Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:40 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,601,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
agreed, but keep in mind that they wanted a new name that would have the same initials (w.p.) as west paterson. i know that they suggested "west park" back in the '90s, which isn't any better than "woodland park".

what's with all these towns in nj changing names over the past few years? south belmar became lake como, dover became toms river (that one made a lot of sense), washington township in mercer county became robbinsville (ditto), and now west paterson has become woodland park.

i guess even with town names, it's all about marketing and branding so that you seem more attractive to potential home buyers and businesses.
lol. i thought robbinsville and washington township were simply 2 towns near eachother. we have like 3 washington townships in the state. TOms river i never knew as dover, maybe they did that so there wont be 2 dovers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 11:20 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,920,196 times
Kind of silly really... you can put lipstick on a pig and... oops... sorry. LOL

I don't know, most in Jersey know W Paterson is not Paterson... and I'll be 75 before I begin calling it Woodland Park (which is a dull name....)

Old 11-07-2008, 11:23 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,021,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
lol. i thought robbinsville and washington township were simply 2 towns near eachother. we have like 3 washington townships in the state. TOms river i never knew as dover, maybe they did that so there wont be 2 dovers?
yeah, i was surprised when i heard about mercer county's washington township changing its name last year, but i guess its residents just got tired of always explaining which of the washingtons they're from.

as it turns out, there were six washington townships in nj up until november 2007. now that the one in mercer has changed its name, there are "only" five left - one each in bergen, morris, warren, burlington, and gloucester counties. there's also a washington borough, which is completely surrounded by warren county's washington township and is in very close proximity to the washington township in morris, which is right across the county line.

Washington Township, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

back in the day, we had family friends who lived who lived in warren county's washington township. while giving us directions to their house, they told us about the three washingtons in their area, which we found confusing to say the least.

i guess if there were ever a town that could use a name change, it would be one or more of the remaining washingtons - especially in the warren/western morris area.

as for toms river, you're right, they changed their name to avoid confusion with the dover in morris county. it's a weird case, though, because everyone had always referred to the dover in ocean county as toms river, but it was never official until 2006. even mailing addresses said "toms river", but the official township name was still "dover" until a couple of years ago. really strange.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:26 PM

NJ HAS TOO MANY TOWNS. That's the problem. My DH was EXTREMELY challenged at one point about 10 yrs ago. My Mom lived in Wood-Ridge, my sister in Woodbridge, our good friend in Ridgewood and another in Ringwood. HE NEVER got the names right. LOL Fortunately, they have all moved. LOL

Old 11-08-2008, 12:14 PM

Related... NorthJersey.com: Students peacefully protest town's name change (http://www.northjersey.com/news/Students_peacefully_protest_towns_name_change.html - broken link)

My friend who lives there says her OLD Italian mother can finally tell people where she lives now! LOL Apparently she was lying and telling them she was in Montclair. Oy.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:43 PM

179 posts, read 704,535 times
Elwood Park was EAST Paterson at one time about 20/25 years ago

Old 11-08-2008, 11:34 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,616,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
NJ HAS TOO MANY TOWNS. That's the problem. My DH was EXTREMELY challenged at one point about 10 yrs ago. My Mom lived in Wood-Ridge, my sister in Woodbridge, our good friend in Ridgewood and another in Ringwood. HE NEVER got the names right. LOL Fortunately, they have all moved. LOL
Great point. One of the best things NYC has ever done was to merge Manhattan with 4 surrounding communities to create the modern day City of New York. I think this whole name change thing is really silly. No amound of changing the town's name will improve property value. Because in the long run, the vaiue will still be the same. It is like putting a fresh coat of paint on a car that needs a new engine. I can think of another reason why some people wanted W. Paterson to change it's name..

Old 11-08-2008, 11:37 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,616,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older&Wiser View Post
Elwood Park was EAST Paterson at one time about 20/25 years ago
So I guess South Paterson ( which is actually located IN Paterson) should change it's name to what? North Clifton?

Old 11-09-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Great point. One of the best things NYC has ever done was to merge Manhattan with 4 surrounding communities to create the modern day City of New York. I think this whole name change thing is really silly. No amound of changing the town's name will improve property value. Because in the long run, the vaiue will still be the same. It is like putting a fresh coat of paint on a car that needs a new engine. I can think of another reason why some people wanted W. Paterson to change it's name..

I only think it will help with REALLY uniformed buyers - maybe from out of state. People in the area KNOW W. Paterson was not Paterson. That said, the lackluster schools and such don't help the property values, maybe they should concentrate more on that.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:15 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,701,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I only think it will help with REALLY uniformed buyers - maybe from out of state. People in the area KNOW W. Paterson was not Paterson. That said, the lackluster schools and such don't help the property values, maybe they should concentrate more on that.
W.P. schools aren't good? Really? Wow, I never knew that! I was always under the impression they were fairly good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey