Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:35 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times

Advertisements

Last night my wife and i were driving home from my parents house at 8pm and on Godwin ave in Midland Park, some nut job standing in his bathroom with blood dripping down his face and neck - is standing in the dead center of the lane waving us down... First I think if my wife hadn't said something I would have mowed him over. Wearing dark clothes, in the dark, where there's no street light... NOT SMART.

i slow down hestitantly and cracked the window "what is going on???"

he told us that his neighbor "beat the... out of him" and he wants to get in the car...

hes like PLEASE PLEASE let me in and I'm thinking... why don't you just walk to the police station, which is 1 block away????

my wife, is thinking quickly and is like OUR DOG WILL BITE YOU (who is in the back seat, growling already

My stupid cell phone, can go on Instant messenger and post to City-Data, but it takes about 90 seconds to make a phone call, so by the time I'm dialing my wife is already on the phone with the police station

Within 30 seconds the police and ambulance are there - and we took off.

I know, this is not really that big of a deal, but it upsets me to be subjected to this crap in my own town [which I consider to be a very nice crime free town] (probably hence why I stopped in the first place, probably if it were any other town I would not have stopped)... My best guess was this guy was high or??? because he was pretty out of it.

Hopefully the cops took care of him. I told my wife, in retrospect, I don't care what is going on, DO NOT STOP for anything like this...just keep going, and call the police. It is sort of shame to have this mindset, but i think that is reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 07:54 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Personally I would have called police and waited there if not for anything other then curiosity.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
Was the guy telling the truth?

Old 11-09-2008, 11:07 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
i would not have stopped either. With all these scams and robberies, you just dont know what people will pull. I have heard all sorts of crazy scams.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:14 AM

517 posts, read 1,806,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
some nut job standing in his bathroom with blood dripping down his face and neck - is standing in the dead center of the lane waving us down... First I think if my wife hadn't said something I would have mowed him over.
I'm sorry but I can't get past this line in your post. What does the bathroom have to do with being in the middle of the street. Did I miss something?

By the way, I wouldn't have stopped either. But, I'm still wondering about THAT sentence

Old 11-09-2008, 11:18 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
I'm sorry but I can't get past this line in your post. What does the bathroom have to do with being in the middle of the street. Did I miss something?

By the way, I wouldn't have stopped either. But, I'm still wondering about THAT sentence
Well, that leads me to believe the guy is living in a double wide and he was in driving down the middle of the road when he was attacked by his neighbor.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:36 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
The fact is, that by stopping and waiting you may have saved his life. It is people's willingness to always assume the worst (that it might be a scam) that scares me. If my daughter got injured and ran out into the street despondent and looking for help I would hope someone would stop and help. No, maybe not take the person into your car but to do exactly what you did. Call the police and wait to be sure no further injury is done. I hope that there never is a next time for you, but if there is, and it isn't in your town, consider if it were someone you knew...wouldn't you want someone to stop? As a fellow NJ citizen I thank you for doing the right thing.

A few years back I saw a dog get hit by a car in the middle of a family neighborhood. The little boy who the dog had gotten away from stood and watched helplessly as the accident happened. I was driving by. I stopped. Called the police and comforted the little boy. I realize this isn't the same thing...but I like to think people have a heart. The police had my name and number and later on the boys mom called to thank me. The dog had died but she was so appreciative someone was there for her son.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:53 AM

517 posts, read 1,806,102 times
hrjersey-

I should have written more but I was distracted by THAT part of the story I questioned above.

As a single woman, possibly with my son in the back, I wouldn't have stopped to talk to him but I would have called 911 or driven to the police station. Maybe I would have shown the guy that I was calling for help or rolled down the window a bit.

If I had a man around, i would have taken more of a risk.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:09 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Do you know how many horror movies start off that way?

Old 11-09-2008, 03:39 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
bathroom=bath robe!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey