Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:36 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,913,105 times

Advertisements

TERRIBLE what is happening there!

I know we have a large Indian Community in NJ and many posters have mentioned they are of Indian heritage... my hopes & prayers that your family members in India are safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 05:56 PM

11,289 posts, read 16,564,446 times
Yes it is terrible, but what happened to the love and respect that Obama was going to bring to the world?

Besides they targeted Americans and Britons.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:03 PM

MPB... you can't seriously blame this one on Obama... you need another target.

It's still unfolding, so details are sketchy. India is no stranger to terrorism.

Recent reports indicate a womens/children's hospital was also under seige...that's not exactly a typical tourist destination.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:07 PM

531 posts, read 2,144,698 times
I have some family in Mumbai, not a lot. They are all ok.

This keeps happening in India because India, unlike America, never really hits back in a meaningful way after being attacked. You'll see a lot of commentary in the media, hear a lot of loud denunciations from loudmouth politicians, and maybe some local politician somewhere will organize a riot and kill a bunch of people who had nothing to do with it. But no one will actually do what it takes to truly address the issue. This is what separates the United States from India. India is big on theatrics and symbolism. America blows actual terrorists up and sometimes waterboards them. Guess who the mujahideen are more scared of?

Old 11-26-2008, 06:13 PM

Hasn't most of the terrorism in India been related to Indian/Pakistani relations?

Old 11-26-2008, 06:16 PM

531 posts, read 2,144,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Hasn't most of the terrorism in India been related to Indian/Pakistani relations?
Pakistan enables/facilitates it. But most of the foot soldiers of the mujahideen in India are Indians. Pakistan inspires them, trains them, arms them. But they are mostly from India; they are an Indian problem. Pointing to Pakistan (and to a lesser extent, Bangladesh) has historically been part of the diversionary tactics of the Indian media and government.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:32 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,336,481 times
There is also a Big Threat on the NYC subway system. Just heard it on Fox.

Diane

Last edited by Diane Giam; 11-26-2008 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-26-2008, 07:01 PM

I saw that online as well.
Very sad.

syncmaster - glad to hear that your family is ok and thank you for the insight.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:23 PM

65 posts, read 282,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
Pakistan enables/facilitates it. But most of the foot soldiers of the mujahideen in India are Indians. Pakistan inspires them, trains them, arms them. But they are mostly from India; they are an Indian problem. Pointing to Pakistan (and to a lesser extent, Bangladesh) has historically been part of the diversionary tactics of the Indian media and government.
Dont comment and mislead people on the forum when you have little or no idea. Most of the terrorists are trained across the border and some of them are home grown, misguided muslim youths. A lot of Indian muslims are not a part of this at all. The crux of terrorism in India is centered on kashmir. Not all of it is diversionary tactics. It is fact. The recent blasts in Jaipur, Gujarat, Delhi, Assam only confirm the hand of Pakistan behind all the recent attacks.

I have family and friends in Mumbai, both Indians and Americans. They are all fine. Both Indians and westerners were targetted. People are shocked. Last year I was in Mumbai and stayed at one of the two hotels where people, both Indians and foreigners, are still being held hostage. It is unfortunate that terrorism is gaining ground when the country has started to do so well economically.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:43 PM

Troy1 - thanks for the post.
Actually, my DH is very into world affairs and has a lot of knowledge about the history of terrorism in India. Unfortunatly, he's at work, so I can not pick his brain right now. I will do so when he comes home. I have followed more in the past, but not with my schedule as of late.

I was thinking the same thing about economic ramifications. You have to wonder if that is the very reason the terrorists are picking up the level in India now.

I am glad to hear another board member's family is well. I remember all too well the horror we felt here when 9/11 was fresh, I understand how scared the people of Mumbai are today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey