Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,951 times

Advertisements

Hi! Pleased to have found you. I hope I can get some legal advice here. I can't afford a lawyer.
I've lived in a multi-family unit since 2005in the wonderful county of Hudson.

A lease was given to me but never signed and no one ever asked for it The superintendant at the time told me I could have a dog but not to write it down. They would charge me.
Others in the building have a dog. After an incident with the renting agent (it was over a rentor entering my apt., long story) on Nov. 1, "I was told, your lease states you are NOT allowed a dog, keep your mouth shut. We charge $35 for the super to let you in your apartment if you/ve left the keys inside" I said, I never heard of such a thing and I was told to read my lease. I asked them if they have a signed lease from me . It was determined the leasing office does not have a copy of my lease . They are not very astute.
I was told, "Now, U are on a month to month.....we can force U to get rid of your dog. Just keep your mouth shut"
Everyone in the building has a lease.
There is a registerd letter waiting for me. They did not sent a letter regular mail which is customary.
I believe it is a lease to sign. I am petrified.

A) can they force me to sign a lease NOW after so many years. I am i the process of getting help from the City. This building accepts City assistance but I am afraid they are trying to play games here. If they are I don't want to be locked into a lease.

B) can they force me to sign a lease that says "no dogs" even though there are other dogs in the building whose owners moved in after I have

C) I am a disabled widow with a 15 year old dog. I am not capable of starting over again. Any suggestions. I've seen and heard some of the horror stories that this rental company (real estate) have done to people. I know I will never get my security back etc. furthermore I DON"T and CAN"T move, physically.
ADA is of no help. Please, is there a lawyer out there that is willing to give me some advice.
I don't need for anyone to tell me to sign for the registered letter, I already know that option LOL. I would like to know what protection is out there for me. This entire situation has me bedridden. Thanks
Cee

DESPERATE AND FRIGHTENED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:27 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cphutt View Post
Hi! Pleased to have found you. I hope I can get some legal advice here. I can't afford a lawyer.
I've lived in a multi-family unit since 2005in the wonderful county of Hudson.

A lease was given to me but never signed and no one ever asked for it The superintendant at the time told me I could have a dog but not to write it down. They would charge me.
Others in the building have a dog. After an incident with the renting agent (it was over a rentor entering my apt., long story) on Nov. 1, "I was told, your lease states you are NOT allowed a dog, keep your mouth shut. We charge $35 for the super to let you in your apartment if you/ve left the keys inside" I said, I never heard of such a thing and I was told to read my lease. I asked them if they have a signed lease from me . It was determined the leasing office does not have a copy of my lease . They are not very astute.
I was told, "Now, U are on a month to month.....we can force U to get rid of your dog. Just keep your mouth shut"
Everyone in the building has a lease.
There is a registerd letter waiting for me. They did not sent a letter regular mail which is customary.
I believe it is a lease to sign. I am petrified.

A) can they force me to sign a lease NOW after so many years. I am i the process of getting help from the City. This building accepts City assistance but I am afraid they are trying to play games here. If they are I don't want to be locked into a lease.

B) can they force me to sign a lease that says "no dogs" even though there are other dogs in the building whose owners moved in after I have

C) I am a disabled widow with a 15 year old dog. I am not capable of starting over again. Any suggestions. I've seen and heard some of the horror stories that this rental company (real estate) have done to people. I know I will never get my security back etc. furthermore I DON"T and CAN"T move, physically.
ADA is of no help. Please, is there a lawyer out there that is willing to give me some advice.
I don't need for anyone to tell me to sign for the registered letter, I already know that option LOL. I would like to know what protection is out there for me. This entire situation has me bedridden. Thanks
Cee

DESPERATE AND FRIGHTENED
Frightened of and in need of protection from what, exactly?
It sounds to me like you found a way to put one over on your landlord for a number of years. Possibly with the tacit approval of the super. So be it. And when the fact that you had never signed a lease was able to be used in your favor, you used it. Again, so be it, and good for you. And so what if tenants with dogs moved in after you did. They are protected by their leases, most likely, where they agreed to an extra payment or additional security deposit. Now, you believe they are asking you to sign the lease. Probably because they ask all tenants to sign a lease. Smart move on their part. Ignoring it will do you no good. So, open the letter, see what it is, and do what you need to accordingly. Based on the info you've given, I'd say it is probably a lease agreement, in which they explain the rules & costs of having a dog. But you'll never know until you read their letter. IF you don't like the lease they propose, negotiate something better. If you can't negotiate terms that are acceptable to you, then don't sign it, tell them you aren't signing it, and continue according to whatever their month to month policy is. Be subject to the same conditions to which all month to month, leaseless tenants are subject.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:03 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,723 times
+1 for Mr Keegan.

Regrettably, without a signed lease, the only rights you have are those granted by the housing authority which means, you have very few rights. As long as your landlord abides by the city/state rules in regards to notifying you about vacating the apartment there is very little you can do about it other than try to work it out with them before it gets to that point. If that means giving up the dog, so be it. If that means paying more to keep the dog, so be it. Your on the loosing end of this battle so you are most likely going to have to give "something" up if they want to make it difficult for you.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:13 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Agree with the above replies. The best advice, though, was probably the earlier "keep your mouth shut". It seems like you had the deal that you wanted and pushed them into (probably) sending you a lease.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:19 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Where is the original lease that you never handed in? Do you still have it? Not that it matters but I'm wondering if you can say you have the copy of the lease and ask why they don't type thing.

either way, you'll either have to sign one or not, agree with what the others have said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: