Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:43 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times

Advertisements

I'm sick as a dog. My nose is so plugged up. No matter how many tissues I use, no use.

I'm coughing like crazy and I have a low fever (I don't know the actual temp since I don't have a thermometer but hubby felt my head and said I was warm.)

I took Tylenol and I am sure it attacked any kind of fever I had. I have been taking Robitussin DM and it sorta helps. Any ideas?

Shanny (I can't smell or taste anything as my status says)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 07:47 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
I'm sick as a dog. My nose is so plugged up. No matter how many tissues I use, no use.

I'm coughing like crazy and I have a low fever (I don't know the actual temp since I don't have a thermometer but hubby felt my head and said I was warm.)

I took Tylenol and I am sure it attacked any kind of fever I had. I have been taking Robitussin DM and it sorta helps. Any ideas?

Shanny (I can't smell or taste anything as my status says)
Yes - Go to the doctor and see if a Anti-Biotic and a stronger cough medicine with codeine (I did this as well) could be prescribed.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:04 AM

607 posts, read 1,333,758 times
I drink tons of hot water with lemon juice in it. Seems to clear up the sinuses somewhat, plus keeps you hydrated.
My dad heats up apple cider vinegar and grape juice then adds honey to that. It tasted wicked but might have helped...

Hope you're feeling better soon, shannybananny!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:09 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
shanny, i'm sorry. i don't guarantee this, but people swear by putting vicks on the soles of your FEET. yes. my friend recently did this and it helped. i don't think it's been scientifically proven, but what do you have to lose?

do you have a humidifier? feel better soon!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:48 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
OK. This is tried by me on my daughter. I've been using it for 2 weeks and it has been working great for her. She tends to start coughing at night before she gets sick. It is so bad that I have to use a nebulizer. 2 weeks ago it started again and after 2 nights of the nebulizer I started searching for a better way. The answer came in a research study about the effects of pure honey vs. the active ingredient in cough medicine.

So I bought the little Golden Blossom bear. 2 teaspoons at bedtime and she was sleeping through the night. I backed it down to 1 tsp and if she wakes up during the night I give her another one. But it is working like a charm...now she did get a cold which turned into a sinus infection but the Pediatrician was amazed because this is the first time it didn't turn into bronchitis.

CAUTION: Anyone using this, DO NOT give honey to children under 1 year old!!!

Of course this will only help with your cough but it's worth a try.

Feel better!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:19 AM

50 posts, read 191,010 times
Mix some brandy with honey and drink a little every few hours.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:23 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,345,400 times
Honey,whiskey and lemon! works like a charm--my mom and grandmother had that recipe in the family and seemed to work.
We are all sick here too Shanny!! I think I am allergic to South Jersey though lol (just my section!)

Feel better.

Boil some Vicks in a pan too and breathe it in. It helps my plugged up nose too!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:27 AM

445 posts, read 1,983,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Yes - Go to the doctor and see if a Anti-Biotic and a stronger cough medicine with codeine (I did this as well) could be prescribed.

Antibiotics dont help with colds or the flu because they are viruses. Antibiotics are only going to weaken your immune system, having the cold stick around for a longer period of time. I saw an interesting article about colds. Not sure if i am able to post the link. I'll post it. If it gets deleted, so be it i guess. Feel better

What Most Doctors Won't Tell You About Colds and Flus

Old 11-30-2008, 11:15 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
Honey and garlic is like natures anti-biotic.

Another thing that helped me recently - I got mustard powder and soaked my feet in it for a while.

This really helped (I have a friend who is into homeopathic medicines, so I do that in addition to the traditional medicine stuff...)

Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
Antibiotics dont help with colds or the flu because they are viruses. Antibiotics are only going to weaken your immune system, having the cold stick around for a longer period of time. I saw an interesting article about colds. Not sure if i am able to post the link. I'll post it. If it gets deleted, so be it i guess. Feel better

What Most Doctors Won't Tell You About Colds and Flus
Yes I heard and read about antibiotics and my doctor did prescribe some for me, he said that for the cough symptoms it would help.

My doctor also prescribed me a good cough medicine (Tusso-C syrup which has codeine) for the same symptoms coupled with the antibiotics I was better in a few days. This is after having a room humidifier, taking in lots of fluids, soups and the like, taking Advil and going through about 15oz. of Robitussin DM like taking in water and didn't do a thing to calm that cough that I had for 2 1/2 weeks. I didn't get any sleep and was actually here reading the C-D posts.

I hope Shanny gets better quite soon - I don't like anyone especially any of my friends being sick and suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey