U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:33 PM

792 posts, read 2,699,483 times

Advertisements

Does anyone recall or remember Club Anthony (aka Choo Choo Club)?

Passaic St. across from corner of Midland Ave (1 way section) and Passaic St. next to the RR tracks/trestle? Near the Garfield train stop. An empty lot sits there now.

Supposedly IIRC the club was in its prime in the mid-late 70s and then ended in early-mid 80s?

Anyone recall or any recollections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,053 times
I recall it well. In 1969, I was a member of a band called the Uncharted Bus. We played at the Choo Choo Club. Playing there was a pain, because the stage was behind the bar and we had to lift our equipment over the bar to set up. But I have fond memories of the place, overall.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,821 times
i lived in garfield late 50's early 60's never went to choo choo club but my sister did, she knew dave and eddie brigatti aka the young rascals thats where they started

Old 04-10-2010, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,743 times
I too grew up in Garfield, off Shaw St on Madeline Ave. I think the place closed in the early 1970's
If you go to facebook.com group you know your from Garfield...here's the link [url=http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=75399991857&ref=ts]Welcome to Facebook[/url]. there is a picture of Edddie on stage at the Choo-Choo as well as a picture of a match book. the phone # on the match book is PR 9-9573. Cool to remember

Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,069 times
Default Memories

The Choo Choo Club featured Muzzy and the Axcents.
A local girl brought me there in the early 70"s and the first performances I saw them do was the Italian March Down Broadway and the "Prizefight"
They were a classic.
I also caught the last performance when Muzzy announced the band was splitting.
I still remember fondly the Garfield girl and the Club.
A great memory and a time gone bye.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 12,831 times
I am the original owner and operator of the Choo Choo Club,originated from a local tavern called Jimmy's bar and grill after two major structural renovations I created on of north jersey's popular nite club"HOME OF THE RASCALs" and more.I sold th club to a bartender J.F. who ran it for a short time and sold it to A.F. Who changed the name to ClUB ANTHONY which was his 1st mistake,Anthony F. Operated it for a short time until someone left a lit cigarette burning after closing and the club was totally destroyed,it was very painful for me as I got a call only to rush down to see my pride of a club up in flames.

Sal Bonura

Old 06-22-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Does anyone recall or remember Club Anthony (aka Choo Choo Club)?

Passaic St. across from corner of Midland Ave (1 way section) and Passaic St. next to the RR tracks/trestle? Near the Garfield train stop. An empty lot sits there now.

Supposedly IIRC the club was in its prime in the mid-late 70s and then ended in early-mid 80s?

Anyone recall or any recollections?
The place was in its prime from 1963-1971 FACT!!!!! Way before it was changed to Club Anthony

Old 08-17-2014, 12:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,436 times
Sal my brother Gabe tended bar at the Choo Choo some as well as the Riverboat but mainly he worked at Jimmy Kulik's place Jimmy's Lounge.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:19 AM

To Who Cares

Please do not confuse the Choo Choo Chub with Club Anthony there was no affiliation.
I originated and operated the CCC in 1961.I sold it to a bartender and family who worked for me,he operated it for a short period (two years) and sold it to Anthony F 1973 who changed the name to Club Anthony which was his 1st mistake,the CCC had a state wide reputation of the best entertainment for years and operated under strict policies.The RASCALS can verify this as The Pigeons(VANILLA FUDGE),JJOEY DEE & STARLIGHTERS and countless of others,not to mention the ten years of Oldie groups on Tuesdays.you name the Oldie group they passed thru th CCC .

P.S. Don't have Club Anthony confused wit the Bergen County hot spot the CHOO CHOO 1961-1973

Thank You,

Sal Bonura

Old 04-24-2015, 10:48 AM

Default Owner /operator CCC 1961-1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawriter View Post
I recall it well. In 1969, I was a member of a band called the Uncharted Bus. We played at the Choo Choo Club. Playing there was a pain, because the stage was behind the bar and we had to lift our equipment over the bar to set up. But I have fond memories of the place, overall.
You lucky U got to Play ther let alone lifting the equiptment over the bar,You have any Idea how many B3 Hammond organs where lifted over that bar no big deal if you where organized group with good help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey