Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 AM

96 posts, read 236,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf3971 View Post
Not right to give advice if you don't know the facts:
1. the train from princeton junction to Penn Station is 55 min express, about 110 local.
2. It is a direct train and you do not change at Newark...
Princeton is a really amazing place..you should check it out.
Yes this is true. And make sure you buy the ticket for New York Penn Station not Newark Penn. I find you always have to add about 10-15 min to published times for the NJ trains. Best thing is to look at the Northeast Corridor (NEC) train schedule on the NJTransit website and you'll find which times have less stops between Princeton Junction and NYPenn Sta. Then you also have to factor in where in Manhattan you need to be once there. Penn Station is at 7th & W. 32 and from there you may need to transfer to the subway where Local vs Express can also make a difference in commute time.

I like Princeton and the surrounding area. If you enjoy coffeehouses check out Small World Coffee there (2 locations across from campus). I do find Princeton lacking in having a really good bookstore at the campus area, but I was spoiled having gone to Michigan and having the original Borders there on campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 12:31 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofietrt View Post
I do find Princeton lacking in having a really good bookstore at the campus area, but I was spoiled having gone to Michigan and having the original Borders there on campus.
Have you tried Labyrinth Books? It's not 30,000 sq. ft. like the B&N proposed for New Brunswick, but I've found the eclectic variety interesting.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:40 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
Ok, people, holidays getting to you? Nobody said it was a fact.

I said if I had to guess. And then added Maybe someone will know better about the commute.

The whole reason I put the disclaimer in. Would have been nice if someone would have answered the OP question BEFORE my guess.

Sorry for trying to help.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:22 AM

137 posts, read 522,482 times
For kids' events, you can subscribe to a weekly e-mail on PrincetonKIDS - Keeping parents in the know and kids on the go.
There are quite a lot happening every week.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:42 AM

252 posts, read 769,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Princeton is overrated and they are having a gang problem in the shools - believe it or not - just google it and you will see.

And remember there are two Princetons with totally different school systems - Princeton Borough and Princeton Township

West Windsor is supposed to have better schools.
Hmmmm.....

The 1st statement ("Princeton is overrated") is only one person's opinion. My opinion: Princeton isn't overrated at all. In a sea of New Jersey mediocrity, Princeton is a vibrant, cultured, and interesting town, the best i've found in the state. Politically, it's way too liberal for me (and i voted for Obama), but it offers a very nice, if expensive, lifestyle.

Gangs? I have no association with Princeton schools, so i can't say for sure. If there are gangs, i doubt that they have much - if any - effect on the daily life of the vast majority of students.

The 2nd statement is factually incorrect. The Borough and the Township do NOT have totally different school systems. There is only one public high school.

The 3rd statement is highly debatable. Last December, a Wall Street Journal analysis cited Princeton as one of the top 100 high schools in the country at getting its graduates into top colleges. West Windsor was not on the list. My family and i used to live in West Windsor. When my son was in 8th grade, we investigated WW high school, and were disappointed. We enrolled him at Princeton Day School (private, also on the WSJ list), and were extremely satisfied.

As a community, i think you'll find that West Windsor is largely made up of tacky, pretentious McMansions, built on former potato fields, with no pedestrian-friendly town center. When we lived there, we regularly escaped to Princeton for dining, entertainment, culture, etc. It's classier, more sophisticated (in the good sense of that word), and more worldly.

If you don't want to be in Princeton itself, there are better suburbs than West Windsor: Hopewell, Rocky Hill, and even Pennington are worth a look.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourdreamhouse View Post
Hmmmm.....

The 1st statement ("Princeton is overrated") is only one person's opinion. My opinion: Princeton isn't overrated at all. In a sea of New Jersey mediocrity, Princeton is a vibrant, cultured, and interesting town, the best i've found in the state. Politically, it's way too liberal for me (and i voted for Obama), but it offers a very nice, if expensive, lifestyle.

Gangs? I have no association with Princeton schools, so i can't say for sure. If there are gangs, i doubt that they have much - if any - effect on the daily life of the vast majority of students.

The 2nd statement is factually incorrect. The Borough and the Township do NOT have totally different school systems. There is only one public high school.

The 3rd statement is highly debatable. Last December, a Wall Street Journal analysis cited Princeton as one of the top 100 high schools in the country at getting its graduates into top colleges. West Windsor was not on the list. My family and i used to live in West Windsor. When my son was in 8th grade, we investigated WW high school, and were disappointed. We enrolled him at Princeton Day School (private, also on the WSJ list), and were extremely satisfied.

As a community, i think you'll find that West Windsor is largely made up of tacky, pretentious McMansions, built on former potato fields, with no pedestrian-friendly town center. When we lived there, we regularly escaped to Princeton for dining, entertainment, culture, etc. It's classier, more sophisticated (in the good sense of that word), and more worldly.

If you don't want to be in Princeton itself, there are better suburbs than West Windsor: Hopewell, Rocky Hill, and even Pennington are worth a look.
Princeton is very nice as a town, both to live and enjoy. I stick with my contention that West Windsor has a better school system. Sorry you don't like WW, to each his own. Yes, there are gangs on Princeton. Yes, Princeton is liberal. One of its good points, actually.

I do not think very highly of Hopewell at all. Any knock you have on West Windsor could be said for it, and the people are intolerant, which you can't say for WW, which is one of the most diverse towns in NJ; Pennington and Rocky Hill are tiny boroughs that are quaint and interesting, but are overshadowed by Hopewell, and Montgomery, respectively.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:24 PM

137 posts, read 522,482 times
Here are the articles re: gangs in Princeton:

Gangs of Princeton: trouble in paradise (2008)Gangs of Princeton: trouble in paradise - The Daily Princetonian

School Security Issues Are Debated by Princeton Parents, Board Members (2005)Town Topics

Gang forum educates community (2004)Gang forum educates community - The Daily Princetonian

Last edited by lwnj; 12-23-2008 at 02:36 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 04:27 PM

7 posts, read 39,509 times
princeton is a great town--if i were starting over again i would prolly chose to live there--about as close to a dream town as you are likely to find anywhere

Old 05-16-2009, 06:03 PM

237 posts, read 1,110,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamidad View Post
princeton is a great town--if i were starting over again i would prolly chose to live there--about as close to a dream town as you are likely to find anywhere
I tend to agree with you. Even though I have lived in the Princeton area for over 10 years it never gets old for me.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:30 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofietrt View Post
I do find Princeton lacking in having a really good bookstore at the campus area, but I was spoiled having gone to Michigan and having the original Borders there on campus.
I caught the University of Michigan reference there. GO BLUE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey