Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 AM

10 posts, read 68,368 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a place in Bridgepointe development in Old Bridge. I work at the Federal Plaza in Manhattan (Broadway and Duane) and am trying to figure out the best way to commute. I think my two main options are taking a bus, and driving to South Amboy and taking that train.

1) Are there any buses from Old Bridge that stop off in my area? Or do they just go to Port Authority? Which bus number is the best for me?

2) Is parking available at the South Amboy station?

3) What makes more sense for me in terms of commute time/cost: going from S.Amboy to Penn Station NY, or going from S.Amboy to Newark Penn then PATH to WTC? Or is there a better train option out there?

Thanks again,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:04 AM

71 posts, read 276,915 times
Hey, if you decide to make the move, welcome! I've lived here for 5 years now - it's a great community.

As for the commute, I have experience commuting to midtown, but not downtown. I know there were definitely buses that stopped at the Route 9 Park & Ride that went to Wall Street. There's also a Park & Ride right at the Parkway exit, but I'm not sure if that line runs downtown. Can't recall the line number for that one - 133 or 135, I think? Check out the NJ Transit website. The Route 9 P&R line is the 139.

As for the train, again, I don't have experience going downtown, but my gut feeling would be that, if you're going downtown, you're better off with the PATH. Hopefully, someone who knows better than I will speak up. Broadway & Duane would be, what, a 10-15 minute walk from WTC? Unless the A/C/E or 1/2/3 has a stop very close by, it probably wouldn't make sense to go up to Penn Station.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:59 PM

171 posts, read 815,352 times
My husband has been commuting to Wall street for 2 years now. He tried all the available options. The bus takes the longest time and it's on a very specific schedule. Parking at South Amboy is tough; you have to get there super early. You can drive to Newark, park there and take the PATH. That's the easiest in terms of parking, but it takes a solid hour and a half or more door to door.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:12 PM

thx for the responses, found out South Amboy parking permits are sold out, so it looks like the bus (I think the 134 goes to Broadway and Warren two blocks from my office) is the best bet.

I'm still trying to decide between two places: one in Bridgepointe in Old Bridge. The other in South Middletown. I see it as a no-lose situation. The places are similar, the one in Bridgepointe maybe a little nice, but I think the one in Middletown is a better investment. The schools seem much better in Middletown, but the development lacks the amenities Bridgepointe offers.

I guess the positive is we've narrowed our focus to two places. That's a start, huh?

Old 11-17-2008, 03:24 PM

208 posts, read 852,970 times
You could look into Matawan to take the train in...not sure what kind of wait they have for out of town residents.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:04 PM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian Mason View Post
You could look into Matawan to take the train in...not sure what kind of wait they have for out of town residents.
You'll die of old age first before you get an out of town parking permit.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
You'll die of old age first before you get an out of town parking permit.
lol, I knew the wait in Matawan was real long, just wasn't sure about South Amboy.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:53 PM

111 posts, read 416,720 times
There are private lots in matawan that offer monthly parking. You need to check on craigslist or just drive around town near the train station and look for signs. It's not impossible to get a spot.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:19 PM

What about the 134 bus? Looks like it stops a block from my office. Is there parking at the Old Bridge stop (516 and Bushnell)? Are the times listed on the schedule reliable, or overly-ambitious? I'm used to taking the train, and I'm a little nervous about the buses running late.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 12,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh73 View Post
I am looking at a place in Bridgepointe development in Old Bridge. I work at the Federal Plaza in Manhattan (Broadway and Duane) and am trying to figure out the best way to commute. I think my two main options are taking a bus, and driving to South Amboy and taking that train.

1) Are there any buses from Old Bridge that stop off in my area? Or do they just go to Port Authority? Which bus number is the best for me?

2) Is parking available at the South Amboy station?

3) What makes more sense for me in terms of commute time/cost: going from S.Amboy to Penn Station NY, or going from S.Amboy to Newark Penn then PATH to WTC? Or is there a better train option out there?

Thanks again,
I commute to downtown via Acamday Bus to Wall Street. There is a stop at Worth Street and Broadway very close to Federal Plaza. Goring home the stop is at Worth Street and Church Street. This is very convenient for you. There is a disbatcher at the church street stop every night.

You need to apply for a parking permit to park at the Old Bridge park and Ride.
Hope this is helpful. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey