U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:00 AM

5,273 posts, read 6,332,648 times

Advertisements

I understand a law went into effect in 9/08 about a mandatory flu shot for preschoolers or kids at daycare sites? I understand about other major vaccines out there (i.e Chicken pox,measles,etc.) and my kids have received them all BUT isn't this more personal choice than mandatory??

I received slips in my twins' (will be 4 in Jan.) knapsacks yesterday. It does stipulate that
if there is a medical contraindication OR religious exemption to check the box.

They recently implemented a new program in effect for 3 year olds to attend preschool at the local elementary school for them to attend pre-school *full-time*....

The kids have never received a flu shot..We used to live in MA and their physician offered it but we declined which was fine with them. There was no state law in effect.. They have always been healthy without getting the flu shot.....

Have any parents declined the flu shots for their children? My husband and I personally have never gotten the flu shots! and we are pretty healthy!! I just do not wanting my kids to get the shot when we don't since I see many people getting sick from it afterwards!!
THank you for any help This is nervewracking.

Last edited by njsocks; 12-18-2008 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 09:21 AM

97 posts, read 431,128 times
I gave my daughter a flu shot when she was 6 months old (she's 2 1/2 now) b/c it's now required, then we found out she's allergic to eggs, so now she's exempt from it. We just started daycare 2 weeks ago and they didn't give us a hard time about it and she hasn't been re-checked for allergies in over 2 years. Our daycare program is only a half-day schedule twice a week. Maybe that's why they weren't so strict. Hmmm...

Old 12-18-2008, 09:25 AM

3,269 posts, read 8,652,088 times
Yep - new law just passed for this year. If your kid goes to a licensed day care or pre-school and is between 6-59 months of age then they are required to get a flu shot. The only way around it is to get a medical exemption (egg allergy) or file for religious exemption.

NJ pharmaceutical companies spent years and mega $'s lobbying for this bill. They are now pushing for the flu shot to be made mandatory for all school age kids. They are also pushing for it to be Nationwide, NJ was just the first. Never mind that Corslime said it wouldn't pass at least until the vaccine manufacturers removed mercury from every shot. I guess he can be bought too (shocker).

Anyway, I agree it should be a personal choice. There are some groups that are lobbying for a exemption to be added for that reason but it won't help you this year.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Yep - new law just passed for this year. If your kid goes to a licensed day care or pre-school and is between 6-59 months of age then they are required to get a flu shot. The only way around it is to get a medical exemption (egg allergy) or file for religious exemption.

NJ pharmaceutical companies spent years and mega $'s lobbying for this bill. They are now pushing for the flu shot to be made mandatory for all school age kids. They are also pushing for it to be Nationwide, NJ was just the first. Never mind that Corslime said it wouldn't pass at least until the vaccine manufacturers removed mercury from every shot. I guess he can be bought too (shocker).

Anyway, I agree it should be a personal choice. There are some groups that are lobbying for a exemption to be added for that reason but it won't help you this year.

What do I do to "file" for religious exemption? DO I need a form from local gov't agency? or can I write a letter to the RN at the school? Ugh! this stinks! I believe in many of the shots BUT when it comes to a flu shot, that should be up to the parent's discretion....

Old 12-18-2008, 09:58 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,483,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
... for flue shots.

I still take issue with someone who thinks the polio vaccine shouldn't be taken. Since, you know, we don't have polio anymore.

(Because of the shots. 3rd world countries suffer greatly without these vaccines)

Hey, theres an idea! Everyone who refuses should have their shot sent to the people who want it

Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,109,778 times
I'll be the dissenter. Kids get sick easily at school. Their noses run, they touch the same toys and each other. I am constantly bleaching toys, surfaces (I am a clean freak) and so many kids still get sick. JMO that we should do everything possible to keep germs from spreading in addition to the obvious handwashing, cleaning, etc...
Again, it's MY opinion and I am entitled to it just as you are entitled to yours.
Shanny

Old 12-18-2008, 04:13 PM

We talked to the school nurse and said to write them a letter declining the vaccine. Don't even need it notorized. Whew.

I don't mind the other vaccinations that are mandatory to prevent the deadly diseases, etc... BUT the flu? .....

Old 12-18-2008, 04:49 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,673,239 times
Kids today are getting way to many shots and then they wonder why Autism has the highest percentage in NJ.

Yes, if the gov't says that it's for your best interest, be warned.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 PM

3,269 posts, read 8,652,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
What do I do to "file" for religious exemption? DO I need a form from local gov't agency? or can I write a letter to the RN at the school? Ugh! this stinks! I believe in many of the shots BUT when it comes to a flu shot, that should be up to the parent's discretion....
It's a pretty stock letter that you can find online by googling. If you can't find it - DM me. However, you may or may not run into a problem if your kids have had all the other shots and will continue to get them after you file your exemption. Depends on the nurse that reviews the medical records.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:56 PM

1,914 posts, read 3,021,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
I don't know if anything has changed since the last time I looked into this issue but for a religious exemption you used to need a letter from your religious "organization" leader stating where/why vaccinations are "against" your religion as well as proof that you are a member of said religious organization.

I don't know if you would be able to claim religious exemption against one vax - especially if you typically do vax your kid(s)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or