U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 PM

825 posts, read 2,934,483 times

Advertisements

thats y i had the question face next to Kearny. I knew a lot of old school italians from kearny. i hear theres a lot of Portugese, both back then and now. and new latino immigrants, but there everywhere. i'll remove Kearny.

this sucks Italian-American communities are dying. one of the points I was trying to make with this bulletin was that there not dying. but they clearly are. there not nearly as abundant as they used to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:07 PM

NEW ADDITION

****Rochelle Park/Maywood****

Old 01-06-2009, 08:11 PM

517 posts, read 1,706,120 times
I'm glad to see 2 neighboring towns on the list- maybe I'll find a nice, italian around here one day

Elizabeth used to have many italians in Peterstown section but unfortunately, little by little they started moving out.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:19 PM

yeah, I'm sure all the big cities at one point in history had large italian-american neighborhoods. Newark definitely did, as well as Hoboken, Bayonne and Paterson. I don't really hear to much about Elizabeth, or even Jersey City having large italian-american neighborhoods in the past. they all migrated from italy to the major cities, New York being at the top of the list.

you know what would be cool? if there was an easy way to obtain information of town's previous demographics like in earlier years. i know the image of that hard-working, lower middle class, predominantly italian town exists. i just don't know where it is.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 PM

Hoboken- that's where Joey Pants is from (Joe Pantoliano)
another Sopranos man is from Jersey as well (most of the actors were orginally from Brooklyn Edie Falco, Lorraine Bracco, Tony Sirico, etc.)
the big man Tony Soprano (Jame Gandolfini) is from Westwood in Bergen County. big italian area?

has anyone been to the Italian-American festival in Hoboken?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:54 PM

517 posts, read 1,706,120 times
You know that on Sunday I went to return something at Ikea and then went to the cafe near the exit. Guess who I saw- James Gandolfini! The guy behind me shook his hand before I realized it was him. He was there with some other guys- didn't see any purchases- he was getting food. Cool to see him in Elizabeth (my old town).

Old 01-06-2009, 10:16 PM

403 posts, read 1,089,180 times
As far as Essex County goes I always thought Verona had the most Italians.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
You know that on Sunday I went to return something at Ikea and then went to the cafe near the exit. Guess who I saw- James Gandolfini! The guy behind me shook his hand before I realized it was him. He was there with some other guys- didn't see any purchases- he was getting food. Cool to see him in Elizabeth (my old town).
yeah, its good to see the Jersey born celebrities stay in Jersey. Steve Schirippa ditched us for Vegas... altho he's originally from Brooklyn. Bruce Springsteen still lives in the shore area! its all good.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
As far as Essex County goes I always thought Verona had the most Italians.
Yeah you would think so, but it's named after Verona, in Italy. thats a rele nice town, as of right now I'm considering it for future relocation. i like essex county in general, nice place, but very expensive. i'm more partial to it than bergen county. but according to some of the data posted on this thread. Bergen county is #1 and Essex follows.

thank you for your input.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:29 PM

9 posts, read 43,235 times
Live in Lodi........still lots of Italians and Italian specialty stores...mayor is Italian and the old-timers children have bought houses there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey