Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:58 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times

Advertisements

From NJ.com

Leader asks to raise 4% cap on property tax hikes - Breaking News From New Jersey - NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 02:04 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Local pension costs have skyrocketed, from $53 million in 2004 to about $1.2 billion due in April 2009, as the result of rising benefit costs, soured investments and a state decision to suspend payments into the pension funds for several years.

Ok pension costs are skyrocketing but the state is liable as well
Soured investments and suspending payments for sevreal years, now they want us...the taxpayers to bail them out..this is so freaking unreal..only in Jersey

Old 11-12-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Local pension costs have skyrocketed, from $53 million in 2004 to about $1.2 billion due in April 2009, as the result of rising benefit costs, soured investments and a state decision to suspend payments into the pension funds for several years.

Soured investments and suspending payments for sevreal years, now they want us...the taxpayers to bail them out..this is so freaking unreal..only in Jersey
hmmmmmm...

The Big 3 and NJ are having the same problem. I wonder why...

Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
I'd like to see the 4% cap stick and i'd also like to see a freeze for people aged 65 and over that would remain in effect until they moved/passed away.

I think the State still has a lot of work to do in getting the large corporate players to start paying taxes. The only way that's going to come about is if NJ makes a pact with all of the surrounding states because, now unfortunately, if the tax man comes knocking they just run out the back door and set up shop in Delaware.

Anyway, I had two thoughts last week on how the health care issue, specifically as it relates to pensioners, is bankrupting a lot of towns, counties and states when, if we had universal health care this wouldn't be an issue at all.

It's amazing how many companies have gone out of their way to avoid hiring full-time, regular employees. If they did they'd have to offer health benefits. I work at such a place. Luckily i'm full-time with bennies but they use mostly contract workers for the transportation operations. In fact, I was thinking about some of the guys who take two buses and a subway and over an hour to get to work (for a 7 mile trip) to make $8 an hour. The transit subsidies aren't really subsidizing the guys riding the bus, they're subsidizing my employer. If these guys got paid $12/hr they'd be able to afford a car.

It just makes me wonder, considering that the $700 billion financial bailout package is equal to the Wall St. bonuses over the last decade, if anything is really going to Change.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:46 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
Quote:

Actually, CT is looking pretty similar right now....

Old 11-12-2008, 07:47 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I'd like to see the 4% cap stick and i'd also like to see a freeze for people aged 65 and over that would remain in effect until they moved/passed away.

I think the State still has a lot of work to do in getting the large corporate players to start paying taxes. The only way that's going to come about is if NJ makes a pact with all of the surrounding states because, now unfortunately, if the tax man comes knocking they just run out the back door and set up shop in Delaware.

Anyway, I had two thoughts last week on how the health care issue, specifically as it relates to pensioners, is bankrupting a lot of towns, counties and states when, if we had universal health care this wouldn't be an issue at all.

It's amazing how many companies have gone out of their way to avoid hiring full-time, regular employees. If they did they'd have to offer health benefits. I work at such a place. Luckily i'm full-time with bennies but they use mostly contract workers for the transportation operations. In fact, I was thinking about some of the guys who take two buses and a subway and over an hour to get to work (for a 7 mile trip) to make $8 an hour. The transit subsidies aren't really subsidizing the guys riding the bus, they're subsidizing my employer. If these guys got paid $12/hr they'd be able to afford a car.

It just makes me wonder, considering that the $700 billion financial bailout package is equal to the Wall St. bonuses over the last decade, if anything is really going to Change.

The 4% cap is ideal... people going from $5k per yr to $15k per year in propoerty taxes is absurd.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:

Aren't your taxes high enough. Last I looked my old house went from $7200 when I was there to $12,000. I don't pay anywhere near the first digure here and her my house is much larger.
Maybe a raise in the sales tax like they do here is better? This way everyone pays. I won't tell you my taxes here, you'll all cry
Its time to fight that. My sister lives in LI and is always crying about her taxes.

Diane G

Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 PM

20,333 posts, read 19,925,039 times
How about a 2% cap. Once you set a cap, it guarantees a yearly raise. Even when many in the pvt sector won't see any raise, reduced benefits with higher costs borne by the pvt sector employee, etc.

The public sector has to get in line with the pvt sector when it comes to employee compensation. Doing otherwise is allowing a false economy.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
How about a 2% cap. Once you set a cap, it guarantees a yearly raise. Even when many in the pvt sector won't see any raise, reduced benefits with higher costs borne by the pvt sector employee, etc.

The public sector has to get in line with the pvt sector when it comes to employee compensation. Doing otherwise is allowing a false economy.
Those that weren't laid off will take a pay cut. My BIL took a 25K pay cut to keep his job, and he had to lay off 6 in his division. So now he is doing even more work for 25K less.

I'm sure there would be riots if that were to happen more frequently in the government jobs, but it won't. Just kill the taxpayers to make up for that.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Aren't your taxes high enough. Last I looked my old house went from $7200 when I was there to $12,000. I don't pay anywhere near the first digure here and her my house is much larger.
Maybe a raise in the sales tax like they do here is better? This way everyone pays. I won't tell you my taxes here, you'll all cry
Its time to fight that. My sister lives in LI and is always crying about her taxes.

Diane G
When my folks moved to Greenville, SC, they traded in a 1200 square foot 3 bed 1.5 bath ranch for a 4 bed/4bath 4,500 square foot Williamsburg Colonial on a golf course and resort. Tax bill as of last year? About 1300 dollars, which had increased about 30 dollars from 2006. This is due in large part to the SC Educational Lottery that actually goes to the school districts. Schools are outstanding in the Greenville area (county system), county police, county services, and most residents are from NY, NJ, MA, PA, and OH. There comes a breaking point from where you are just getting by, to barely scraping by, thus the exodus to the Carolinas, GA, and TN.

Say what you want about paying for great schools in NJ. A kindergarten teacher does not need to be making 75K/year for finger painting and basic ABC's. It's just ludicrous. There are other major metros with tax bills more sane, cheaper housing, and just as good of schools.

The residents of NJ need to wake up and realize they are getting bent over. This is not normal.

Last edited by DowntownJerseyCity; 11-12-2008 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey