U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2008, 06:59 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,265,526 times
Default Job Transfers

Currently, I am living in Columbia, SC and I HATE living here.

My background - I graduated with my MBA In April of 2008, I am still currently looking for positions in sales/management.

My plan is to get an entry level job for around 35,000 - 40,000 (which is decent money in SC) in mngt or sales and save my money. I have a nice car that is paid for and no rent/mortgage because I live with my dad. My goal is to move to Central/Northern NJ to experience NYC in 3 to 4 years, which would mean that I should have some money.

When the time comes for me to move, I am VERY concerned that my future company is going to shrug off my move to Central/Northern NJ.

Basicly, I really just dont know or understand how companies accept or disapprove a person's transfer. In 3-4 years I am moving with or without a job because I will have the money to do so, but of course I would like a good position waiting for me. So I have some questions for everyone!

1. Are job transfers request by employees usually met or disapproved?

2. Should I talk about this with my current boss or contact a person within my company in Central/Northern Jersey. Should I keep my desire to transfer a secret from my current boss?

* I know that I have a better chance of transfering with a large/nationwide company. Also, moving now for me is out of the question because companies are not willing to fly out of state candidates to job interviews that are entry level. I am very unhappy in SC and am looking for a way to get to the NYC metro area with a job waiting for me! Also, I have visited Freehold, Colts Neck and Fair Lawn many times to see friends so please dont start bashing NJ and try to persuade me not to move there

Last edited by Marka; 01-18-2009 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: per request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 07:39 PM

208 posts, read 524,624 times
Have you considered a management job at Target? I worked there for a while as an assistant manager fresh out of college. In NJ, starting salary is 55,000 prob 35-40 in SC) and they have no problem giving transfers but you have to stay in position for 18 months. As long as Targets don't start going out of business in NJ, I'd say that's definitely something for you to look into. Good luck!

Old 12-31-2008, 07:49 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,918,705 times
I wouldn't be too vocal about a plan to transfer with your boss right away. You can make it clear that you are open to transfers, but that could defiitely impact how you are viewed if it is clear that you want out of there quickly.

I think different companies view transfers quite differently, so it maight be something to try to get a feel for in the interview process.

And you certainly shouldn't limit yourself to transfers in order to make the move. With your degree, a few years experience (and, hopefully, a rebounding economy), you should be a good candidate for a lot of companies.

Good Luck !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey