Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times

Advertisements

what about another part of FL?? a little further north?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM

119 posts, read 339,332 times
That is always an idea. I've just heard that places like Orlando are filled wth violence and a poor education system and everywhere else is small town living for what I understand. I can always research though. Besides the snow though I just miss the northen way of living.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:37 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,949 times
You might trying looking at Ocala.....my kids moved there 2 years ago and love it !!!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,293 times
Cool FL any day!!!

I have lived in Florida for the last 20 yrs or so...first in Gainesville, FL then in West Palm Beach, FL...I am now moving to NYC. I have two very young kids (4, 7) and I am really, really going to miss FL for the family friendliness of the schools....Yeah, yeah you guys may sneer, but I would give an arm and a leg to leave my kids in their present schools. And housing is really good - new constructions, single family homes, and rent is decent!! (I own my home). 10-15 mins to any school here by car.

Gainesville, FL was magical, and still is a great place. Since it is a small University town, it is diverse and there is fun to be had by all. Schools were very good. Housing was fantastic.

I now live in on the border with West Palm Beach and Wellington. Wellington is supposedly higher scale. But this area is so convenient. No long commutes...or you can drive easily. No trains, though....all driving (good or bad I dont know yet, because driving has been so easy) Shopping, groceries, etc. right next door.

In between is Jupiter, Fl another very, very decent place. Avoid Port St. Lucie....crime is higher. Very green, and calm!!

Of course, I would not choose to live south of Boca Raton....Boca is a fantastic, well controlled, low crime city. Then you hit Ft. Lauderdale and all goes to hell!!!! ;-). Not my favorite parts.

Crime happens. Orlando and JAX are definitely less than NYC, any day. And there is a lot more reporting about crime, because generally less is happening in other arenas. Yeah, dont laugh!! You can do a lot with your families. With single family housing you have very good interactions with neighbors....kids play on the driveways with neigbors kids etc. NYC can get very impersonal, from what i hear and read.

If you are single...maybe Fl can get slow. But after marriage and family life, the areas I lived are golden years!!!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:46 PM

88 posts, read 269,325 times
I lived in NJ for 15 years before moving down to South Florida in the Fort Lauderdale area. In my opinon suburban NJ blows Long Island and South Florida out of the water for raising kids in a safe enviroment. South Florida really does not emphasize education like they do in NJ and chances are your kids will have to go to a private school to recieve a great education. In NJ its different, unless you live in one of the inner city of the ghetto then chances are the school will range from average to superior. NJ and Long Island have a lot in common being part of the NY metro, having heavy taxes, Jewish and Italian populations, and being mostly higher income. At the end of the day I don't think it is practical to live and raise kids on an island but that's just me.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Guys

I know this is an old post but been doing some thinking lately

The housing market in FL is a disaster, even compared to NJ.

I think we could move to FL and buy a 3 year old house 2X the size of ours and 2X as efficient basically in cash.

We have family in FL and that makes for a huge plus.

I think our biggest concern is schools (while we don't have kids yet we'd like to). the private school here is 3X the cost of our NJ taxes alone per kid per year (where we'd be happy to send kids to public schools) which is not even a remote option.

Then... it's a little boring here since we are hikers, but there's always the beach. I'd have to buy a boat for sure, but that's not too expensive.

HMMMMM.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Guys

I know this is an old post but been doing some thinking lately

The housing market in FL is a disaster, even compared to NJ.

I think we could move to FL and buy a 3 year old house 2X the size of ours and 2X as efficient basically in cash.

We have family in FL and that makes for a huge plus.

I think our biggest concern is schools (while we don't have kids yet we'd like to). the private school here is 3X the cost of our NJ taxes alone per kid per year (where we'd be happy to send kids to public schools) which is not even a remote option.

Then... it's a little boring here since we are hikers, but there's always the beach. I'd have to buy a boat for sure, but that's not too expensive.

HMMMMM.
We considered FL once.... like you said the biggest problem is the schools (even the A rated ones are TERRIBLE). But - private schools are cheap in FL compared to NJ. Check some out you will be shocked at the difference. The things that killed the deal for us was house insurance cost (but we were looking right on the water) and the number of sex offenders living in every single neighborhood we searched. Good luck!

Old 04-13-2009, 12:01 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,438 times
You can live for much cheaper down there, but you also have to earn a living. If you can earn a living down there, it's the time to do it...

Old 04-13-2009, 12:31 PM

Yes although with no mortgage, it changes the income requirements a lot. I think we could be comfortable on 25K a year just my wife and I. Still just not really sure it is right for us. UKOK the private school here in the town where I have family is 18,000 a year!!!!!!

Last edited by joe moving; 04-13-2009 at 12:42 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,438 times
Before making this kind of decision - I would read around, especially posts from folks who are now trying to get back to the northeast because they are miserable in florida. There is a lot to be said about paying a premium to be near friends and family. I would also take some time down there, maybe if you can swing it, doing a short term rental and really living down there for at least a few weeks - not in a hotel, and not doing touristy things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey