Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:16 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,895 times

Advertisements

I had NEVER seen a stink bug in my adult life until late this past Sept./early Oct.

They were all over the place. In my garage, on my car, on my house, everywhere! And not just one or two, like 10-15 at a time.

Got back from a southern vacation about 2 weeks ago and was relieved to see that they were gone.

Unfortunately some strange looking black/red bug (about the size of a lightening bug) took their place.

And yesterday, when I had the kids at soccer...I ran into about 5 stink-bugs! On our chair, on our bag, on some other kids...YUCK!

I don't remember ever having such a "buggy" fall?

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 06:14 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,082 times
What is a stink bug? Are they those flat funny shaped things?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:10 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
What is a stink bug? Are they those flat funny shaped things?
Yeah-they are greyish, trapezoidal shaped, starwars looking insects that smell moldy/musty when you squash them! And they are everywhere this year!

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug - Penn State Entomology Department Fact Sheet

Old 11-03-2008, 08:42 AM

86 posts, read 226,874 times
I used to pick wild rasberries from the bushes and eat them in the summer in New England (what can I say...my parents were health freaks and would not allow me snacks ). The stink bugs hide inside of the fruit...needless to say...they taste even worse than they smell!
Lizzy

Old 11-03-2008, 08:56 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,931,864 times
I saw my first one last summer. Since then, they have been around all the time. My cats and dog get a kick out of chasing them.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Yeah-they are greyish, trapezoidal shaped, starwars looking insects that smell moldy/musty when you squash them! And they are everywhere this year!

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug - Penn State Entomology Department Fact Sheet
Thanks. They have some pretty amazing markings for an insect!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:28 AM

17 posts, read 78,261 times
I don't remember seeing them before and this year we had a TON of them.

I thought they had gone away but I saw one on Friday. My dogs and cats like chasing them too but I hate when they are on my front door and I have to get into the house. I hate bugs.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 AM
KCV

11 posts, read 46,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Unfortunately some strange looking black/red bug (about the size of a lightening bug) took their place.

Were these the black/red bugs? Box Elder Bugs

My neighbor seems to have a box elder tree that they are attracted to, and they seem to like my house. I can't get rid of these bugs to save my life. I HATE them.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzy View Post
I used to pick wild rasberries from the bushes and eat them in the summer in New England (what can I say...my parents were health freaks and would not allow me snacks ). The stink bugs hide inside of the fruit...needless to say...they taste even worse than they smell!
Lizzy
Yuck!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV View Post
Were these the black/red bugs? Box Elder Bugs

My neighbor seems to have a box elder tree that they are attracted to, and they seem to like my house. I can't get rid of these bugs to save my life. I HATE them.
Yes...those are them! I'm going to have to ask my husband what kind of trees he had planted a few year ago.

I can't stand them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey