U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 AM

10,428 posts, read 27,712,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
No where near as bad as Elizabeth ,
But with that being said ,
as much as the prices have come down you can find the
same size home for the same price in Colonia (I love that section as much as i love my town)
Is that true now about Colonia? Colonia was always the more desirable place to live meaning higher prices.

Elizabeth has nothing going for it unless your a criminal. Even at that, there ain't nothing to steal worth anything. Too bad. It was a wonderful place to live in the 60s. I have good memories shopping with my mother on I think it was Broad St. About 17 years ago a whole bunch of us went to see Rodney Dangerfield at The Ritz. Afterwords we drove around and was discusted what it has become.

Brian, what part of Colonia are you referring to that is simular priced as some of the better areas of Avenel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:44 AM

22 posts, read 50,725 times
Trust me we have looked in Colonia. If this house was located there it would be far out of our price range. This is move-in condition (what we are basially looking for). I figure we can buy this a decent price (although higher than the average Avenel home) won't really have to put any work/money into it and hope that within 5-7 years the value increases. If it is true that they are planning on building new homes where that Dynamics Building is that could be a huge plus further down the road. Does anyone have more informaion on that "project" or something to confirm this?

Old 12-10-2008, 12:20 PM

9,125 posts, read 22,355,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straswell View Post
If it is true that they are planning on building new homes where that Dynamics Building is that could be a huge plus further down the road. Does anyone have more informaion on that "project" or something to confirm this?
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the GC site to get developed- it's been for sale for over 10 years, and no one has bought it. The price tag is extremely high, the cost to demo the buildings is also high, and the location isn't exactly ideal- the train tracks get a lot of traffic, and Avenel Street couldn't handle the increased traffic count from hundreds of new homes being built there. The site isn't large enough for "thousands of new homes", but could foreseeably fit 200 or so (more if they went multi-family, which would be a disaster for so many reasons).

Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the GC site to get developed- it's been for sale for over 10 years, and no one has bought it. The price tag is extremely high, the cost to demo the buildings is also high, and the location isn't exactly ideal- the train tracks get a lot of traffic, and Avenel Street couldn't handle the increased traffic count from hundreds of new homes being built there. The site isn't large enough for "thousands of new homes", but could foreseeably fit 200 or so (more if they went multi-family, which would be a disaster for so many reasons).
Bob it was sold. About 20 months ago my Mom told me she attended a council meeting because her and all her neighbors were very concerned that they might open up all the dead end streets that die into the GD land. The mayor assured them that they would not. At this time they have a conceptual drawing of all the streets and general infrastructure. Those who live up on Imman Av were concerned too because there is a planned bridge to cross the tracks close to Rt 1. That will be a great exit to avoid side streets.

The main entrance will be in the obvious place right on Avenel St right where the GD main gate is. No homes will extend down where the Woodbridge State School is but that already existing road in there that leads to Rahway Av will remain but will be improved with street lighing, walking paths and jogging trails. All the college named streets will remain dead ends. There is a planned light on Rahway Av where this road spills. All the roads are named already.

The main issue with the hold up is contaminated soil. You know Jersey and the ever so loud and powerful DEP. Seems the govt has been dumping toxins for many decades. No one will procecute them though. Why cant we?

As far as the builders I have no idea. The Mayor said probably several will be involved as there will be several named sections all with different themes. This is the only remaining undeveloped piece of land in Woodbridge, Avenel and Iselin combined. Rest assured they want to do this right.

As far as this project having any negative affects on the surrounding communities I say no way. Other then a little extra Avenel St rush hour and another traffic light there, this whole thing can only do good for the town.

Mom sent me an artists rendering of the new neighborhoods more then a year ago. I will write her to see if she still has it and I will post it.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:31 PM

General Dynamics was sold in 2001 for a bit over $6 million to a holding company in Brooklyn. It was resold in 2003 to a major undisclosed residential developer for an undisclosed amount. Thats all I have on it.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:03 PM

2,093 posts, read 3,565,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Is that true now about Colonia? Colonia was always the more desirable place to live meaning higher prices.

Elizabeth has nothing going for it unless your a criminal. Even at that, there ain't nothing to steal worth anything. Too bad. It was a wonderful place to live in the 60s. I have good memories shopping with my mother on I think it was Broad St. About 17 years ago a whole bunch of us went to see Rodney Dangerfield at The Ritz. Afterwords we drove around and was discusted what it has become.

Brian, what part of Colonia are you referring to that is simular priced as some of the better areas of Avenel?

They are all over starting in the Chain o hills section, country club, lake ave and estate sections
Sellers are starting to wise up and list their houses at a price that will sell
If you want a listing or 2 to see for yourself send me a pm

Old 12-11-2008, 05:59 AM

9,125 posts, read 22,355,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Bob it was sold. About 20 months ago my Mom told me she attended a council meeting because her and all her neighbors were very concerned that they might open up all the dead end streets that die into the GD land. The mayor assured them that they would not. At this time they have a conceptual drawing of all the streets and general infrastructure. Those who live up on Imman Av were concerned too because there is a planned bridge to cross the tracks close to Rt 1. That will be a great exit to avoid side streets.

The main entrance will be in the obvious place right on Avenel St right where the GD main gate is. No homes will extend down where the Woodbridge State School is but that already existing road in there that leads to Rahway Av will remain but will be improved with street lighing, walking paths and jogging trails. All the college named streets will remain dead ends. There is a planned light on Rahway Av where this road spills. All the roads are named already.

The main issue with the hold up is contaminated soil. You know Jersey and the ever so loud and powerful DEP. Seems the govt has been dumping toxins for many decades. No one will procecute them though. Why cant we?

As far as the builders I have no idea. The Mayor said probably several will be involved as there will be several named sections all with different themes. This is the only remaining undeveloped piece of land in Woodbridge, Avenel and Iselin combined. Rest assured they want to do this right.

As far as this project having any negative affects on the surrounding communities I say no way. Other then a little extra Avenel St rush hour and another traffic light there, this whole thing can only do good for the town.

Mom sent me an artists rendering of the new neighborhoods more then a year ago. I will write her to see if she still has it and I will post it.
I'll believe it when I see it- especially in this market. I'd be willing to bet that you won't see a bit of work done on that site for at least another two years- no bank is going to finance the deal.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:00 PM

If anyone still cares I got some updating on General Dynamics as I promised. There is a whole lot of condos (are you surprised) going in there along with single family detached. All the contaminated soil has been excavated and replaced with clean. There was no complaints from homes regarding truck noise or failure to keep promises of what would be done.

The developers promise to upgrade the Avenel Train Station with lighting and shelter. The new development will have walking paths directly to the train station without ever having to go out on Avenel St. No entrances will be built into the new development as I said before. Just the one main entrance on Avenel St and the small road that will empty on Rahway Av.

All the college streets will remain dead ends but they will all have walking paths into the new development. There will be a small shopping center/strip of of small stores within so the college streets can walk to these stores without ever having to get in their cars to drive out to Avenel St and enter at the main entrance.

She said she would mail me the artists rendering of the entire development that is going inside the GD complex. I dont know if I can get it to those who are concerned because the nearist place where I can scan it is over an hour from where I am living. We have no franchises like Office Max out here. Anyway no one is going to build anything till this depression is upgraded to a recession or better.

To the OP can you keep us up on if you buy that house?

Old 12-15-2008, 02:27 PM

Thank you again, for all your insight. I will keep you posted.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:22 PM

Update: We have decided to move forward and purchase the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey