Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 10,156 times

Advertisements

Okay, I am taking a transfer at my job that will move me from South Jersey (Turnpike Interchange 3) to right off Tpk Interchange 11.

My question is on areas around there... I'd be looking for a 1 BR apartment, preferably heat included, that isn't double my current rent of $725. I know it's cheap, and I like it, but 70 miles one way just sucks. I know it will be more expensive, but hopefully not horribly so.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations on where to go, maybe even down the shore end, like Monmouth County? This is definitely a broad thread, basically to weed out the really bad spots, as I don't even know if I can get out of my lease, but I want to get a head start. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I know this seems like a long rambling post, so any more information you need, just post and I will answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 12:29 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
You could check Millbrook Village in Edison near MCC (county college) I think their rent is still in the 900's for one bedrooms. Nice, clean, good admin staff to deal with, pool, but nothihng fancy. Would not be considered "luxury".

Old 12-26-2008, 12:58 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
I dont consider Woodbridge to be north Jersey. It's pretty central but coming from exit 3 I guess it seems real north to you.

$725 in Woodbridge? I dont think that is possible. I'd almost bet on it. I just paused here for a moment thinking of any place within a half hour radius of exit 11 with apartments that cheap. I cant think of one. That dont mean there ain't.

Perth Amboy maybe? You would have to be able to speak a foriegn language though. Maybe Carteret? Edison like the last poster said maybe just maybe. Fords? Seawaren? Port Reading? Avenel Im pretty familiar with and I say no way.

I wish ya luck though.......

Old 12-26-2008, 03:28 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Rents for a 1br or studio in this area are $800 and above
but there are a couple listed in the $700 range
One is in Sayrevil and the other is in Fords

Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood

Old 12-26-2008, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the help. I know I won't find any rent comparable up there; heck, that's even hard down here, but I am hoping for maybe 800-900s... I was worried about nothing below 1100 or so, and that stinks as well.

I'm originally from Cumberland County, what I call DEEP SOUTH Jersey, and to those people, Interchange 3 is North Jersey. Seriously. Yeah, at work they told me Woodbridge is central, but like the other poster said, to us it's north.

Once I find out more information I'll check back. I appreciate your continued help.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:31 PM

37 posts, read 151,010 times
In addition to home sales throughout Monmouth, Middlesex and Ocean Counties, I also deal with rentals. $725 p/month might be a challenge but isn't necessarily impossible.

Go to www.Move.com to search out rentals nationwide. If you want to be near Exit 11 and you need something in that $725 price range, you may want to consider the following towns:

Woodbridge, Avenel, Fords, Sayreville, Parlin, South River, Keyport, Laurence Harbor, South Amboy

Best of luck to you,

Moderator cut: removed signature

Last edited by Marka; 01-05-2009 at 04:30 AM..

Old 12-27-2008, 11:32 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
Woodbridge is considered Central jersey, but kinda on the border of it.

Ever Thought about Bayonne. Its like the border of north and central jersey. You could probably find a 1 bd aprt for 800 w/ no problem, maybe even for lower if lookin for a studio.

try to check it out.

But Woodbrdge and Avenel should be pretty good too.

Good Luck

Old 12-28-2008, 12:09 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Yea, Woodbridge is not North Jersey.
Other than that............. I'm pretty light on information about the town.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:38 PM

Default CENTRAL Jersey

Okay, I've come to realize Woodbridge is Central Jersey. Now that that's been clarified...

I did have another idea that I wanted to run by you guys. Instead of an apartment, how about mobile home parks around? My first place by myself was actually a trailer I bought in a park when I lived in West Virginia, and I liked the fact that I owned it. I thought that this might be a better idea if it's local and I can afford it so, any information? I know, so broad and I keep jumping around on ideas, but I want to get an idea on my options and what I'm looking at in terms of cost for each, etc.

I was thinking that if I found an older, cheaper mobile home close that it would be comparable to renting and at least I would own it. I know, that type of stuff is not an investment, like real estate, but that's definitely not an option right now.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:01 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBR95 View Post
Okay, I've come to realize Woodbridge is Central Jersey. Now that that's been clarified...

I did have another idea that I wanted to run by you guys. Instead of an apartment, how about mobile home parks around? My first place by myself was actually a trailer I bought in a park when I lived in West Virginia, and I liked the fact that I owned it. I thought that this might be a better idea if it's local and I can afford it so, any information? I know, so broad and I keep jumping around on ideas, but I want to get an idea on my options and what I'm looking at in terms of cost for each, etc.

I was thinking that if I found an older, cheaper mobile home close that it would be comparable to renting and at least I would own it. I know, that type of stuff is not an investment, like real estate, but that's definitely not an option right now.
There are plenty of apartments in your price range, look in Edison and Piscataway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey