Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:44 PM

181 posts, read 634,000 times

Advertisements

So, I have some work to do in the house and posted an advert on Craigslist.... So far I have had a man who wanted to modernise a fairly preserved brownstone (and I mean modernise i.e. strip!), who then used my toilet only to pee on the seat - yum! I've had a number of 10 yr olds who happen to have '25 yrs of experience' - yeah, right! A man whose daughter rang up demanding why I never answered my phone (good start..that he had been outside for 2 hours (despite my sitting by the 1st floor window) whose father then came round and told me he could only do half the work.

Why is it soo hard to get experienced, sane workers for a fair price??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 04:56 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,034,194 times
Craigslist = Caveat Emptor.

If I were looking for a contractor, I would start with the Better Business Bureau.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:22 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,630,651 times
Even better try Angie's List!

GL!
Shanny

Old 12-06-2008, 06:27 PM

5,816 posts, read 12,589,372 times
with the unemployment rate at a 35 year high it kinda sucks that you can't find a decent contractor.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:29 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,304,989 times
For the most part, the only contractors looking for work on craigslist are bottom-feeders, as you're finding out.

If you want the job done right, try talking to some friends, neighbors, etc., to see if anyone can refer you to a contractor they've worked with in the past.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:37 PM

My phone has been ringing off the hook!! But, yeah - your right, if you want the job done well.....

The thing is, I just cannot believe the audacity (AKA self confidence / denial) of some people! I just would not have the guts to put myself forward for a job that I couldn't do (nevermind right).

Old 12-06-2008, 06:50 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,876,549 times
NEVER use Craigslist. Use the Franklin Report. MUCH better.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:07 PM

Franklin Report - THANKS! I'm a first time homeowner and wow....

Old 12-06-2008, 09:27 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,561,189 times
Now that Im far from home and cant help Mom anymore she calls contractors from the church bullitan. Every church has a Sunday bullitan with ads on the backside.

I also agree with everyone that just about everything on Craigslist are scams.

Big problem is NJ dont have licensing for contractors so anyone with a pickup truck and a tool box can call themselves a contractor. And with the unemployment growing like a bean stalk there are a lot of people just looking to make some money being a handyman. Lots of people painted the walls in their home and think that qualifies them as a bonafied contractor.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:45 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,563,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Now that Im far from home and cant help Mom anymore she calls contractors from the church bullitan. Every church has a Sunday bullitan with ads on the backside.

I also agree with everyone that just about everything on Craigslist are scams.

Big problem is NJ dont have licensing for contractors so anyone with a pickup truck and a tool box can call themselves a contractor. And with the unemployment growing like a bean stalk there are a lot of people just looking to make some money being a handyman. Lots of people painted the walls in their home and think that qualifies them as a bonafied contractor.
They do now... as of 2 yrs ago they started requiring lic. for contractors. So make sure you ask your contractor if he/she is lic. and insured...and always ask for a cert. of ins.

New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs Professional Boards and Advisory Committees (http://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/consumeraffairs/search/searchentry.pl - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey