U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:48 AM

1,363 posts, read 4,075,425 times
Default Anybody a newspaper carrier?

I was looking to get some thoughts about doing this as a part-time second job. What do you like about it? What don't you like? How much can be made? How many routes do you have? What do you do if you want to go on vacation or are sick? Just how hard is it to get up that early and function for the rest of the day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 12:30 PM

3,238 posts, read 5,683,323 times
My husband and I delivered the Trentonian for several years while I was home with the kids. We also had paper routes when we lived in Colorado and California. The route we had in NJ paid us about $800 a month, with a HUGE bonus at Christmas time. It was an apartment complex so it wasn't too hard on the car brakes. And boy, were we in shape from running up and down the stairs!

It wasn't hard getting through every day after getting up early, but it does get tiresome with the 7 days a week job. No matter the weather, how you feel, what you did the night before, or what you have planned for that day, you have to get up and do the papers. We would hire someone to do the papers for us on the one week we went on vacation every year.

All in all, I would say that job saved our house more than once. It really was an excellent way to supplement DH's salary. I would recommend it.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:02 PM

1,363 posts, read 4,075,425 times
Thanks. I have an aunt that has been doing it in this area for years, but I don't want to talk to her about it because she'll just harass me until I do it. LOL.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:52 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,090,518 times
I know someone who delivers the Courier-Post in the Somerdale area and although I can't remember exactly how much she made a month, I remember saying to myself...wow, not bad, not bad at all. I don't want to post a figure that I *think* she said.

She also said that she pays someone to do Sat and Sun for her because she has a full time business as well.

GL!

Shanny

Old 12-26-2008, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 21,672 times
I do 2 routes in MN. It was hard adjusting to the new hours at first but i got used to it in a month or two. The money on my routes is really good about $1000.00 every two weeks. I have about 400 Sunday Papers, 200 weekly, and a gas station I sell to. The only thing that really stinks is the 7 days a week....everyday......never a day off....not even Holiday's....in fact Holiday's are usually a huge paper and a bonus day where you have to deliver to all your Sunday people to even if it's not Sunday....And on Sarurday's we have to deliver a free coupon paper to every house we drive by on our route....x-tra money but huge hassle....all and all I like the route....except during snowstorms....and when the truck that brings the papers is several hours late....carriers don't get paid for sitting around waiting for there papers....If you need time off you better find your own sub or your supervisor will get really ticked off.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:22 AM

1 posts, read 20,313 times
Yes grew up on 22 paysonave audubon delivered the suburban news paper back in the day old fart here

Old 02-16-2010, 12:21 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,293,366 times
A lot of my family members do this, some even do this type of work full time by also working for companies that need other stuff delivered (like promo stuff to supermarkets etc.) They make relatively good money for work that doesn't involve a lot of thinking, but you do have to be in good physical condition especially for loading up. It's hard to say if you will be able to adjust to the hours, are you a morning person? Or do you hit snooze 75 times before getting out of bed?

As far as days off, take sometime to get to know other people doing the routes, they must all have a sub that will take a route for them. These people know the work and maybe looking for extra routes to pick up once in a while. My family members have been doing this for years and they never have a very hard time finding someone willing to do the route for them, you just pay that person what you would have made that day. Unemployed yet RELIABLE friends are also a good option You should do it!!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:13 PM

1,847 posts, read 4,196,470 times
I started in JH delivering the Citizen and Daily Journal. Did the Star Ledger in HS. For what amounts to about 12 hours a week (for me) it was good money. 2 of my Uncles did it to put their kids through school. If you dont mind getting up at the butt crack of dawn every day no matter what, if you have a car that can handle the load and your in good shape, I say go for it! If you get a good route with nice people, the tips can be great too.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:26 PM

3,311 posts, read 5,085,661 times
Question: How does this work in regards to hiring someone to do it for you?

If I had 2 roommates and the 3 of us got 1 paper route and divided up the days/weeks, and just put that $$$ towards rent, it would be very helpful...

Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,895,192 times
I had a Wall Street Journal route in Knoxville for a couple of years. That wasn't bad. No paper on Saturday and Sunday and no collecting. It was pretty well organized. I heard about the job through someone I knew, I don't know how you go about getting one otherwise.
Not sure when they publish/deliver up there. Here, they'd print them in North Carolina and truck them up. We'd get our bundles at 2 a.m. So it was more of a late night job than a morning job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey