U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-23-2008, 07:24 AM

4,397 posts, read 7,811,947 times
Default Anyone do this tile re-glazing thing?

How much does it cost (roughly?) and how does it look?

We've got a ???? not sure how old bathroom... maybe from the 1960s. The tiles are in perfect condition they just happen to be peach colored. We would replace the toilet, re-tile the floor, and sink,faucet/fixtures and medicine cabinet, re-paint, re-trim, etc. but keep all the wall tiling, tub and all the plumbing in tact (which I guess is the majority of the labor).

We got a quote for a 36 sq ft bathroom to the tune of 10,000 in LABOR for doing a gut job While it is the only quote we've gotten so far, it was from a guy who did other work for us at a very fair price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-23-2008, 07:32 AM

9,125 posts, read 21,518,128 times
$10k to gut and redo a bathroom doesn't surprise me one bit, assuming we're talking about a legit, licensed, insured contractor. The tile re-glazing systems vary- some last a long time, and some not so long. The key is in the prep- if you don't have a perfectly clean surface that's rough enough to create a solid bond for the coating, the coating will come off with a fingernail. You're probably looking at somewhere around $1,000-1,500 to coat the tub and tile, depending on how much tile you have.

Unread 10-23-2008, 07:37 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,551,019 times
Personally I would wait until you have the money to do it right. Our last house we did quick fixes, which we ended up spending more money on in the end to do right.

Unread 10-23-2008, 07:38 AM

55 posts, read 226,479 times
Look into Bath Fitters. We had ours done about 10 years ago and it still looks new. Easy to clean.

Ours is plain, but now they have great looking designs with built in shelves, etc.

I would use them again if needed.

Unread 10-23-2008, 07:14 PM

yes 10k sounded like a NORMAL market rate after i did some research, just surprising for such a tiny room. i guess it is all in the plumbing and tiling labor. He was also only talking about tiling the bath (right now the whole room is tiled like chest high ha!).

at least a few more thousand in new tub, sink, toilet, vanity, fixture, lamp, tiles... and of course, heated floor.

I'd love to see the breakdown of the costs and figure out what I can do myself.

Anyone else try the tile reglazing?

Unread 10-23-2008, 07:18 PM

4,717 posts, read 5,603,075 times
I redid both bathrooms MYSELF about 5 years ago.

Tile work is not hard. Just buy a wetsaw from Home Depot for under $100.

Believe me, the cost savings and satisfaction by doing it yourself is well worth it.

Unread 10-23-2008, 08:04 PM

5,343 posts, read 8,420,538 times
Now MPB is inhaling all those fumes tellint us something?

Anyway, we had our tub done, but not the tiles. Our house had an awesome old big tub that you couldn't buy today - so we didn't want to mess with it. I liked that.

Unread 10-24-2008, 06:36 AM

142 posts, read 356,333 times
First of all, you are lucky to have peach tile. In our bathroom, we have PINK tile w/ black tile edging trim on the top. I don't know how to work w/ those colors so I'm looking into the reglazing. We don't plan on living here forever, so I don't care. We're redoing our kitchen and I am not investing into new tile for the bathroom.

Anyway, I was talking to a designer in one of the threads in the Home forum on here and she mentioned that they sell kits at Home Depot for tile reglazing. I haven't had the chance to check it out and read it and talk to the HD person to get some backfeed on doing it yourself w/ the kit, but just wanted to throw that out there for ya.

Also, if you wanted a quote for a professional to do it, she said to get a person who specializes in tile to give a quote.

Good luck! Keep me posted!

P.S. If you haven't already...why don't you also post this question in the Home forum. You may get more responses as far as people who have hired someone to do it or if they did it themselves.

As for the fumes, just be sure kids are out of the house and wear a really good mask. No biggie.

Unread 10-24-2008, 11:02 AM

Sounds like our house. I call it pink but my wife says peach. We also have a black border on the top. It is not so bad, just could use a little rejuvenating.

We just did the kitchen and it was well worth it. The price of labor on the kitchen was about $5000 and we got ripped off, so for a room 1/4 the size, to cost 2x as much was a shock.

There is a place in Ridgefield park that does this re-glazing thing exclusively. I do not know anything about them but we may check them out.

Reglazing refinishing resurfacing bathtubs and tile

We also do not plan on staying forever but you never know. It is a 2 BR house so its quite possible, with no kids as of yet, we could be here another 10 years. Its funny, my wife's sister has 2 children, a 5 Bedroom house, and they only use 2 bedrooms. The kids are 4 and 5 and insist on sleeping in the same bedroom so who knows

Unread 11-03-2008, 07:30 AM

4 posts, read 53,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
How much does it cost (roughly?) and how does it look?

We've got a ???? not sure how old bathroom... maybe from the 1960s. The tiles are in perfect condition they just happen to be peach colored. We would replace the toilet, re-tile the floor, and sink,faucet/fixtures and medicine cabinet, re-paint, re-trim, etc. but keep all the wall tiling, tub and all the plumbing in tact (which I guess is the majority of the labor).

We got a quote for a 36 sq ft bathroom to the tune of 10,000 in LABOR for doing a gut job While it is the only quote we've gotten so far, it was from a guy who did other work for us at a very fair price

Good question - bathroom wall tile reglazing is the next best thing to replacing and it should cost somewhere between $500 and $1200, depending on the size of the bathroom and the work that's involved.

We work on bathrooms all the time, especially near Tarrytown and East Austin and PINK was very popular The scent during and after refinishing can be strong, but it's also a 1 day process. That's just part of the tradeoff.

Check out a reputable company like Miracle Method - they are a bit on the high side but they do great work and have a guarantee. Or you can always give me a call

Let us know how it turned out

Jose
AllSurfaceRenew.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey