Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,682,577 times

Advertisements

I had the best deterrent EVER against smoking: watching my grandmother who was a pack and a half smoker dealing with a permanent colostomy after getting colon cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,367,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
I had the best deterrent EVER against smoking: watching my grandmother who was a pack and a half smoker dealing with a permanent colostomy after getting colon cancer.

Oh that would absolutely do it.

When I lived in New Jersey I remember waking up every day to that one advertisement, the hispanic guy who would talk using a voice box and would swab the hole in his throat. I distinctly remember the first time seeing that and almost screaming, "I DID NOT JUST SEE THAT!!!! HE'S GOT A HOLE IN HIS THROAT!!!!!" Then I saw it again and could barely stand to watch, literally curling up on the couch in a fetal-like position, looking between my fingers (kind of like how I watch those Saw movies ). The news had said that the ad was so successful that it generated something like 20 or 30 thousand additional calls to their hotline with people freaked out from the ad.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 6,571 times
Default I also quit smoking 9 years ago ...

Hi Hobokenguy,

I also smoked almost 1 pack a day 9 years ago. Every hour I had to go outside to smoke one cigarrette. One day I decided to quit, just like that with 19 cigarettes still in my Marboro pack. Never try to quit by saying, "I'll smoke my last one". It won't work.

Based on my personal experience, that feeling you're having will only bother you for 3 days. If you can go through those 3 days, you'll be fine. What left is only the habit which is much easier to deal with.

Remember the association between lung cancer and cigarettes is real. Think of the pain every breath you draw if you have it!!! Then you'll be more determined to quit.

The feeling of getting up in the morning without that mucus in your throat is great, isn't it?

Good luck,

HHJersey

Old 11-20-2008, 10:09 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,705,850 times
Such a supportive bunch! I hope you'll be behind me when I run for Gov. haha

Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 AM

563 posts, read 1,284,370 times
I don't mean to be gross, but how has it affected your " going #2" ?
When I first quit, I had such a hard time going and I gained quit some weight.
I agree with another poster:
Don't ever again have "just 1" it won't work, and soon you'll be back smoking again
good luck

Old 11-20-2008, 11:38 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,654,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
I don't mean to be gross, but how has it affected your " going #2" ?
(For eeeeeeeeeppp)

Droppin the kids off at the pool

Drop a deuce

Blow up the bathroom

Make some hot chocolate

pop a squat

Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 PM

LOL. What a question. No, it hasn't affected me in the least. I eat enough oat products per day to make a horse jealous.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:18 PM

563 posts, read 1,284,370 times
haha, I know, funny question, but let me tell you, that was a real issue for me

Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,509,736 times
Hoboken guy, what is this, day number 3? You're awesome!

Another tip: Be aware of your triggers. Driving, after eating, after WORKING OUT (my favorite). Get some chewing gum for those times.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Hoboken guy, what is this, day number 3? You're awesome!

Another tip: Be aware of your triggers. Driving, after eating, after WORKING OUT (my favorite). Get some chewing gum for those times.
Eclipse gum is getting me by. I worked out today and I felt my lungs improving. Savings so far...23.25
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey