Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times

Advertisements

There may be more residential towers being built in JC, but Newark has the land area advantage over JC-meaning that more people can fit into a larger area. Also, It will be very hard for Jersey City to gain 40,000+ residents in a matter of 5 or 6 years. That type of growth doesn't happen in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 01:21 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
There may be more residential towers being built in JC, but Newark has the land area advantage over JC-meaning that more people can fit into a larger area. Also, It will be very hard for Jersey City to gain 40,000+ residents in a matter of 5 or 6 years. That type of growth doesn't happen in the Northeast.
You're right, not to mention that while downtown JC is growing, I'd put money down that many other areas of JC are losing population. Census estimates show Newark growing at about 2.5 percent between 2000-2007 and JC growing at less than 1 percent. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the truth

Old 12-29-2008, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 16,799 times
Default JC v NWK

Having lived in both cities, wow I will never live in Newark again. I LOVE Jersey City and plan on moving back after my current lease is up. I have no idea what Newark has to offer besides making me nervous. I would see cars get stolen often. I was afraid to walk around at night, even sometimes in the day.
Jersey City and Hoboken have undergone their rennaissance. Newark, is trying, but failing. The only part of Newark that is worth effort is Forest Hill, which doesnt even need work since all the people that lived there kept their mansions maintained. University Heights has had a lot of new housing built and many of the old buildings renovated, but still, is not safe at night. Downtown and the ironbound, really depends on block to block. Vailsburg-- its just a shame that what was an affluent neighborhood has become a ghetto due to urban decay, just like Clinton Hill (they ARE trying to restore, but, are failing). Weequahic, another sad story- what a beautiful neighborhood it was; thankfully some blocks have remained maintained and resemble parts of Bloomfield.
In Jersey City, the lafayette section is still in some need of clean up, but its happening; they are making merging and making Bergen-Lafayette, knocking down many blocks and rebuilding. The west side has much improved since the duncan ave projects are being replaced; its gonna be like a new Bayonne. The Heights, yeah it still depends exactly what block. McGinley and Journal Square are still beautiful (though journal square's streets and sidewalks could use a general powerwash). Greenville is becoming safer and nicer, especially along the 440 corridor. And of course, downtown is absoultely phenomenal, like the best parts of manhattan.

SO, yes, Jersey City has already well surpassed Newark in many great ways.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:54 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
^^^ I hear your frustration about Newark, but we're talking about population. I think JC MAY pass Newark in population, but not anytime soon. Newark is still growing in size, which is a good thing; it shows that people are now starting to invest in the city. Newark didn't get to where its at over night. Let's not expect every project to be a success.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I believe Jersey man has it right. Even since 2007 there are MANY very tall residential skyscrapers now containing new residents. I hear that JC has passed Newark in population.
JC can be mistaken for lower Manhattan from some views but Newark has a lot more capacity. I think mostly young single people occupy those buildings and aren't permenant residents. JC is a tight island area but Newark has a suburban neighborhoods. If crime and the economy can improve Newark will remain NJ's biggest city, that's the way it should be.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:08 AM

303 posts, read 752,512 times
Yea Jersey City will pass Newark. Im born and raised in JC so i support JC rather than Newark n to those who dont knw JC still has a lot of space espcially in the heights west of tonelle ave but nobody wants to bother because developers dont want to move anywhere other than downtown. but the population of JC wont pass Newark so fast give it another five years. they juss need to add more entertainment options and JC will grow a lot faster. most of those who dont want to JC is because not much life going on. but Newark will not fall as a great city it is an important city in Jersey mainly because of the airport. but honestly the way these politcians are leaning towards it wont be a fun destination to be in because it will feel like a fake city like its trying so hard to be nice but its not sad to say

Old 01-13-2009, 03:33 PM

403 posts, read 1,190,203 times
Newark is a great place that has the potential to be even greater. All this negative talk about the city just needs to stop. If you're not part of the solution then you're definitely part of the problem.

As far as Jersey City is concerned, it may surpass Newark in popularity amongst certain demographics of the state but I'm a true blue Jersey guy and as far as I'm concerned JC is too "Manhattenized" for my taste.

Newark embodies NJ much more that Jersey City does IMHO.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:31 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Newark is a great place that has the potential to be even greater. All this negative talk about the city just needs to stop. If you're not part of the solution then you're definitely part of the problem.

As far as Jersey City is concerned, it may surpass Newark in popularity amongst certain demographics of the state but I'm a true blue Jersey guy and as far as I'm concerned JC is too "Manhattenized" for my taste.

Newark embodies NJ much more that Jersey City does IMHO.
Please re-phrase that to "Downtown JC has become to Manhattenized" . Unfortunalty.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:31 AM

730 posts, read 2,888,077 times
Why are so many people down on the revitalization of downtown JC? What's wrong with having one small section of a city that has nice places to eat/shop, etc.? Does the entire city have to be the same? I like the fact that JC is so diverse.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:38 AM

403 posts, read 1,190,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
Why are so many people down on the revitalization of downtown JC? What's wrong with having one small section of a city that has nice places to eat/shop, etc.? Does the entire city have to be the same? I like the fact that JC is so diverse.
There's nothing wrong with JC fixing itself up. The problem lies with the "outside" influence reshaping JC into a mini Manhatten.

Jersey City is just that, Jersey City and it needs to retain that thing that makes it representative of an NJ major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey