Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times

Advertisements

This is my 3rd time dropping out but this time it's real. I wanted to share this just to say dropping out is too common in this country. According to statistics I seen online nearly 1/2 of freshmen from 2000-2007 are dropping out or something like that. 1/4 drop out of college during their freshman year. These statistics are becoming out of control and I don't see the media talking much about it. I've been to 3 colleges so I think I've learned some valuable lessons.

Friendly pointers to parents:

Motivate ur children to challenge theirself, but don't put so much pressure or expectations on them or they'll end up wasting time learning crap courses they're only doing to satisfy you and they will fail and be very discouraged.

The key is to explore rather that's working a bluecollar job for a year or taking a few 101 courses to see what floats their boat and can succeed in. If they're not passionate with a major, they will not succeed in it period.

Don't be embaressed or ashamed of ur children if they tried school and don't want it, or if they go to community college. Community College is just as challenging and that's no understatement.

Don't expect a degree in 4 years because it doesn't work that way. That's if they know exactly what they want which is very rare. Don't keep asking so what have u decided to be ur major? It takes ATLEAST two years to figure that one out.

YOU HAVE TO BE NOSY AND SEE THEIR REPORT CARDS AND SCHEDULE, THEY WILL LIE, I've lied so much it isn't even funny, basicly my parents don't know my business at all, I had my father thinking I was going to school for a year but I wasn't. I even bough a fake degree incase he asked to see it. phonydiploma.com . So what I'm doing now is going back to community college, only I'm not working towards a degree at all. I'm gonna make my own lesson plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 02:19 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Personally, and this is my opinion now but who knows how it will change in 20 years when I have a kid going to college, I would promote going to community college while holding a job simultaneously, paying rent, paying their own cell phone bill, feeding themselves. Teaching them real responsibilities. Not, 4 hours of classes and 20 hours of free time a day.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:37 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Personally, and this is my opinion now but who knows how it will change in 20 years when I have a kid going to college, I would promote going to community college while holding a job simultaneously, paying rent, paying their own cell phone bill, feeding themselves. Teaching them real responsibilities. Not, 4 hours of classes and 20 hours of free time a day.
I agree with this completely, being a college student. However, that last sentence, I don't. I'm bombarded by papers, studying, exams, etc, and I'm only attending a CC for the time being. On top of that, I work...and somewhere (somehow) I find the time to squeeze in one or two meals, and a few hours of sleep.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:16 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
So, GF is graduating in May (holy crap - WAY sooner than I thought!), went to county first, got her degree there, now is getting her bs. No biggie.

Of course, I'm a college dropout statistic too - worked for me

Old 11-11-2008, 03:32 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
sorry your dropping out, how about a trade school? May I ask why? I find this sad, I like you and your posts so this is a little sad. So what do you do and what are you planning to do? Did you need to go to college. I graduated Seton Hall with 3.8 and did nothing with my life but get high then get sober. SO soberity is an accomplishment, but basically I agree with your posts, parents dont spoil your kids with your money even if you have tons of it. You kid will wind up with no direction in life like me. Tell them you have money and invested for them when they are 40 not 15!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:37 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
by the way we are here to support you and hope you find your niche in life!!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:48 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
This is my 3rd time dropping out but this time it's real. I wanted to share this just to say dropping out is too common in this country. According to statistics I seen online nearly 1/2 of freshmen from 2000-2007 are dropping out or something like that. 1/4 drop out of college during their freshman year. These statistics are becoming out of control and I don't see the media talking much about it. I've been to 3 colleges so I think I've learned some valuable lessons.

Friendly pointers to parents:

Motivate ur children to challenge theirself, but don't put so much pressure or expectations on them or they'll end up wasting time learning crap courses they're only doing to satisfy you and they will fail and be very discouraged.

The key is to explore rather that's working a bluecollar job for a year or taking a few 101 courses to see what floats their boat and can succeed in. If they're not passionate with a major, they will not succeed in it period.

Don't be embaressed or ashamed of ur children if they tried school and don't want it, or if they go to community college. Community College is just as challenging and that's no understatement.

Don't expect a degree in 4 years because it doesn't work that way. That's if they know exactly what they want which is very rare. Don't keep asking so what have u decided to be ur major? It takes ATLEAST two years to figure that one out.

YOU HAVE TO BE NOSY AND SEE THEIR REPORT CARDS AND SCHEDULE, THEY WILL LIE, I've lied so much it isn't even funny, basicly my parents don't know my business at all, I had my father thinking I was going to school for a year but I wasn't. I even bough a fake degree incase he asked to see it. phonydiploma.com . So what I'm doing now is going back to community college, only I'm not working towards a degree at all. I'm gonna make my own lesson plans.

You are over 18, I presume, so therefore, you are an adult. It seems like you may be passing the blame onto your parents for your failed attempts to finish college. You need to make decisions and take responsibility for yourself at this point in your life. If you haven't found something you are passionate about outside of college that will make you a decent living for the rest of your working life, you might want to finish that college degree (again, don't waste time on somethng that won't get you a good job).

Nothing wrong w/ going through the community college -- maybe even transfer from there to a 4-year program. Too many drop out and have regrets later (my BIL could not find a decent job for 2 years b/c he didn't have a degree even though he had the necessary experience). If you're not ready for it, that's ok too -- but set a timeframe to get back in, especially before you start your own family.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:42 PM

27 posts, read 84,337 times
I dropped out my second year of college. During this time I worked in a restaurant and didn't know what to do with myself. My family gave me hell about it. Thankfully I went back and got my degree. I finished something that was important to me. It's not easy to make a living. It is still hard and I am 50 years old. If you are not academically inclined, then I say go for a job at the post office or some other position in a trade, like plumbing or electrical so that you can make a decent living. You may not have the time or the freedom to pursue academic subjects as time goes by, so consider your choices now. You may regret quitting. I know many people who didn't finish school and they became entrepreneurs and now are successfully running their own businesses. These people are not the norm however. Some people don't really need school as they are very disciplined and motivated to learn. It is just a good thing to have a higher education in my opinion.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
My problem with this 4 hours of class, 20 hours of nothing to do but homework is that those 20 hours everyday gets old real fast, I'm use to actually doing stuff with my day. But I feel like a moron many days. I had to write an essay 4 pages on one of 20 articles. I read a few of them to choose one. The most interesting one to me was "candy in the ancient world" so I tried to write an essay on it. I find myself sitting infront of MSword and I'm wondering what the heck can I write about this article in four pages. I had to use other references to help me but gees. Electives can be a killer. Why can't a degree just consist of learning related material and learning it well? Feels like a major waste of time almost like a joke. I took this class before in another school but D doesnt transfer. So the 20 other hours are so discouraging.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:50 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Why can't a degree just consist of learning related material and learning it well? Feels like a major waste of time almost like a joke. I took this class before in another school but D doesnt transfer. So the 20 other hours are so discouraging.
Your instincts are correct...your program sounds like its not for you...perhaps it might be more for your parents than you. I wouldn't waste any more time/money on it. Figure out what you think you are good at, interested in, AND can earn you a decent living throughout your life and pursue that wholeheartedly. Also, figure out your learning style (visual, auditory, kinesthetic)...perhaps find an occupation/trade that meshes well w/ that. For example...are you happiest when running around or do you prefer to be seated at a computer? Do you like working with your hands? Running around might mean an occupation such as a builder, mail carrier etc. Sitting around might mean computer programmer, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey