Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,915,312 times

Advertisements

DH has a very good job opportunity at a co that is located in Brooklyn - I guess it's the Sheepshead Bay area... In the vicinity of Ave U and Knapp Street. The hours will be "off" peak, so it would not be at rush hour all the time. How dreadful of a commute would this be?

(Admittedly, I know not a thing about Brooklyn.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 05:51 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,475,681 times
Off peak, not so dreadful. (Best way to Brooklyn by car: go a little south of where you are, and head for the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. When you get to the Brooklyn side of the bridge, follow the signs for the Belt Parkway heading east. There's an exit just before Knapp Street, which you can take straight up to Avenue U).

Old 10-30-2008, 08:15 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,306,417 times
Just take the Westside Hwy all the way around to Brooklyn bridge, then BQE, but then get off the Prospect Expwy, and just head south along ocean parkway until you get to Ave U

The Westside Hwy has virtually no traffic during off-peak hours, FDR still for some reason does

If Westside Hwy is jammed at some point, there are various exit you can take, and just head south on the local streets for a bit and then cut back out

Old 10-30-2008, 08:37 PM

593 posts, read 1,655,369 times
Well, for starters, you can take the train over there. Catch a PATH to 34th street, take the F train to where you want to go. To me, it's easier to find my way around New York than New Jersey.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,915,312 times
Thanks all. He'd probably have to take his car because he will have a district, but be based out of that area. He's a Jersey boy, so this should be interesting.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:39 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,211,380 times
See, EEEP! I knew you were just waiting for an opportunity to move back to Jersey City! Brooklyn is SO EASY from here!

I know someone who is from Marine Park and now lives in WNY. He takes the Bayonne Br. to the VZB and Belt, or the route I'm about to describe. Depending on how "off peak" your DH's trip is being made, he could go through his tunnel of choice to NYC, down to the BK-Battery Tun. (this adds another toll to the trip, but saves time), and down the Prosp Exwy to Ocean Pkwy. Totally off-peak it would prob take an hour. The independent variables on trip time would be the Hudson River tunnels and the interface w/ the Gowanus. Going around to the VZB might save time in heavy traffic, but it's a ton more miles. If he's going at a time whent here's nobody on the road (not just off-peak, but when NOBODY's out), he could sail through the Holland, down Canal St., over the Manhattan Br., and down Flatbush Av in no time flat. I would not recommend using Canal or Flatbush during most hours of the day, though. He'll likely learn the best route for the time of day by trial and error.

Would he be doing this trip every day, or a couple/few days a week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey