Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:36 AM

5,617 posts, read 15,471,156 times

Advertisements

years ago I would stop and get lunch at Alexis on Valley Road in Clifton for a quick good lunch. Prices were good and to be honest the steak was not too bad for the money. It was a nice little casual place. Well we recently just went for lunch and lets just say the treatment we got was unbelievable.

First off they used to give you these nice little hot peppers. Now they dont , you to ask for them. There were very few lights on and no heat! This should have been a warning.

So we order two NY strip type steaks medium rare, and one rare. Well they came out overdone. Now I am not talking one shade but gray inside so it was like well done! So I am paying 20 buck each so a total of 40 bucks which is not like Rutts hutt at 2..95 so I decide to speak up and show the waitress these are not rare nor medium rare. SHe agrees. However they have to get rid of them and start new. Here is the kicker of the whole story. First let me just say that this was still a pretty good steak, if it was rare or medium rare it would have really been damn good!! It had good flavor and a nice marbleing to it.

She comes out with two new steaks and OBVIOUSLY they are not the same cuts of meat. It was like the worst Pathmark steak and obviously they have a second string of bad steaks for this purpose thinking people are stupid and wont know. I take the first bit and spit it out. Husband does the same and I grad the waitress and say this is not the same its terrible. I cant even eat it. She knows the gig is on and at this point I am pretty mad that they would pull this stunt. I mean they made the first mistake why should I suffer. SO I tell her I am not paying for this and it gets taken off the bill and we leave. But I mean this is such poor business. I mean you overcook the first steak and I get the second crappy cut because you messed up? Ohh well !!! Not too good business practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:00 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,410,246 times
when I lived in Clifton I visited Alexis quite a few time, the atmosphere was pleasant and the food was good, not great, but good for the $$. But eventually as w/ many restaurants, the quality & service kept going down, the last time I went in I was so dissapointed w/ the service that I never returned.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
when I lived in Clifton I visited Alexis quite a few time, the atmosphere was pleasant and the food was good, not great, but good for the $$. But eventually as w/ many restaurants, the quality & service kept going down, the last time I went in I was so dissapointed w/ the service that I never returned.
the point is they have a whole slew of crappy meat when they overcook your steak!! I mean what a shame to do that!!! This is a crappy business policy however they just dont give a damn, they figure the next sucker will come in so if I lose one or two who cares give them the pathmark worst cut since they did not like the first one!! It became my mistake, that they overcooked alot the first one. Pathetic.

Worst part is they wasted and cooked a total of 4 steaks and I refused to pay for either of them. In the end they lost.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:11 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,436,074 times
I remember when Alexus opened, I believe in 1992, when I was a student at Montclair State. When they opened, they absolutely rocked. The food was very good, and so were the prices. (I think the 24 oz. steak was $9.95 at the time.) Plus, it was a great place to hang out with friends after a hard day at school.

They had a location in Hawthorne as well for several years, and it was a beautiful place, but in a very strange location. Over the past several years, I went to the Hawthorne location more, because it was closer to my home. But I've noticed the same thing over the years: prices went up (I think the steaks are $21.95 now), and food quality went down. The Hawthorne location closed about two years ago.

It's disappointing to witness the downfall of this restaurant, because Alexus was a great place (in both locations) in its heyday. They may be able to stick around because of the Montclair State crowd, but I so wish they'd improve so that today's students can experience the great food and times like I had there.

BTW, on a related side not, is Arthur's Tavern in Emerson still open? I heard they were closing in that location.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I remember when Alexus opened, I believe in 1992, when I was a student at Montclair State. When they opened, they absolutely rocked. The food was very good, and so were the prices. (I think the 24 oz. steak was $9.95 at the time.) Plus, it was a great place to hang out with friends after a hard day at school.

They had a location in Hawthorne as well for several years, and it was a beautiful place, but in a very strange location. Over the past several years, I went to the Hawthorne location more, because it was closer to my home. But I've noticed the same thing over the years: prices went up (I think the steaks are $21.95 now), and food quality went down. The Hawthorne location closed about two years ago.

It's disappointing to witness the downfall of this restaurant, because Alexus was a great place (in both locations) in its heyday. They may be able to stick around because of the Montclair State crowd, but I so wish they'd improve so that today's students can experience the great food and times like I had there.

BTW, on a related side not, is Arthur's Tavern in Emerson still open? I heard they were closing in that location.

I agree and to be honest the steak would have also rocked if they did not cook it two the overdone state it was in, then gave the second string. It was a good place, it was such a joke.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:19 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,915,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post

Agree with this on every level!

Arthurs has a sign saying "closed for renovation" that's all I know.

I think Arthur's is also overrated.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post

Arthur's in Emerson is terrible!!! But worse is that Emerson Hotel, boy I hear the best sliced steak on Earth, yeah right, disgusting and what a hole. Quality has gone down the drain!!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post

my dear you certainly from reading alot of your posts are like me you do get around!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,943,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Arthur's in Emerson is terrible!!! But worse is that Emerson Hotel, boy I hear the best sliced steak on Earth, yeah right, disgusting and what a hole. Quality has gone down the drain!!

You need to loosen up and say what's really on your mind !!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:31 PM

1,972 posts, read 5,410,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You need to loosen up and say what's really on your mind !!
I guess you haven't seen/listened to the circus music playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey