Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:46 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times

Advertisements

Not garbage either, a working P3 computer, brand new in box wallet, interesting lamp, electronic typewriter, and I could sell this stuff much much easier than I could give it away. People ARE SO unreliable! Yes I'll come over, coming right now.... and they NEVER show up, this seems to be typical of EVERYONE who wants something for free... I finally gave up and put it up on eBay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 03:08 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,288 times
Discouraging isn't it. I belong to a group called Freecycle. I've given a lot of things away that way and after a while I began to keep a list of the people who didn't show up. The thing about Freecycle is that people have to join and you can pick and choose who you give your things to. If I have more than 1 person respond to an offer, I will search the freecycle ads to see if they have given stuff away themselves.

well, at least you'll make a few bucks on Ebay.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:27 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,251 times
Wow how generous I would have taken the PC I know a single Mom who could really use that.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:40 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
I get revenge on all the no-shows and fake calls from lonely people who just want to chat rather then come look at your goods for sale.

When some one emails me for my item for sale I will write them back with their answers. Rare do they ever write you back. So the next day I write them back saying no one has bought the item yet and I cut the price in half if they still want it. If still no answer I write them back the 3rd day to say no one bought it yet and I cut the price in half again. The item may be long since sold mind you, Im just having fun.

If I have no reply from them after I write them several times then I will tell them that I give up, no one wants the item and now it is for free. Sometimes they still dont answer. Sometimes all of a suddden they now find a need for it. Then I will write them back explaining how I just proved what idiots they are.

Im well aware of the nuts on Craigslist. Im surprised though that you have problems giving away free items. I would think you would have thousands of people responding to free items in this depression.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:26 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,581,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I get revenge on all the no-shows and fake calls from lonely people who just want to chat rather then come look at your goods for sale.

When some one emails me for my item for sale I will write them back with their answers. Rare do they ever write you back. So the next day I write them back saying no one has bought the item yet and I cut the price in half if they still want it. If still no answer I write them back the 3rd day to say no one bought it yet and I cut the price in half again. The item may be long since sold mind you, Im just having fun.

If I have no reply from them after I write them several times then I will tell them that I give up, no one wants the item and now it is for free. Sometimes they still dont answer. Sometimes all of a suddden they now find a need for it. Then I will write them back explaining how I just proved what idiots they are.

Im well aware of the nuts on Craigslist. Im surprised though that you have problems giving away free items. I would think you would have thousands of people responding to free items in this depression.
I've lost count on how many times I've responded to ads giving something away on Craigslist and Freecycle and I rarely get a response back. In my responses I tell them that I'll take it off their hands at whatever time is good for them, still to no avail. Only once I was able to get something in a years time only because they listed a phone number and I responded that way.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:56 PM

691 posts, read 1,427,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Not garbage either, a working P3 computer, brand new in box wallet, interesting lamp, electronic typewriter, and I could sell this stuff much much easier than I could give it away. People ARE SO unreliable! Yes I'll come over, coming right now.... and they NEVER show up, this seems to be typical of EVERYONE who wants something for free... I finally gave up and put it up on eBay.
If you live in Essex County area, I will take the computer from you, let me know how much you want for it if you want a price

Old 12-21-2008, 06:51 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
I've lost count on how many times I've responded to ads giving something away on Craigslist and Freecycle and I rarely get a response back. In my responses I tell them that I'll take it off their hands at whatever time is good for them, still to no avail. Only once I was able to get something in a years time only because they listed a phone number and I responded that way.
I don't know which group you belong to but with Freecycle it really annoys me when someone just writes "when can I come and get it." I'm more likely to respond to someone who is polite in their response. Also more likely to respond to people that offer items also.

I've been very lucky on Craigslist and Freecycle. Just in the past month I asked for a Christmas Tree for my classroom and I received a great one. Then on Craigslist and Freecycle I responded to ads for stuffed animals because we give them to the Kindergartners for Christmas. I actually had two woman go out of their way to collect additional ones from their friends when they heard what I was going to do with them.

My point is that it is possible to get things. The biggest thing I've received is a television for my classroom.

I live in Ocean County so that might have something to do with it too.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:06 PM

517 posts, read 1,964,246 times
I'm really surprised. I placed an ad this year (gave away an old propane grill) and had a good response. I followed up with each and every person who contacted me (some were quite surprised to get a response). After a day or two I found someone who actually showed up, loaded the grill on his truck and happily took it home. It was a good experience for me but I can see how it can get a little "weird".

On a different note - once I sold concert tickets to a show I couldn't attend and the person actually came to my house, took the tickets from the mailbox and left cash in an envelope. It was nice to see that there are still some normal people in the world. It's easy to lose hope in humanity when you see so many terrible things going on in the news.

Back to your point - good luck getting rid of your stuff. Hopefully, you'll do well with ebay.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:24 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Same thing happened to me... it's unbelievable. I had a lot of furniture to give away once and people gave me the same lines.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,581,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
I don't know which group you belong to but with Freecycle it really annoys me when someone just writes "when can I come and get it." I'm more likely to respond to someone who is polite in their response. Also more likely to respond to people that offer items also.

I've been very lucky on Craigslist and Freecycle. Just in the past month I asked for a Christmas Tree for my classroom and I received a great one. Then on Craigslist and Freecycle I responded to ads for stuffed animals because we give them to the Kindergartners for Christmas. I actually had two woman go out of their way to collect additional ones from their friends when they heard what I was going to do with them.

My point is that it is possible to get things. The biggest thing I've received is a television for my classroom.

I live in Ocean County so that might have something to do with it too.
I belong to the Bergen and Hudson County Freecycle groups and I am very polite in my responses and still Zilch, Nothing, Zip, Zero, etc.,,, it's frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey