U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 08:39 PM

825 posts, read 2,934,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Maybe he's not a racist, but just concerned about all the organized crime in these Italian communities.
organized crime in the Italian-American community (Mafia) is virtually dead. it is certainly dead in New Jersey, any activity that you may hear about (East Hanover, Godfather's pizza... yadda yadda) there just small time guineas (it's chill, I'm Italian. i refer to myself as a guinea all the time) its so rare.

personally i would worry about lower street crimes. cuz those can actually be harmful to you. and most (if not all) of the Italian communities mentioned in the thread are very nice towns. some are just more working class/blue collar. doesnt mean its a crime-wridden area.

Strength to Italy, Paisans!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 AM

Towns I am considering for residency:

Nutley
Lyndhurst
West Caldwell
Roseland
Fairfield
Verona
East Hanover
Florham Park (not known for being Italian, but its a nice area)

out of those eight, which one(s) would you suggest? what's good and bad about them? and if what other towns do you think i should look at based from the eight i have already presented? i'm looking for a nice, strong Italian community and a good place to bring up kids.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:51 AM

you can also add West Orange to the list above ^

Old 01-15-2009, 07:42 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,739,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
Towns I am considering for residency:

Nutley
Lyndhurst
West Caldwell
Roseland
Fairfield
Verona
East Hanover
Florham Park (not known for being Italian, but its a nice area)

out of those eight, which one(s) would you suggest? what's good and bad about them? and if what other towns do you think i should look at based from the eight i have already presented? i'm looking for a nice, strong Italian community and a good place to bring up kids.

Just my humble opinion, from best to worst (take with a grain of salt):

Florham Park
West Caldwell
East Hanover
Verona
Roseland
Fairfield
West Orange
Nutley
Lyndhurst

The first six towns will be expensive, along with the decent areas of West Orange. (Most of West Orange is nice, but there are some pretty bad sections as well.) Nutley is a little more "consistent" as a town than West Orange, but is a step below West Orange's nicer areas. The housing is more affordable though. Lyndhurst is not quite in the same league as any of the other towns.

You made some good choices, if you can swing the $$$. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 PM

2,715 posts, read 10,339,068 times
Nutley!

Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Just my humble opinion, from best to worst (take with a grain of salt):

The first six towns will be expensive, along with the decent areas of West Orange.

You made some good choices, if you can swing the $$$. Good luck!
i checked some of the listings in those areas, they weren't too bad. Florham park was around 700K and everywhere else was around 400K and 700. its a lot cheaper than where i am now. i guess that's why others say it is expensive, cuz i'm used to seeing houses go up in the millions around here. however, i did see some places in Florham Park that were a good 3 million.

you may ask why I wish to relocate to Essex, theres nothing to do out here where i live in Morris. at least in East Hanover/Florham Park i'm close to Essex and i don't have to pay the ridiculous taxes.

thanks for the help.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:57 PM

21,274 posts, read 5,845,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
Yeah, thanks to everyone who contributed. My personal search to find out more about my heritage is going well. It's good to hear other people's voices, especially because I am not familiar with Bergen County, which is the #1 place for Italian-Americans in Jersey. #2 i believe is Essex, which is closer to where I am.

does anyone know about any shore areas or areas down in South Jersey like Hammonton? that area is #2 in the nation! which is more abundant for the paisans, North or South or even Central Jersey?
At one time, Tom's River had a large Italian population. Haven't been there in a few years so I don't know if it still does.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
At one time, Tom's River had a large Italian population. Haven't been there in a few years so I don't know if it still does.
i think it still does to a certain point. its one of the largest towns in NJ. i see a lot of these guido kids on myspace too, a lot of them were from Toms River.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:50 AM

370 posts, read 1,266,425 times
If your budget isn't an issue than I think West Caldwell and Fairfield are great options. The are very nice towns and might have a lot more going on than where you are now.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl08 View Post
If your budget isn't an issue than I think West Caldwell and Fairfield are great options. The are very nice towns and might have a lot more going on than where you are now.
do you know where mendham is? that's where I am now, it's terrible. we're hicks compared to people from Essex and that area. my goal is to get out of here soon, hopefully within the next year, i'll being going away to college hopefully in South Orange.

but yeah, when your making statements about the towns I listed, you can use Mendham as a comparison, if you have heard of that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey