Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:05 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravity View Post
I totally agree. Plus Montclair and all other similar towns should have there fair share of the poor. I think that is the main problem. Too many poor living together.
"Fair share of the poor"? That's a new one. Is that another way of saying "fair share of the criminal element"?

What do you suggest, bussing them in?

Uh-oh. I hope Gov. Corzine doesn't peruse City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 PM

13 posts, read 53,883 times
The "Share the Wealth" thing has already happened in America. It is not a new thing. I am not afraid of that. It's just that suburban towns in NJ have historically paid poorer cities to build housing. These richer towns don't want the poorer to live in their communities. This has been happening for years and attributes to the decline of heavily populated cities.

Corzine signed the act to stop this practice on July 18, 2008. Essentially this will help decrease the amount poverty in urban communities.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 PM

13 posts, read 53,883 times
Here is the a link to the article that also attaches a link to the new act.
Corzine signs overhaul of NJ's affordable housing law - Breaking News From New Jersey - NJ.com

Old 10-29-2008, 11:39 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,382 times
If you drive down Norfolk there are rows and rows of abandon house Boarded up making the city look even worse (if thats even possible) they need to fix those houses up and give it to a family not an apartment in the projects thats all jacked up to begin with - if its their's then they just might take care of it. I do agree that they cram all the poor and criminals in the projects and that just produces more poor and criminals minded kids.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:23 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default Newark = Dodge City

Yikes!

You have to wonder why Newark can't be cleaned up after all these years. Its not like anyone needs to hire a consultant to identify the problem.

Can't clean up cities like Newark and LA....... ever!, but hey Iraq takes more than a week and for shame!

Very limited experience with Newark, but once upon a time.........

Years ago a herd of Newark cops unceremoniously stopped me and 2 two buds because they thought we were terrorist cop killers....and they were the good guys!!

Never forget swat guy with the turned around baseball cap and pump shotgun pounding on the truck..."we got the F******s", "we got the F*****s", just before they all disappeared into the night after realizing their OOPS!. Does anyone have a clue as to what to do when a scared cop holding his gun with two hands screams at you to, "assume the position"? Brush up on your cop show vocabulary before venturing into Newark.

Stay far, far, far away from Newark!

My dad used to tell me how nice Newark used to be way back when so it does have possibilities......theoretically.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:28 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Newark is a lot safer since Sharp James. It's all about the media reporting out of control.
But... Sharpe James is a criminal himself.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:45 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,382 times
Newark is out of control while I do think its a whole lot better under Mayor Booker's admin. then it was in the past. But it's still out of control yes maybe the percentage of murders are lowered but that doesnt negate the fact that there are so many shootings and other violent crimes that happend every single day. Last Friday 2 people were murdered and 4 people were shot in Newark - all within a couple of hours in broad daylight thats out of control.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:14 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
What we could do is stop all this suburban sprawl and start developing Newark

Plenty of good infrastructure, public transportation

Leave the Meadowlands alone, and build in Newark
Already ahead of you. I am actually opening a real estate office in Newark and have contracts with a few major developers. It is a sad state that Newark is in now, but hopefully we will be able to change this. I believe it is possible, now all we need is to prove that it is possible to others by showing what we as developers can do!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:15 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
But... Sharpe James is a criminal himself.
And it paid him quite handsomely. His sentence was BS.

On top of that, the radio said that he was still using his campaign funds to fund other politician's races. Looks like he be calling in favors when he gets out of Club Fed and still get to be in the game. Aren't we fortunate.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:54 AM

82 posts, read 250,208 times
Default Imperatore

speaking of the military, I remember growin up in Newark back in the late 60's and Arthur Imperatore drove a mini tank in the streets while the riots were in flare. So now one can never say it has not been done...

I do think also that the media spends a whole lot of time trying to expose the bad sides of a city like any city of its issues, maybe if we focus more on what they are doing and offering, I think most of the issues would go away. Its like giving the bullies no attention to get them to stop... lol

Regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey