Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:34 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you have a link to this story?
I read it a few weeks ago on nj.com, here it is
N.J. man gets 6 years in fatal road-rage crash | NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 08:12 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
I read it a few weeks ago on nj.com, here it is
N.J. man gets 6 years in fatal road-rage crash | NJ.com
did you see something with more information? that doesn't exactly fit with your version in the last post.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:18 AM

351 posts, read 481,890 times
As someone who unfortunately drives 80 miles/day, too many drivers do not respect the rules of the road. It perfectly states all along the highway "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS"

If someone is not passing and in the passing lane, tailgating may be a more gentle measure to have them move over. It is a lot less threatening than using the horn or flashing the high beams. When I have seen this strategy used, most drivers understand. The people who do not are unfortunately women or from NY (unfortunate because it strengthens stereotypes).

Old 01-25-2016, 08:20 AM

351 posts, read 481,890 times
Good article about brake checking,

https://jimcorleylaw.wordpress.com/2...jury-recovery/

Old 01-25-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
As someone who unfortunately drives 80 miles/day, too many drivers do not respect the rules of the road. It perfectly states all along the highway "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS"

If someone is not passing and in the passing lane, tailgating may be a more gentle measure to have them move over. It is a lot less threatening than using the horn or flashing the high beams. When I have seen this strategy used, most drivers understand. The people who do not are unfortunately women or from NY (unfortunate because it strengthens stereotypes).
i disagree. i think tailgating is more unsafe than honking the horn or flashing high beams.

if the person getting tailgated has to stop short for some reason, bam that's a collision and it is the fault of the tailgater. how would you know that it was a brake check and not a legitimate short stop?

Old 01-25-2016, 02:10 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
i disagree. i think tailgating is more unsafe than honking the horn or flashing high beams.

if the person getting tailgated has to stop short for some reason, bam that's a collision and it is the fault of the tailgater. how would you know that it was a brake check and not a legitimate short stop?
Please don't tell me that if you brake check somebody and get the back of your car smashed in that you are getting the last laugh.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:18 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
Quote:
did you see something with more information? that doesn't exactly fit with your version in the last post.
Saddle Brook man sentenced to 6 years in fatal road-rage crash - News - NorthJersey.com

Saddle Brook man found guilty of vehicular homicide in death of Teaneck woman - News - NorthJersey.com

Forewoman tells of jury's tough choices in Saddle Brook man's road-rage trial - Crime and Courts - NorthJersey.com

One person cut off the other person. They don't specify who cut off whom...but it doesn't really matter since BOTH parties then participated in a 80-100+ mph road rage pissing contest of tailgating and alternating getting in front of, and behind the other, for four miles, before Vanderweit brake-checked Emili in the middle lane of the GSP. Emili then tried to pass Vanderweit in the exit lane, losing control of his vehicle and killing his passenger. Emili is also being tried, separately, for vehicular homicide.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
One person cut off the other person. They don't specify who cut off whom...but it doesn't really matter since BOTH parties then participated in a 80-100+ mph road rage pissing contest of tailgating and alternating getting in front of, and behind the other, for four miles, before Vanderweit brake-checked Emili in the middle lane of the GSP. Emili then tried to pass Vanderweit in the exit lane, losing control of his vehicle and killing his passenger. Emili is also being tried, separately, for vehicular homicide.
I'm going to just go with your story and thank you for the cliffs notes. that situation is totally different than someone just brake checking someone. that is a whole ongoing interchange of various dangerous actions and back and forth bs.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Please don't tell me that if you brake check somebody and get the back of your car smashed in that you are getting the last laugh.
I'm not sure why you are implying that because I said nothing of the sort. I said it was the tailgaters fault, I said nothing about the person in front being happy with that result.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:34 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post

That's never right. One time when I was passing a few cars in the middle lane, the guy in the lead accelerated because he didn't want me to get in front of him. He was racing. I couldn't drop back because there was another guy on my bumper. I was stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey