radon test was performed in the finished basement - which is just like another level in the house. In fact, you would never know it was a basement. No signs of pipes - just finished walls, ceilings and carpeting. Actually, that was one of the major reasons we liked this house so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 01:52 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,962,243 times
Default Radon testing question

Let me ask a radon Q here. We are having a new house built and it is indeed equipped with a passive radon gas removial system.. How can I test(cheaply) at what level our house is after it gets built? Are the radon detectors I can buy at Home Depot worth anything or will we need a professional come test it?

First....if your new construction is being built with a passive system that means your house is located in a New Jersey DEP Tier 1 zone and it is required by code. To be zoned Tier 1 that means at least 25% of all tests in that zip code area are high.....thats at least one house in four and thats a minimum.....many are higher. You can do a test yourself, however, I'm not sure how the builder would view the validity of a test performed by a buyer instead of a licensed professional. I'm not looking to do a test as the main thrust of my business is mitigation but if you wish to do your own test cheaply you can find them at Lowes and Home Depot. I would suggest deploying two test kits, side by side, in the lowest level of your house as close to the center of the room as possible. All windows and doors should be closed 12 hours prior to the start of the test and kept closed during the test except for normal exit and entry. NO SUB-CONTRACTORS should be allowed in the house during testing as they NEVER keep the doors and windows closed. I have not yet met a builder who can guarantee those conditions will be met. If the builder can't supply those conditions then you need a provision in your contract to allow for a 30 day extention for testing after you move in. Additionally, its been my experience that most builder installed passive systems are usually not installed properly in one way or another.....its a 16 step process and sometimes steps are overlooked, omitted or just not performed properly.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:49 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,811,035 times
We are in tier 2. Burlington county.. The contractor installs the passive system in every new home they build. Thanks for the tips on how to test.. I will def test when its built to see where we stand.

Lets talk about how the passive system is incorrectly installed that you have seen. I am gonna be the project managers new best friend when construction starts so what should I be looking for when it comes to correctly installed piping for the passive system? Don't worry, Im a construction engineer so just give me what to look for and Ill be sure its done right. Thanks!! Frank

Old 11-05-2008, 07:52 AM

Can you guys tell me what "tier" North Haledon is in and what kind of reading should I expect? I am not familiar with this radon thing at all because here in Texas it is not tested or discussed at all in the selling process.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbunny84 View Post
Can you guys tell me what "tier" North Haledon is in and what kind of reading should I expect? I am not familiar with this radon thing at all because here in Texas it is not tested or discussed at all in the selling process.

here ya go bunny.. you are in middlesex county so you are tier 2. Not bad

New Jersey | EPA Map of Radon Zones | Radon | Indoor Air Quality | Air | US EPA

and here is Texas. Overall a low state but there are some zone 2 areas. Thats why in texas its a non issue.

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/radiatio...s/TXCOUNTI.pdf

Old 11-05-2008, 04:29 PM

Default Passive Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
We are in tier 2. Burlington county.. The contractor installs the passive system in every new home they build. Thanks for the tips on how to test.. I will def test when its built to see where we stand.

Lets talk about how the passive system is incorrectly installed that you have seen. I am gonna be the project managers new best friend when construction starts so what should I be looking for when it comes to correctly installed piping for the passive system? Don't worry, Im a construction engineer so just give me what to look for and Ill be sure its done right. Thanks!! Frank
I am in the Hainesport/Mount Holly area of Burlington County. If your in Tier 2 as most areas are in Burlington County then the builder is not required to install a passive system according to the 16 step New Jersey Radon Hazard Sub-code. Builders usually just have their "plumber" install 3" pvc pipe that they lable as "future venting". I haven't met a plumber yet that actually understands the actual purpose of the pipe hes installing so frequetly its impropely installed in the wrong location making alterations necessary, if it can even be altered to be functional. Over my 20+ years I have seen just too many ways a builder installs a passive system incorrectly to list.....it seems they are always finding new ways to ********** up. The 16 steps are too lengthy and detailed to list here so you might wish to go to the New Jersey DEP radon program web site to find the specifications......or....you can call them directly at 800-648-0394.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:41 PM

Default Outdated Information......

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
here ya go bunny.. you are in middlesex county so you are tier 2. Not bad

New Jersey | EPA Map of Radon Zones | Radon | Indoor Air Quality | Air | US EPA

and here is Texas. Overall a low state but there are some zone 2 areas. Thats why in texas its a non issue.

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/radiatio...s/TXCOUNTI.pdf

The map of radon zones you provided above are from an outdated EPA map which shows no Tier One areas in South Jersey at all. You need to go to the New Jersey DEP radon program web site for all current radon zone information by County......whereas the outdated EPA map shows no Tier One zones in South Jersey the most recent DEP map shows at least 16 zip code areas in South Jersey counties in Tier One.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:46 PM

thanks man!!!!! Appriciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I am in the Hainesport/Mount Holly area of Burlington County. If your in Tier 2 as most areas are in Burlington County then the builder is not required to install a passive system according to the 16 step New Jersey Radon Hazard Sub-code. Builders usually just have their "plumber" install 3" pvc pipe that they lable as "future venting". I haven't met a plumber yet that actually understands the actual purpose of the pipe hes installing so frequetly its impropely installed in the wrong location making alterations necessary, if it can even be altered to be functional. Over my 20+ years I have seen just too many ways a builder installs a passive system incorrectly to list.....it seems they are always finding new ways to ********** up. The 16 steps are too lengthy and detailed to list here so you might wish to go to the New Jersey DEP radon program web site to find the specifications......or....you can call them directly at 800-648-0394.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:49 PM

Default What to expect ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbunny84 View Post
First.....it doesn't matter what Tier you are in your house can have elevated levels. Yes.....your far less likely to have elevated levels in a Tier 3 than a Tier 1 but don't think because you are in Tier 1 there is no danger. Tier One 25% of houses are high.....Tier Two 5 to 24% are high and in Tier Three less than 5% are high. That being said there is no rhyme or reason to radon levels.......your house can be high and your neighbors low.....I've seen one house register a 30 while the house directly next to it only a 1. I've seen new construction twin homes with a divided basement where one side is high while the other is low. The only way to know for sure is to test. The vast majority of my mitigation work is in Tier Two areas !!!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:30 AM

Thanks you guys for all this info. I will be moving to Passaic County and it is a tier 2 according to NJDEP-Radiation Protection Programs. So it sounds like my 3.1 reading is average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey