U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
EB2

1,923 posts, read 3,734,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
When are you moving back, EB2?
I don't know...my student loan fell through. I have a nearly 800 credit score, 4 years of credit, and no one wants me without a cosigner.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,981,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I don't know...my student loan fell through. I have a nearly 800 credit score, 4 years of credit, and no one wants me without a cosigner.
oh no...

Old 01-02-2009, 12:31 PM

2,707 posts, read 4,772,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Instead of going with the obvious (quality of people, food), I am going to throw one out there that many who are life-long residents of NJ might not consider: exposure to poverty. Of course, there is poverty in New Jersey. I think many of us would agree that it is largely confined to cities. But as New Jerseyans, most really don't go into these areas, unless it is to work. For instance, does anyone make a pleasurable trip to East Orange? You can drive from Sussex to Cape May without encountering what I see here in New Mexico, which is blight on the level most here can't even imagine, or that I can convey in pictures on in Google Maps Street View. I never thought it would bother me as much as it is now. Therefore, there is an aura of mass prosperity to those who live in the Garden State, that is missing in many other areas in this country. For those of you live in NJ, and are considering moving, take this post into consideration before you follow through. You are paying a higher admission price because there is a positive tangibility to the lifestyle you all live. For the most part, New Jerseyans value education. They bust their asses off to maintain a lifestyle that has been passed down to them for generations. The culture is therefore superior, at least if one values a neighborhood with homes that are well maintained, no 'dead' cars on the front yard, no pit bulls tied up to a stake, or a pawn shop or adult book store located every 27 feet within the commercial district of the towns they live in. Again, these are qualities of life that one might take for granted if they live in the Garden State. Or the fact that you can live in just about any neighborhood (again removed from the impoverished cities) without the very real threat that your car might be broken into, in your own driveway, or that your neighborhood be 'tagged' with graffiti from MS-13 members. You can't escape this in a good deal of the USA, particularly the further south and west you go. For all the complaints of New Jersey people being rude, or curt, etc, consider that most people in NJ want their kids to excel at school, go to college, and live a life of prosperity. New Jerseyans, on a mass scale, I have to conclude, have senses of pragmatism, thinking for the long term (30-40 years as a vision) instead of five minutes from the present moment, and that translates exteriorly into the communities abroad. I don't enjoy that privilege any longer. When I drive to work, I see trash all over the place, mobile home parks one on top of the next, a trail of evidence that suggests settlements of people living broken, dislocated lives.

I've been all over the country. The USA is beautiful, vast, diverse country. But when it comes to neigborhoods that exude continuity, and people who have history and pride, I can't think of another place in this country that has more plentiful pockets of this condition than most neighborhoods that exist in New Jersey.
This is so true, Mike. It is really a head scratcher that people from other states bash us so much. I think for the most part, that the people in NJ are extremely, for lack of better words, classy. There are so many beautiful, well-maintained towns in NJ. People take pride in their property, and their lifestyles.

Also, somebody in this thread mentioned that the NJ beach water was not clean...this is actually not true. I read somewhere recently that NJ waters are among the CLEANEST. Seriously!

I love the geographic diversity in this state. From the historic brownstones of Hoboken and JC, to the farms, to the mountains, to the beaches...it's really amazing.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:03 PM
EB2

1,923 posts, read 3,734,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
oh no...
I know...it's devastating.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:08 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,880,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Diversity as someone mentioned.

I like the 4 seasons, beach is near by, woods near by, mountains to go snowboarding, we have it all, but not the best of anything. Jack of all trades, king of nothing.

Close proximity to NYC is nice as well, and there are plenty of places to go out at night and socialize, whether its a small town, or closer to NYC. I don't know if I could really live in South Jersey, and if I even consider South jersey party of jersey =x
hey be quiet about nyc, i never go there it sucks, and if anything south jersey is wat gives the state its character, u wouldnt know living in union city

Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 PM

593 posts, read 917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I love the people. I love how we keep it real. When someone says something to you, you don't have to think "what did they mean". It's all there in black and white.
This is one reason why I don't like Jersey. What you're saying is in reference to people being rude and fresh and thinking they have the right to say whatever. They think that being mean or having an attitude gets them brownie points when it will only gets them problems. That whole Jersey attitude is stupid. No need to start problems just because you don't like what somebody's wearing or how somebody looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey