Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:19 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,612,081 times

Advertisements

I quit for 7 months then caved I had to have that ONE and then I was hooked, please dont be an idiot like I am.......I am gonna try again Good Luck to you and hang in there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 01:35 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,509,245 times
Repeat after me "I will not ever smoke just one."

And the guy who said he took it in 10 minute increments was right on. After a few months it's easier to say, "never again."

Why don't you take that 8 bucks a day and save it and treat yourself to something special after a year?

Old 11-19-2008, 01:47 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,738,710 times
Ive quit about 10 times since I started smoking at 15. At one point I was up to almost 2 packs a day. Then I got bronchitis and I quit cold turkey for 2 years and I dont remember what got me started again but I did and was at about a pack a week for a few years until I quit again about 4 months ago. Since then I have had 2-3 and thankfully it wasnt a problem to just not have another one. I still get cravings. I still have little anxiety attacks (I have had them all my life and they only ever subside when I smoke) but Im doing ok. The mood swings and general eventually grumpyness subsided and I find the more I keep myself busy the easier it is to be without them. But on those long drives home late at night, nothing on the radio, bored, the cravings kick in BIG TIME and I have to fight with myself to keep from buying a pack. Ive even had to pull over and walk around the car and slap myself to get out of the crave zone at times.

Good luck bro. Its a hard road.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:16 PM

20,251 posts, read 19,828,912 times
After smoking for 25 years or so I had to quit BS'ing my self and just QUIT. Cold turkey. And I LOVED smoking.

My last cigarette was Dec 10, 1997.

You can do it if you really want to.

Hang in there.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:47 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,734,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Smoking, that is. I was wanting to do it for the past few months and when I paid 7.75 for my pack yesterday I said screw it and finished my last smoke at 11 PM last night.

So, today was my first day without a cigarette and I have never been so moody and irritable in my life. My attention span is that of a gnat and I have had been chewing a ton of gum and drinking a lot of coffee.

Any ex-smokers in here have words of wisdom on how you adjusted?
Good for you, HobokenGuy; it's not good for your health, it's expensive, and it really does stink.

I stopped smoking 11 months ago. I developed asthma and ended up in the hospital for five days, so it was easier to quit. Having asthma felt like drowning and I didn't want to waste the precious air in my lungs with smoke. I sometimes have a desire to smoke, but I desire air more.

I never gave up my coffee and I like being next to someone that's smoking. I have one very old pack of cigs sitting in the pantry. I'll never smoke them and don't know why I hold on to that pack. I guess I hold on to them to make me feel like my choice hasn't been taken away from me.

I did gain 15 pounds and that wasn't from eating. My doctor told me that was normal. It took awhile, but I did get rid of those extra pounds.

I've heard Chantix really works. Maybe you should try it for the cravings.

Good luck, HobenGuy.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:08 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,631,608 times
Good 4 you, HG!
Smoking is awful and I should know because I am still one of those idiots who still do it.
I quit for 5 years and what got me through it was my NordicTrack. I started again last December. I was under tremendous stress from trying to sell our house before hubby's job went bye bye.
When I look back on it now, I could have gotten through it but I chose not to.....bad decision on my part, obviously.

Shanny

Old 11-19-2008, 07:47 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,916,359 times
So how are you doing HG? Hanging in there? What is this day 2 or 3? Rough times but you can do it. Keep us updated!

Old 11-19-2008, 09:11 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,705,497 times
Day 2....

Cranky...

Craving...

Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 PM

315 posts, read 1,090,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Day 2....

Cranky...

Craving...
i can really empathize with what you're going thru. it is probably one of the hardest addictions to overcome so make sure you give yourself lots and lots of credit!

i quit 4 1/2 years ago and used a site called quitnet to help. it has discussion forums like this, sends you certificates when you reach certain milestones ( i use to print them out and hang them up like a kindergarten student, lol) and give great support from other people going thru the same thing as you.

practice deep breathing. taking a drag from a cigarette seems to calm us but it's really the deep breath we take. that is probably why the tissue in the straw worked for jbrown.

keep it up! you can do it! and you'll be amazed just what a slave to smoking you were. you'll have more time to do things cause you're not always running outside somewhere to smoke.

oh, and i made a vow to myself that i wouldn't be an obnoxious ex-smoker so i never give anyone else a hard time. i remember too well how it use to annoy me when someone did it to me!

GOOD LUCK!!!! YOU CAN, AND WILL DO IT!!!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:40 AM

86 posts, read 226,471 times
Ive tried and failed. I have heard that Wellbutrin is very helpful, if you are open to medications. It decreases the appetite swell that happens when one quits the cancer sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey