Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:41 PM

9 posts, read 53,847 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of stuff to here, and it has almost everything to enjoy.. however it is becoming ridiculously expensive. After paying a 30% Fed Tax, $9,200 a year in property taxes, out of control NJ taxes, 7% sales tax I have no money. This state is becoming more of a welfare state for Trenton, Camden and Newark. The political corruption unbelievable... Im counting down the days, until I can find a job out state and leave!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 02:24 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaofchicken View Post
This state is becoming more of a welfare state for Trenton, Camden and Newark.
Huh????
Blaming the inner city is the ultimate in NJ suburban predictability. Please................... How about the 10,000 little, individual towns, all with a Mayor, fire & police chief. All with secretaries & clerks. All with bureaucracy & all trying to beat the state out of what ever dollar they can get.
Newark & Camden are the least of it as far as wasteful spending in this state.
Does Guttenberg even need to be a "separate" town?
Blaming NJ's failing cities after we (NJ citizens) let them rot & decay to the point of embarrassment is not only dishonest, it is shameful as a people.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:35 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Huh????
Blaming the inner city is the ultimate in NJ suburban predictability. Please................... How about the 10,000 little, individual towns, all with a Mayor, fire & police chief. All with secretaries & clerks. All with bureaucracy & all trying to beat the state out of what ever dollar they can get.Newark & Camden are the least of it as far as wasteful spending in this state.
Does Guttenberg even need to be a "separate" town?
Blaming NJ's failing cities after we (NJ citizens) let them rot & decay to the point of embarrassment is not only dishonest, it is shameful as a people.
I read an interesting OP ED about Chris Christie and how he would have a tough road if he decided to run for Gov. One of his platforms is consolidation, and he'll run into opposition from the "rich" towns (who he considers his constituents) who like their little fiefdoms, thankyouverymuch. seems the wealthy towns want to have their cake and eat it too. i believe UKOK (not pickin' on ya dude ) was the one who flat out said he'd pay more in taxes NOT to consolidate school districts. so on the one hand you have people screaming about taxes, but when push comes to shove, no one wants to make concessions - the concessions need to come from the other guy. interesting.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:41 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I read an interesting OP ED about Chris Christie and how he would have a tough road if he decided to run for Gov. One of his platforms is consolidation, and he'll run into opposition from the "rich" towns (who he considers his constituents) who like their little fiefdoms, thankyouverymuch. seems the wealthy towns want to have their cake and eat it too. i believe UKOK (not pickin' on ya dude ) was the one who flat out said he'd pay more in taxes NOT to consolidate school districts. so on the one hand you have people screaming about taxes, but when push comes to shove, no one wants to make concessions - the concessions need to come from the other guy. interesting.
From what I've heard about him, he'd make an excellent governor. I hope he does run.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:27 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Yeah that was me. And I still feel that way. BUT I'm not looking for concessions from anybody...I'm willing to pay what it costs to keep my schools the same way and I'm not alone in this thinking....

Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Ahhhh yes...school consolidation-if it were only possible. Hmmm...let's see:

In Mercer County you'd have Princeton kids and Trenton kids in the same school system. In Essex County you'd have Millburn kids with Newark kids Let's see those Chris Christie supporters in Short Hills and Bernardsville open up their wallets at a fundraiser after he drops that bomb on them.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:47 AM

93 posts, read 165,768 times
Quote:
Im counting down the days, until I can find a job out state and leave!!
Hoping the wifes job relocation comes through so I can vam-oos myself. I'm just tired......almost 50 years is long enough.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:00 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Yeah that was me. And I still feel that way. BUT I'm not looking for concessions from anybody...I'm willing to pay what it costs to keep my schools the same way and I'm not alone in this thinking....
I didn't mean to imply you wanted others to make concessions. But I completely believe you're not alone, and it makes me think this OP ED guy was on to something....

Along these lines - there's a movement underfoot to break up the West Morris district, which is comprised of Mendham, Chester and Long Valley. Mendham and Chester want to form their own district, and have Long Valley form their own. Why? Mendham and Chester feel they are paying an unfair share b/c their property values are higher than those in LV. We're like the "Morris County Newark" in these town's eyes - big old moochers, LOL! These are 3 WEALTHY towns and look what's going on. And Chris Christie thinks he's going to be successful in consolidating? Good luck there pal.

I think if Mendham and Chester are successful, at some point in the future Mendham will want to break off b/c they don't want to carry those "Chester losers", LOL.

Last edited by tahiti; 12-16-2008 at 08:20 AM..

Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
There is a lot of stuff to here, and it has almost everything to enjoy.. however it is becoming ridiculously expensive. After paying a 30% Fed Tax, $9,200 a year in property taxes, out of control NJ taxes, 7% sales tax I have no money. This state is becoming more of a welfare state for Trenton, Camden and Newark. The political corruption unbelievable... Im counting down the days, until I can find a job out state and leave!!
I understand the frustration. Please send us a postcard once you find the land of abundant jobs and reasonable taxes !!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:41 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
Quote:

Heres yet the start of another thread about the out of control cost to live in New Jersey and how the poster can't wait to get out of this state. This this type of informative debate seems to anger most on this board so it will be nice to see someone else crucified for making this point rather than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey