U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 PM

393 posts, read 705,256 times

Advertisements

Hello All!
My "Quick Reputation" has eluded me, BUT, tonight's sky is so cool.
December in NJ, and it's night sky is wonderful!
There is a local observatory, that we frequent, every Friday night, I love it.
Don't yet understand the stellar constellations, but am in awe.
Have viewed Orion, and The Huntress, and, have awakened child, at midnight to view it with me.
For all of those, in the less inhabited NJ areas, please look to the night skies, views are, indescribable.

In this giant orb "We" are, just drifting through the solar system.

Love you,
Sligo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,149,825 times
This wasn't taken in New Jersey, but it will give you a sense of the majesty of what is out there.

BTW, if the young'uns on this board remember in 46 years during the last few days of November 2054, there will be a celestial sight. Venus and Jupiter will be between 8 and 2 degrees of each other in the Southwestern twilight sky as can be seen in the picture below taken this weekend. The brighter of the two is Jupiter.

Enjoy!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 AM

5,044 posts, read 4,451,387 times
We watched last night and it was really a sight. Thankfully, we looked when we did because about 60 seconds later, the big clouds came and covered the sky for the rest of the night.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 AM

402 posts, read 269,198 times
As usual whenever something something truly interesting is to be seen in the night sky, it gets cloudy where I live!!!! So I didnt get to see Venus and Jupiter.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:39 AM

566 posts, read 1,068,420 times
I always look to the skies. Tonight however was spectacular.

A night like last night, and I don't mind walking the dog.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 AM
EB2

1,919 posts, read 3,881,874 times
Last night was amazingly beautiful

Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,942,832 times
Look to Sky for Spectacular Sight MondayBy Joe Rao, Space.com

(Nov. 29) - Every once in a while, something will appear in the night sky that will attract the attention of even those who normally don't bother looking up. It's likely to be that way on Monday evening, Dec. 1.

A slender crescent moon, just 15-percent illuminated, will appear in very close proximity to the two brightest planets in our sky, Venus and Jupiter.

This winter, Venus is the unrivaled evening star that will soar from excellent to magnificent prominence in the southwest at nightfall. The interval by which it follows the Sun will increase from nearly three hours on Dec. 1 to almost four hours by Jan. 1. It's probably the first "star" you'll see coming out after sunset. In fact, if the air is very clear and the sky a good, deep blue, try looking for Venus shortly before sunset.

Jupiter starts December just above Venus and is moving in the opposite direction, dropping progressively lower each evening. By month's end Jupiter meets up with another planet Mercury but by then Jupiter is also descending deep into the glow of sunset. In January, Jupiter will be too close to the Sun to see; it's in conjunction with the Sun on Jan. 24.
Also on Monday evening, you may be able to see the full globe of the moon, its darkened portion glowing with a bluish-gray hue interposed between the sunlit crescent and not much darker sky. This vision is sometimes called "the old moon in the young moon's arms." Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519) was the first to recognize it as what we now call "earthshine."

Old 12-02-2008, 06:08 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,213,349 times
THanks so much for posting this. As I was driving home I saw the crescent moon and was wondering what those 2 bright stars were next to it. I'd never seen anything like it.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:13 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,678,307 times
Out there again tonight.

Hope to be around in 2054...I'll only be 100...LOL

Old 12-02-2008, 09:05 PM

5,343 posts, read 9,239,477 times
We saw it as well, quite great to see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey