Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:39 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I'm a bit computer challenged and don't understand why a hacker's address couldn't be traced.

Although my network is password protected, I don't think anyone would want to hack into my "wireless dial up." (Even the MAC people didn't believe I use dial up with a wireless connection.)
It's not really a hacker - I'm on a mac too. You know how when you open up the wireless connection on your mac you can find open wireless connections? that's all that the potential hacker has to do. And then when they trace to an address, it's tracing to your IP address, because they are using your internet connection.

If you are are dial up - even wireless dial up - I don't think you have to worry (I have to admit though - I've never heard of wireless dial up...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 09:43 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
Thanks, monack.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Where I used to live I had major problems with my cable modem so I jumped on my neighbor's network all the time.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:40 AM

234 posts, read 537,061 times
Don't forget WarDriving. This is where hackers, teenagers, script-kiddies and simply people in cars, drive around searching for an open wireless connection. Use to be back in the day, hackers and gamers would mark a yellow X on the street, so others would know where the open network was. Now, they are using GPS technology to track it. WiGLE - Wireless Geographic Logging Engine - Plotting WiFi on Maps or StumbVerter. They even have methods to triangulate between Open WiFi and Cell phone towers to ensure the best signal strength while using your WiFi on their cell/pda.

Here's some things that you can do to REDUCE your risk. Nothing... and I mean NOTHING is ever 100% secure.

Change the default administrator id and password
DO NOT auto-connect to open networks
Turn on WPA/WEP encryption
Enable Mac Address filtering
Disable SSID broadcasting
Assign static ip addresses to devices
Enable firewalls on devices
Change your default SSID
Turn off your router when not in use for a while (like when you go on vacation)

Old 12-06-2008, 06:36 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
How did you find out that a neighbor was poaching your wifi signal ?
I noticed my connection was slower than usual, and checked the connection icon, they actually used their surname, so I confronted them

Old 12-09-2008, 11:25 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
I could have used my neighbors wireless signal for free if I wanted to (The Conrad Mt. Police Dept.) But I told them their signal was unsecured and the fixed that right away. I am content with dial up that I pay for. There may not be a law against poaching wifi in my state yet but it is illegal in some states, Florida comes to mind, but even if it's legal where you live it is dishonest in my opinion.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:34 AM

I, in fact, picked up a cell modem to avoid having this problem on my own. Often I am at clients who have no internet access for one reason or another - having my own on my person solves the problem of having to surf for an unsecured wifi in order to be able to do my day to day work.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:28 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
The simple way - WEP key and WPA aside - is to create an access control list. there should be an option somewhere that says "Allow / Deny" and what you want is to add your connected computer to the list, and set it to the "Allow" - denying all others.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:32 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcats70 View Post
Here's some things that you can do to REDUCE your risk. Nothing... and I mean NOTHING is ever 100% secure.
Not everyone who borrows a connection is a hacker, cracker, or looking to grab your data. Sometimes, people just need a quick network connection.

My wifi setup is completely open access. Anyone can connect, but the first time they do that session, they have to accept a statement on a web page before access is granted - basically saying I'm being friendly by leaving this out there, don't abuse it. I record MAC addresses, client info, etc, and will ban anyone abusing the connection. Otherwise, have fun.

My network is heartily secured, as all connections are routed through one of my linux boxes, which acts as an AP. I also have a network bridge, and another WAP I'm setting up outside (for laptop action on a cool summer day, in an easy chair - pfft like I'll ever have that kind of time).

No worries.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Not everyone who borrows a connection is a hacker, cracker, or looking to grab your data. Sometimes, people just need a quick network connection.

My wifi setup is completely open access. Anyone can connect, but the first time they do that session, they have to accept a statement on a web page before access is granted - basically saying I'm being friendly by leaving this out there, don't abuse it. I record MAC addresses, client info, etc, and will ban anyone abusing the connection. Otherwise, have fun.

My network is heartily secured, as all connections are routed through one of my linux boxes, which acts as an AP. I also have a network bridge, and another WAP I'm setting up outside (for laptop action on a cool summer day, in an easy chair - pfft like I'll ever have that kind of time).

No worries.
Now that is a really good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey