Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:53 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,065 times

Advertisements

it's part of Woodbridge right? yeah, its a huge town. its basically a Jersey version of Staten Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straswell View Post
Update: We have decided to move forward and purchase the home.
Good for you. Let us know when you move in. That's not a bad neighborhod.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,050 times
looking at a house on mereline ave, how is the area and that road?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiddy View Post
looking at a house on mereline ave, how is the area and that road?
Mereline runs parallel to Rahway Ave, and is not what I'd call the "best" part of town- I believe the road ends at the side of the trailer park. It's only a few blocks up from the marshy area that runs out toward Carteret, and it's a hodge-podge of smaller, older homes. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if it's affordable and suits your needs, go for it.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,050 times
so is the neighborhood ok? is it a quit place? the house is on the corner of mereline and colling somthing, i think. I see the trailers one house over. u think it is a bad chose?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
"Bad" is relative- it's one thing if you're paying $150k for the house- it's another entirely if you're paying $350k for the house. You're a block away from a very busy road and less than a block from a large trailer park (not known for it's high-class citizens). Bear in mind that I grew up literally 3 blocks away (on the other side of Rahway Ave), but that was in the 70's and 80's, and the area has changed for the worse. But if you're looking for a lower-middle class, blue-collar neighborhood, it'll work just fine.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:40 AM

I will be a little stronger then Bob was on that street. What I recommend is to sit on the street when the school bus comes round and make your own decisions. It is very run down last I was there. Even some newer bi-levels mixed in but look more like 60 years old rather then 20. Last time I roamed there I saw mattresses on lawns, old cars sinking into the mud, and stares that if looks could kill they proably will.

As for quiet? NO NO NO. Homestead is an illegal but ignored drag strip. Has been since I was a little boy. Many a fatalities happened on Homestead. That street does not connect to Homestead but it's like 100' from it and you will hear the noise of the thousands of cars and big trucks that travel it daily to get to work. There are many large companies down Homestead at Blair Rd. Plus it is a short cut to Carteret and Exit 12 on the TPK.

I advise against it.......

Old 02-02-2009, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,916 times
what about Remsen Avenue? Any input on that street and surrounding area? The houses on the block are nice- its a well kept area and big homes are being built.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erisko View Post
what about Remsen Avenue? Any input on that street and surrounding area? The houses on the block are nice- its a well kept area and big homes are being built.
I can't say anything horrible about Remsen Av. Whether it be east or west of Avenel St it's all the same over there. Like most of Avenel it is all cape cod homes built in for the returning soldiers all on 50 X 100 lots.

Location wise is perfect. Where Remsen hits Rt 1 gets a little crappy. I think it dont hit Rt 1, it hits where all those junk yards are on Leesville. Steer clear of that area. It is close to a real bad area of Rahway over there.

Go for it if you like the area. I grew up over there. My Dad owned that Laundramat on Avenel St for a long long time. I walked and rode my bike on all those streets even though we live on the other side of Avenel.

About a block from Remsen right on Avenel St is a little Italian Cafe that is very very good. Next door I dont know if it is still there but there was the greatest chocolate shop.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,916 times
Thank you for your response. It is greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey