Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:03 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
It says more about each of those city's electorate than it does any particular party.

Maybe those voters expect more from elected officials than they can, or even more, should, provide.

The daddy/mommy state can't work because it just can't love it's so-called "children".
Inner Cities have unique problems that can not be fixed by any one area alone - if I knew what the solution was I would implement it, but many wiser than me have tried and failed. But the list is endless and I'm not even going to START that debate here.

The bottom line is we are also looking at this from a NJ perspective (and why not, it's a NJ board) but I'm sure there are some crappy towns in Arkansas that have Republicans in power for 100 years and they suck too. Maybe a Dem should just take them over and all will be well too.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:15 AM

50 posts, read 304,619 times
Well, whoever you got the email from is a liar. I am not going to go through each of the cities, but I live in Miami and while the current mayor is a Democrat, the previous two were Republicans. It might make sense to research these things before sharing.

Miami, FL (5th) has never had a Republican Mayor

Old 10-26-2008, 05:27 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Inner Cities have unique problems that can not be fixed by any one area alone - if I knew what the solution was I would implement it, but many wiser than me have tried and failed. But the list is endless and I'm not even going to START that debate here.

The bottom line is we are also looking at this from a NJ perspective (and why not, it's a NJ board) but I'm sure there are some crappy towns in Arkansas that have Republicans in power for 100 years and they suck too. Maybe a Dem should just take them over and all will be well too.
Of course you know the solution. Start caring about the people instead of your pocket book.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiGringo View Post
Well, whoever you got the email from is a liar. I am not going to go through each of the cities, but I live in Miami and while the current mayor is a Democrat, the previous two were Republicans. It might make sense to research these things before sharing.

Yeah - most of those e-mails should be vetted. Like VP candidates should be.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Of course you know the solution. Start caring about the people instead of your pocket book.
My personal pocket book or the collective pocket book?

Old 10-26-2008, 01:37 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
We've been trying to buy our way out of social ills for decades. With some problems, that just doesn't accomplish anything.

NJ's a perfect example of that, unfortunately.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:02 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
I got the below email and found it interesting. Don't know if it's true or not, couldn't find it on Snopes.

What do the top ten U.S. cities with the highest poverty rate
all have in common?

The answer: Democrat leadership

Detroit, MI
(1st on the poverty list) they haven't elected a
Republican mayor since 1961

Buffalo, NY
(2nd) hasn't elected one since 1954

Cincinnati, OH (3rd)... since 1984

Cleveland, OH (4th)... since 1989

St. Lo uis, MO (6th).... since 1949

El Paso, TX (7th) has never had a Republican Mayor

Milwaukee, WI (8th)... since 1908

Philadelphia, PA (9th)... since 1952

Newark, NJ (10th)... since 1907

*Einstein once said, “The definition of insanity is doing
the same thing over and over again and expecting different
results.”

It is the disadvantaged who habitually elect Democrats,
- yet they are still disadvantaged.

As Charles Barkley the former NBA player stated,
“All these years the poor people have voted for the
democrats, one thing remained the same, they are still poor!”
Ok..now show us weathliest States and denote which party governs them

Old 10-27-2008, 03:52 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Ok..now show us weathliest States and denote which party governs them
The pride of living in "wealthy state" rings hollow to those that aren't wealthy.

NJ has plenty of people who don't really benefit from living in a so-called wealthy state.

If anything, it's more difficult for the lower-middle and working classes. .

It works well for me but I believe I'm in the minority.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:56 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
In these cases, Democratic is a sympton not a cause.

Democrats are seen as being more sympathetic toward welfare and government assistance. The people in poverty tend to be city dwellers where they have access to clinics and public transportation.

Poverty causes Democrats not Democrats cause poverty.

Edit: Oh and #1 Detroit. Run so poorly, the level is almost inconceivable. Google Detroit, Mayor, Council, Corruption, Jail

Old 10-27-2008, 06:05 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Pre-election trolling on city-data? Surely you jest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: