Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:09 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times

Advertisements

what a difference a year makes. I remember so clearly that we were in our little cabin in the woods, snow was already falling, the temp was 20 degrees and the weather forcast said snow all week. My husband turned into the guy in the movie the shining and I had enough of the sad , long face! I also remember Joshy my favorite cat getting hit by a car and dying one year ago today. When we lost Joshy there was nothing left, we both were forced to look at the mistakes we made and we decided to move back to NJ, all this one year ago today.

I can say in my heart we got it right the second time around!! Moving alittle West made such a difference in our lives. We were fed up in Hillsdale, we were tired of fixing the old wreck, and the high taxes so we jumped to escape into a world of total non reality in the Adirondacks. At first it seemed like a great idea, then WINTER hit, the honeymoon phase of moving wore off and I should have listened to my father. NOONE moves to the end of the earth in the middle of the woods and escapes life at a young age who is not poor or loves to ski! We were neither of those. This area in the Adirondacks were my little log cabin is like forced weightloss camp or rehab!! Its in the middle of nowhere and not the most exciting place on earth. The sun hangs low in the winter due to being so North and the winter depression sets in, along with loading wood, snow shoveling, and splitting wood. Who ever said its easier in the country has got to be crazy. We busted our asses in the country with all that could go wrong. Too unprepared idiots got a good lesson living in the woods. I think back now and still say what the hell were we thinking. Its not like we were hippies on acid looking to run away and follow Jerry and the dead!!!

So I am still thrilled with NJ!! I am going for a hike today, then drive around my little love affair area in Peapack and then thank the Lord I am HOME!!! Some people never are able to fix their mistakes. I can't image what would have come of us if that was the case. NJ is still GREAT and the thrill has not wore off for me!!!!

For anyone disillusioned with NJ, try moving alittle West or South, in NJ instead of a great big leap , it worked for me the second time around, and this was all ONE YEAR AGO TODAY. I love you people at the NJ forum, you are my shrinks, counselors, lawyers, friends and mommy. When I need to spring out a few ideas you all listen and I thank you for a WONDERFUL YEAR BACK HOME!!!!

Last edited by stevemorse; 11-29-2008 at 04:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 05:02 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Marilyn,
I'm glad you are happy since you moved back to NJ. We are very happy upstate (just south of the Adirondacks: moved a year ago). People are friendly and helpful. No snow as yet. I agree you are too young to end up in the woods, plus I think you moved too far north, too much away from everything and too isolated for an outgoing person like you.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Marilyn,
I'm glad you are happy since you moved back to NJ. We are very happy upstate (just south of the Adirondacks: moved a year ago). People are friendly and helpful. No snow as yet. I agree you are too young to end up in the woods, plus I think you moved too far north, too much away from everything and too isolated for an outgoing person like you.
I know you remember my crazy story. We were so enchanted at first, and its funny because it was a vacation cabin so we thought ohh we love it for weekends, so lets do it full time!! You and I had a lot of conversations , however you are right it was way too far north and out of the loop of any action. I mean there is only so much to do in Lake Placid if you don't ski!! I wonder if we picked your area like Glenn Falls or Queensbury would we have been happier. If just we were so fed up in Bergen County that any escape seemed better. It really was an experience that stays with you and living in the woods forces you to think about your life or crack up. We chose to crack up. Many people take on a hobby that they always wanted to do. I knew some people up there who started buildiing beautiful Adirondack furniture, and others who found hobbies. We could not hack it. There is 150 miles of nothing but woods from my cabin until ALbany!!! East is a huge lake, north is Canada, and West is WOODS!!! So the options are kinda limited. Summers are great, until you experience the weighloss camp effect you have no good food. Cooking is a passion of mine and I could not find any exotic or quality ingredients.

You know I am outgoing, I did not consider that either.

I am thrilled you are happy. I remember your saga trying to sell and you have adjusted very well. However your not in the poorest county in NYS! The Adirondacks for those who live there year round (not the rich vacationers) are some of the poorest people in the country. I did not know that !!! Its an oasis of non reality!! Thats the way I describe the ADKS!

Your area is wonderful! I have been all over and you picked a good spot. Now what are you doing to keep busy. How is retirement? Is it everything your dreamed. What hobbies have your or wife took up? Do you miss NJ at all?

I really landed it all in Western NJ, I could have all my choices and good things but the woods and lower taxes!! I have found alot of areas of NJ that we like. We used to hate everything in Bergen COunty. We only saw, Bergen, Hudson, Union, Essex and did not see past that. Now I find myself dreaming of all new places in Upper SOmerset, Morris, and Hunderton counties. I have new dreams and goals. I never thought I was a spoiled brat until I moved out of NJ!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Marilyn,
by the way you have it all too!! You have the woods and lakes just a few miles away, and the culture and good food right in your backdoor! So this was a good choice. When the renter leave my cabin I am going to lock you up there in December for a month and you can give me your insight

You want to hear something funny, the two renters I have are from Long Island, she has to be there to finish her degree in SUNY Plattsburgh, that is the only SUNY that has her degree. She is a little older and now finally has grown up so Daddy promised to pay rent if she finished degree. She has 2 years left. Now at first they loved the place when they moved in that was August. Now when I talk to them I can see the crack up coming!!! I see the Winter depression setting in, the only difference is they are younger so they can adjust easier or smoke pot which I could not do!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 05:59 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Now when I talk to them I can see the crack up coming!!! I see the Winter depression setting in, the only difference is they are younger so they can adjust easier or smoke pot which I could not do!!!

But lack of food will make that a less desirable choice! Too many munchies, too little food, what is one to do!!

Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
INteresting post because I too am so fed up with living in Hudson COunty. I feel like I'm suffocating. Every time I walk out the door I hate everything and everyone, but I don't know where to go. I"ve thought about living in a woods setting or somewhere more ruarl, but don't know how I would fare either. I've withdrawn from friends and just want to be left alone. The constant congestion of people, traffic, and everything else make me crazy. I want to be in a place where parking isn't a sport. I"ve thought about different areas in NJ, PA, and even FL. I'm not sure how to make a decision. I'd have to make sure I can work out there and be able to afford the cost of living. I hope I too can find somewhere to be happy, even if it is still here in NJ.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:27 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Don't do FL. Just as crazy as here. Go to south NJ. A little different but still with conveniences from what I'm reading here.

I've lived in 4 different states and NJ is the best by far. Remember, it's much easier to adapt to a faster pace than it is a slower one. Just frustrates you every time you leave the house, or make a phone call to try and get things done.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
INteresting post because I too am so fed up with living in Hudson COunty. I feel like I'm suffocating. Every time I walk out the door I hate everything and everyone, but I don't know where to go. I"ve thought about living in a woods setting or somewhere more ruarl, but don't know how I would fare either. I've withdrawn from friends and just want to be left alone. The constant congestion of people, traffic, and everything else make me crazy. I want to be in a place where parking isn't a sport. I"ve thought about different areas in NJ, PA, and even FL. I'm not sure how to make a decision. I'd have to make sure I can work out there and be able to afford the cost of living. I hope I too can find somewhere to be happy, even if it is still here in NJ.
Raven: We moved away from NJ because of congestion, traffic, high costs, inept government, etc. We lived there for many years but it has changed considerably. There was nothing tying us to that area anymore. Wherever you choose to move, you should prioritize that the area has things that will interest you and keep you busy and of course, a job. We are in a rural area, but 10 miles to Saratoga Springs, so we have the best of both worlds. There are new homes that start at $250K.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Your area is wonderful! I have been all over and you picked a good spot. Now what are you doing to keep busy. How is retirement? Is it everything your dreamed. What hobbies have your or wife took up? Do you miss NJ at all?
We sold Morris County house in 4 months. We absolutely love being retired. We have a golden retriever puppy, had a family room added to the house, built a 20x22 ft. workshop, which we are in the process of finishing the interior. We spent July, August & September repairing the grass from construction vehicles, re-installing a fence (50 posts), training the puppy, riding the Harley, getting to know the area, having sleepovers with the grandchildren, and trying out the restaurants in Saratoga. We have great neighbors who helped with the fence, let us use their inground pool, and have become great friends. We plan on taking a few trips to break up the winter, but we are looking forward to some snow. We plan on getting involved in the community doing some volunteering, I have a list of woodworking projects to do once the workshop is complete, continue working on genealogy (1400+ already), and catch up on reading a few books.
The only thing we miss in NJ is Costco! We visit every few months for medical condition and have found we can't wait to get away from the traffic and congestion. We have made more friends in less than a year up here than we made in Morris County in 11 years.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
But lack of food will make that a less desirable choice! Too many munchies, too little food, what is one to do!!
ohh there is food there cup cakes, ho ho's and mcdonalds but not for a cook who is used to high end ingredients! That is a hobby of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey