U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:39 AM

86 posts, read 199,270 times

Advertisements

I took the boys I take care of trick or treating for 3 hours on Friday night. I was surprised that there were not many trick or treaters in the area, but it had started to get dark. One thing I did notice that was appalling? A group of middle school or early HS girls dressed in short shorts, fishnet stockings and skintight clothing. How does this happen? I was wondering the parents POV on this whole deal, would you let your daughter go out like this? I think I would lock mine up...

Lizzy

Old 11-03-2008, 08:45 AM

89 posts, read 625,061 times
Haven't you seen the movie "Mean Girls"? Halloween is the day where girls can dress as trampy as they please, but no one can say anything about it!

.....I don't get it either. It's only been about 10 years since I've been in High school, but I don't remember girls dressing like that at all. They even LOOK older than high schoolers looked when I was growing up. It's creepy.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,881,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzy View Post
I took the boys I take care of trick or treating for 3 hours on Friday night. I was surprised that there were not many trick or treaters in the area, but it had started to get dark. One thing I did notice that was appalling? A group of middle school or early HS girls dressed in short shorts, fishnet stockings and skintight clothing. How does this happen? I was wondering the parents POV on this whole deal, would you let your daughter go out like this? I think I would lock mine up...

Lizzy
My daughter would never go out like that......not even at 18........

Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 AM

1,977 posts, read 6,822,632 times
I guess the girls I knew in HS were the slutty ones then (altho i dont remember any of them ever actually being slutty...just dressing that way) Many of them would leave the house dressed one way then change at someones house before the party or get together.

I do admit...they are looking older at a younger age tho. Around by me we call them Prosti-tots.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,712,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzy View Post
I was wondering the parents POV on this whole deal, would you let your daughter go out like this?
I'd let my daughter go out like that, but . . . I'm not exactly "normal" to say the least.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:18 AM

5,340 posts, read 12,597,521 times
OP - This is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves! Every Halloween I'm so irritated and furious over this. This year I took a Xanax first so I wouldn't pop a vessel or something..... it helped.

It is HORRIBLE. Their parents must have a huge rock sitting in their head - because these are YOUNG girls and the parents should not be BUYING these costumes. I see girls that are in 1st and 2nd grade dressed COMPLETELY inappropriately. I've decided the world is just about coming to an end when it comes to this topic...if you have daughters you know that getting non-HO clothing for them after size 7 is challenging to say the least.... I DO NOT let my kids dress like that and thankfully they don't seem to have any desire to. Neither do my nieces. (I guess the prayers are working.) While trick or treating this year my sister kept whispering to me "Oh, and to the left we have the skanky w***es...." the sad thing is these kids were in THIRD grade. And they were WITH their parents.... the pedophiles must just LOVE Halloween...

I think the sexualizing of our children is going to do more damage than we can imagine. It's SO hard to sheild your kids from it today.

And y'all thought I was all liberal all the time...told you I was not! :-p

Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,706,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
This year I took a Xanax first so I wouldn't pop a vessel or something..... it helped.
I've got an idea... and this isn't to be mean or even to disagree with you....

Don't worry about how other people parent. It isn't your problem, it isn't your fault. We cannot legislate morality, its a personal decision by the parents, and their right as a parent to choose what is appropriate and what is not.

So don't let it bother you. You won't control the media, you won't stop seeing Paris Hilton (ok, well not lately, but atleast that type of rich party-girl mentality) hitting the paper, or see any change in parents who think its ok to replicate this behavior in costume form. Such is life. As long as you parent your own children, they will grow up well adjusted individuals, something to be thankful for.

That said, I would personally take issue (saying it were my daughter) with prosti-tot costumes up til... somewhere around 16ish. At that point, I would hope I've taught my child enough self respect to know that there is a difference between having fun with a costume, and doing something else entirely. I also know at that point my child would be around people who would be driving, so they could change clothes if I tried to restrict this, which is why I personally like the "Have fun but don't make me disappointed in you" method.

But, to each their own.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I think the sexualizing of our children is going to do more damage than we can imagine. It's SO hard to sheild your kids from it today.
I think just the opposite--that the extreme reactions against this do far more damage. [where's that shrug icon?]

Old 11-03-2008, 10:35 AM

5,340 posts, read 12,597,521 times
Well, if you can advocate 6-7-8 yr old girls dressing like sl*ts, there is a serious issue... tell me one GOOD reason for doing that? Just one.

I do agree with you CuCullin. One thing that DOES tick me off (and I'm actually very involved in helping limit this) is the MARKETING that is geared toward children for these things. And it has been successful, but it's an uphill battle.

Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood Home

Has done some great things.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Well, if you can advocate 6-7-8 yr old girls dressing like sl*ts, there is a serious issue... tell me one GOOD reason for doing that? Just one.
Sure. "Human beings should be allowed to dress however they'd like to dress." That's a very good reason in my view, and is basically axiomatic.

I'm also against restricting information content like marketing when it comes to all humans, including kids. But I'm pretty much in favor of complete freedom of speech.

However, I'm sure we have very different views on not only morality, but on views in fields like philosophy, psychology, science in general, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey