Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 4,949 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just graduated from pharmacy school and moving to NJ to start my residency and decided to move to Hackensack since its close to work and not too small for someone my age. I heard that some parts are sketchy and right now I'm looking at apartments and I don't know which streets to avoid. I got to move in by the end of this month and I live in SC right now so I can't go up there and look around.

Your help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:59 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,902,998 times
Anywhere on Prospect Ave will be OK.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,752,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mghashe View Post
Hi,

I just graduated from pharmacy school and moving to NJ to start my residency and decided to move to Hackensack since its close to work and not too small for someone my age. I heard that some parts are sketchy and right now I'm looking at apartments and I don't know which streets to avoid. I got to move in by the end of this month and I live in SC right now so I can't go up there and look around.

Your help is much appreciated.
I lived in Hackensack for 5 years. It's where I went to High School

The area I'd suggest you avoid is the area around First St and Railroad Ave. I know for a fact that First and Central is a "narcotic zone"... The southern most end of Anderson St and East Passaic St is an shabby area... Green St is pretty shabby as well.

The whole River St/Hudson St/Main St/Lodi St is not so bad, but it's just not all that appealing.

Prospect Ave and Summit Ave are great, basically the whole area between Summit and Maywood Ave is fine (Maywood Ave is in Maywood, but it's just to give you an idea)..Everything between Polify Rd and South Prospect is fine too.. And anything north of Passaic St (all the way to Spring Valley- including Johnson Ave) is fine (except for the Anderson st immediate area)

The best place to look is Prospect Ave. because of all the high rise apartments.
~~

Good Luck

Old 06-12-2010, 06:49 AM

4 posts, read 4,949 times
Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey