U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2007, 08:39 PM

6 posts, read 25,519 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest a city in NJ that would be good for a young, professional, single, black woman? I'm somewhat of a foodie, a travel-enthusiast, and I love my coffee shops. I would like a young professional culture. I am willing to pay more in rent to live in a safe place.

Also, can you tell me if it's possible to commute to NYC everyday? I live right in the middle of San Francisco (which is only 7 square miles) and I work on the edge of the city. It STILL takes me an hour or more to get to work. So I wouldn't mind a commute of 1 hour or less. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 09:30 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,414,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city2city View Post
Can anyone suggest a city in NJ that would be good for a young, professional, single, black woman? I'm somewhat of a foodie, a travel-enthusiast, and I love my coffee shops. I would like a young professional culture. I am willing to pay more in rent to live in a safe place.

Also, can you tell me if it's possible to commute to NYC everyday? I live right in the middle of San Francisco (which is only 7 square miles) and I work on the edge of the city. It STILL takes me an hour or more to get to work. So I wouldn't mind a commute of 1 hour or less. Thanks.

If you live in San Fran-you would probably not find anything to your liking in NJ as it is mostly burbish. Brooklyn would be my vote. Check out craigslist-they have many forums where you can post to get info.

People commute from all over the tri-state area to nyc everyday. You will not want a car in the city no matter where you decide to live. It is too much of a hassle. NJ is mostly for suburban type living and the urban areas are nothing like what you have in San Fran.

Brooklyn has great neighborhoods that offer everything you are looking for. Some safe areas are parts of Ft Greene, Park Slope, Boerum Hill, Clinton Hill, Cobble Hill, Prospect Heights, and others. I have lived in several of these areas and they have much to offer a young black professional looking for culture.

Young professional culture is not what you will find in suburbia for the most part. It lacks culture in general. If you have to have a car-you might find yourself looking in NJ but you will be missing the bay area for sure.
Montclair, Hoboken, Ft Lee and to some extent Jersey City have a little of what you are looking for. In some of those locations you might find it o.k. to have a car. That is why I am bothering to mention them here. Again you would be taking transit to work if you work in NYC anywhere.

Since you will work in the city you many want to forget about bringing a car across country with you and get used to the subways. If you are young and single living an urban life in NY-a car will be a nuisance and an extra expense you don't need. San Fran is overrun with ex new yorkers so talk to as many as you can. Do as much research as possible as ny is very different than s.f. or anywhere in Cali for that matter.

Last edited by cyntmac; 02-24-2007 at 09:45 PM..

Old 02-26-2007, 06:52 AM

64 posts, read 271,999 times
This person has no idea what they are talking about Jersey City and Hoboken have exactally what you are looking for the path train which goes from different neighborhoods in that area and go 2 downtown new york and 33rd street in around 10 mins max check out sublet.com and look in jersey city try 2 get in the greenville area while you can

Old 02-26-2007, 07:08 AM

3,314 posts, read 12,262,609 times
Funny I thought she was asking about NJ as well. I agree with coolidge. Hoboken and Jersey City are what your looking for. There are plenty of shops and eateries in those two towns and as coolidge said NYC is a PATH train ride away. Good luck in your move

Old 02-26-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Funny I thought she was asking about NJ as well. I agree with coolidge. Hoboken and Jersey City are what your looking for. There are plenty of shops and eateries in those two towns and as coolidge said NYC is a PATH train ride away. Good luck in your move
This person will not find young professional culture similar to S.F. in Hoboken or J.C. Yes there are many young professionals. But believe me I have lived in all these places and coming from 3000 miles away-this poster is being mislead by posts that make it seem like these neighborhoods are one in the same. Hoboken would be the closet thing that she is looking for in NJ-but there is nothing else that comes close. She is a young black professional and Brooklyn is the place to be. Nothing else in the city area even comes close to what the offereings are for the neighborhoods that I listed. (culture,food,art,etc)She needs to come out and visit and see for herself. If she will have a car(which I do not recommend) I realize she may have to do NJ somewhere but she will not likely be happy coming from S.F. There are so many Nykr's in S.F.-all she has to do is ask someone and she will get a similar answer to the one I gave. I was steering her in the right direction. In the end she will do what she wants. These neighborhoods are not equal in the offerings and culture available though.

Coolidge-the Greenville area? I mean she is looking for a place with culture,food, etc. I have no prob with J.C. and I would live there again but this person did not say she was looking to buy. She will most likely be renting and coming from so far away-why steer her in that direction? She did not ask for an inexpensive area to buy in. She wants professional culture and is coming from S.F. which has incredible options. If she ends up staying in the area and decides to buy then some of those areas might come into play. But even then-coming from where she is-she is very spoiled with options as far as culture goes and Greenville is like outer Brooklyn but w/o the subway. In the places I mentioned she can walk outside her door and have everything she is looking for. She will not have to get on a train at all except for work. That is what she would be used to coming from where she is.

Last edited by cyntmac; 02-26-2007 at 08:41 AM..

Old 02-26-2007, 08:30 AM

3,314 posts, read 12,262,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
This person will not find young professional culture similar to S.F. in Hoboken or J.C. Yes there are many young professionals. But believe me I have lived in all these places and coming from 3000 miles away-this poster is being mislead by posts that make it seem like these neighborhoods are one in the same. Hoboken would be the closet thing that she is looking for in NJ-but there is nothing else that comes close. She is a young black professional and Brooklyn is the place to be. Nothing else in the city area even comes close to what the offereings are for the neighborhoods that I listed. (culture,food,art,etc)She needs to come out and visit and see for herself. If she will have a car(which I do not recommend) I realize she may have to do NJ somewhere but she will not likely be happy coming from S.F. There are so many Nykr's in S.F.-all she has to do is ask someone and she will get a similar answer to the one I gave. I was steering her in the right direction. In the end she will do what she wants. These neighborhoods are not equal in the offerings and culture available though.

Coolidge-the Greenville area? I mean she is looking for a place with culture,food, etc. I have no prob with J.C. and I would live there again but this person did not say she was looking to buy. She will most likely be renting and coming from so far away-why steer her in that direction? She did not ask for an inexpensive area to buy in. She wants professional culture and is coming from S.F. which has incredible options. If she ends up staying in the area and decides to buy then some of those areas might come into play. But even then-coming from where she is-she is very spoiled with options as far as culture goes and Greenville is like outer Brooklyn but w/o the subway. In the places I mentioned she can walk outside her door and have everything she is looking for. She will not have to get on a train at all. That is what she is used to in her neck of the woods.
I'm impressed that you have so much insight about a woman that you don't know and has made one post here on citi-data. She asked a question about living in New Jersey and I'm sure she'll get both informed and uniformed answers to that question as she would if asking about moving to NY. I'm sure that being a professional woman she will do her homework before making a 3,000 mile move and won't base it on what she reads in a forum!

Old 02-26-2007, 08:50 AM

Hopefully she will do the homework but she did give a lot of info in her short post. Young black professional woman willing to pay more rent for a safe area with culture,food, coffee shop vibe. The Cali to NY move is major culture shock for some and many things will be different. I am in a similar sort of situation(w/o the professional part as I am strictly a working stiff) and can read between the lines on this. My move was NJ/NY to Cali though. The opposite of hers.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:58 AM

29 posts, read 123,723 times
I agree with Cynt. Hobo and JC are nice but she sounds more like a Buppie than a Yuppie, and as a SBF, depending on what she's looking for Hobo is great but if she wants to find SBM, Hobo, JC are lacking...coming from Cali-SF, Brooklyn is a great place, the Heights, Cobble Hill...Montclair is good as well as Bloomfield but again, its not the city and there's a reason why she mentioned her ethnicity. She hopefully will check out all these areas and talk to the people, walk around the neighborhoods and visit stores. Good luck!!

Old 03-21-2007, 02:02 PM

10 posts, read 34,631 times
I'm a SBF, i live in JC, there is alot here, especially when you wanna get out of NYC.

My commute is great! I love finding my way around JC, i've live here for 2 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or