Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:14 PM

370 posts, read 1,370,152 times

Advertisements

my husband and i looked at a large new construction in the sand rd area. It was more then $150K less then homes just like it in similar towns as well as some other areas of westwood and it was on the market a very long time. Our realtor said it was only a good buy if we never planned to sell it because it is hard to sell a nicer home in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,062 times
So how bad is Sand road really? I have heard it is really bad. I have also heard its not as bad as it was 25 yrs ago. but to be honest, most of the houses are nice. A handful towards Old Hook rd are run-down or boarded up but other than that... I feel like the street is slowly turnign it around to be normal. Would a purchase or a nicer house be a wise investment?

Old 12-26-2009, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,062 times
when was this? i heard it was really bad a while ago, but the houses seem nice. with exception on last few toward Old Hook rd

Old 12-28-2009, 12:15 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Sand Road is mostly the minority section of Westwood , and some of the Apartments near the K-mart. Westwood is mainly White & Asian like my town next to it. I can count the the number black families in my town its 30. But like my Family & others , theres alot of interracial families , about 5 in my town and about 20 in Westwood. As for crime its not that bad , its like most towns in Bergen County , small petite crimes. Nothing big or scary , and no gang problems , although the richer ppl tend to bully the middle class.

~Corey

Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,580 times
I lived on Palisade Ave in westwood for 6 yrs
I did not have a problem except for older kids hanging out in the street with a large group of kids ,I moved before my kids where teens
It is very diverse on Palisade ave and Westwood ave ,I did not have a problem w/ that ,but felt my kids where judged for where in the neighborhood they lived ,and not part of the so called Popular Group
Westwood can be snobbish

Old 11-23-2010, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,580 times
This is a very good source of info on westwood, And the Interracial Families present there is why my Family bought a home there yrs ago

Old 07-01-2014, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,635 times
I've lived in Westwood my whole life. People just think Sand Road is "ghetto" becuase It's a little run down in some area's and all of the residents are black. Let me assure you it's still very safe. I've played basketball at the park in Sand Road hundreds of times. With that being said It's an easy place to score drugs and I've been chased down the block late at night but I never felt there was any REAL danger here. There's some characters/houses your gonna want to stay away from but as far as gang activity or violent crimes there's little to none...

Old 07-02-2014, 09:13 AM

184 posts, read 316,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeStevenson View Post
With that being said It's an easy place to score drugs and I've been chased down the block late at night but I never felt there was any REAL danger here.
So while being chased down the block late at night you never felt REAL danger? How does that work? If I'm being chased down the block, I'm pretty sure I'd be in danger. SMH

Old 07-02-2014, 05:07 PM

777 posts, read 2,380,477 times
I have lived in the area for 10 years and walk & drive down Sand Road all the time. Its safe. Some of the houses are a little rundown, but there are also homes being renovated, other homes less than 10 years old, and new constructions being built. There is a $659k brand new construction on the street that has an accepted offer on it.

Any stigmas about that street or area are outdated and are no longer true.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:21 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeStevenson View Post
I've lived in Westwood my whole life. People just think Sand Road is "ghetto" becuase It's a little run down in some area's and all of the residents are black. Let me assure you it's still very safe. I've played basketball at the park in Sand Road hundreds of times. With that being said It's an easy place to score drugs and I've been chased down the block late at night but I never felt there was any REAL danger here. There's some characters/houses your gonna want to stay away from but as far as gang activity or violent crimes there's little to none...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1981 View Post
So while being chased down the block late at night you never felt REAL danger? How does that work? If I'm being chased down the block, I'm pretty sure I'd be in danger. SMH
Being chased down Sand Road for no reason? C'mon. I've seen some guys with bats walk around sketchier sections of Lodi or Garfield late at night, but Westwood? A bit of a stretch, even for Sand Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey